cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problems

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Speed Problems

if you are switching it on and off you are causing the problem.  leave it on.
From previous comments from you, it appears that you have it off and then switch it on at about 1700 at night.  that is A) the worst time of day and you are likely to collect a bad snc.
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
if you are switching it on and off you are causing the problem.  leave it on.
From previous comments from you, it appears that you have it off and then switch it on at about 1700 at night.  that is A) the worst time of day and you are likely to collect a bad snc.

I have left it on for the last two weeks
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK, this thread has been going round and round for too long and is in danger of disappearing up it's own rear orifice.
Your connection is obviously dropping but we are no closer to finding out why. If your details about your distance from the exchange are accurate then you have a rubbish connection or the stats are wrong. The one time that you posted any stats from a different router it did not include the SNRM figures, and you have not explicitly stated that you have tried another filter. If this is the same router and filter that you have been using since you were on a 1M connection, or even earlier, especially considering the change in stats when you did a firmware upgrade, then I'm not prepared to trust them unless they can be proven consistent with results from another router that has been used for several days.
You must (borrow and) try a known good router, preferably new(ish) and a known good filter - a decent quality one, poor/faulty filters can affect you connection speed because of bad matching to the line, and using another connection cable (doen't need to be an expensive screened one). You must also do this with a corded phone connected in place of the DECT one. We will need to see regular stats from this combination over several days, preferably with some from daytime and some from evening or any other times where the SNRM is changing. We are only interested in the ADSL stats at this time (as I think you know), that is Sync (connection) speed, Attenuation & Noise Margin (SNRM) both downstream and upstream.
In summary, from the information available, your line length is about 2.4Km, you seem to have an NTE5 master linebox with no hard wired extensions. Your stats were the same plugged into the master socket or the test socket (proving no problems with the faceplate connection). Unless you are using a long extension lead (possibly a 4 wire flat type) between the master socket and the filter, an i-plate is highly highly unlikely to be of any benefit and even in this situtaion its effects would be negated by use of a filter that doesn't meet the BT spec.
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone

You must (borrow and) try a known good router, preferably new(ish) and a known good filter - a decent quality one, poor/faulty filters can affect you connection speed because of bad matching to the line, and using another connection cable (doen't need to be an expensive screened one). You must also do this with a corded phone connected in place of the DECT one. We will need to see regular stats from this combination over several days, preferably with some from daytime and some from evening or any other times where the SNRM is changing. We are only interested in the ADSL stats at this time (as I think you know), that is Sync (connection) speed, Attenuation & Noise Margin (SNRM) both downstream and upstream.

My connection doesnt drop.  It has been on for 2 weeks.  Previously I used to switch it off when not in use ( which makes perfect sense for saving power in general).  Plusnet told me to leave it switched on.  So I cant retest with another router.
as you can see from my router stats it has dropped by half - no hardware changes. I have tried a different filter & double filtering.  Looking at the wiring it there is no ring wire connected.  Router is connected directly to master socket with 1m cable (as has always been the case for the last year).
Tried fault test...Exchange Status is UNKNOWN
So I would like to know (pref from cc) when can I safely disconnect and test with another router?Huh
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You say your connection doesn't drop then why does the sync speed change between the various router stats you've posted?
It's dropping and resyncing, unless you have been re-booting after you've been advised to leave it on. A guy from CSC posted earlier in this thread that your connection had dropped 26 times so far on that particular day. Now with all the plugging, unplugging and etc. you may have disturbed what was causing the problem and it has gone away, but there will have to be a lengthy period of stability with NO sync changes if that is the case and for anyone including CSC to believe that. You say no hardware changes - others have already said something HAS changed, we just don't know what. Your Router may have gone faulty, we know it is mis-reporting some data. That is why you must try another "good" router. As already advised the best time to re-boot if needed, that includes swap, switch on etc is daytime when your noise margins are highest. You then need to leave things running for a lengthy period, several days, with NO CHANGE in sync speed for your connection to be seen as stable.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable and qualified people on these forums many of whom have been working in these arenas for years, but this is not an official CSC support channel.
Quote from: okmbok
So I would like to know (pref from cc) when can I safely disconnect and test with another router?Huh

If you do not wish to accept the advice of the many experts around here, I suggest you just raise a ticket rather than ask here, but you will end up getting the same advice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It is quite possible (and highly probable in your case) that the router has lost sync and reconnected within the space of 15 seconds without you being aware that it had happened (you might have seen a small delay while browsing or you may not have been using your computer). You need to look in your router for a figure showing how long it has been connected (on Netgear DG834 series that is called connection time). That should be showing well over 300 hours by now if you have been connected for 2 weeks.  Alternatively look in your routers log for reconnection events.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
okmbok
Grafter

If you do not wish to accept the advice of the many experts around here, I suggest you just raise a ticket rather than ask here, but you will end up getting the same advice.

What is wrong with that question??
What is the criteria BT use for degrading the line profile and what is the criteria BT use for improving it?
James
Grafter

The criteria for the raising and lowering of the IP Profile is the synchronisation speed.
There's a lot of information about speeds and ip profiles in this blog.
link:speed
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
The criteria for the raising and lowering of the IP Profile is the synchronisation speed.
There's a lot of information about speeds and ip profiles in this blog.
broadband speed faults how to diagnose

3 days to improve profile & 75mins to degrade it.  Is this still the case?
Can I get BT to lower the noise margin back to 6dB?
James
Grafter

1-5 days and 75 minutes.
It varies depending on how big the difference is.
okmbok
Grafter

1-5 days and 75 minutes.

Its 13dB d/l    20db u/l atm
James
Grafter

That looks like your attenuation rather than your synchronisation (sometimes called connection) speed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually noise margin - but then again it still isn't speed  Grin
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Actually noise margin - but then again it still isn't speed  Grin

I was asking about the 6dB noise margin thingy..
Anyway take your pick
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 992 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48 db 14.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 19 db
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

1-5 days and 75 minutes.

Its 13dB d/l    20db u/l atm
James was referring to the difference (change) in speed not noise margin.