Speed Problems

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: iplate

Quote from: okmbok
Where do I find my BRAS profile?
This is your BRAS profile
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
   Your DSL connection rate: 2016 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
   IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
   Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 873 kbps
If you want to check your Plusnet one go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you borrow another router and see what that reports
okmbok
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: What can I do to get back to 3.5mbps???

Quote from: okmbok
Queit line test ok.

With a low background hum I'm far from convinced that this is the case!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi okmbok,
I've just tried to test your line and it showed as the router being off - if you let me know when it's on I'll try again and see if we can get some more details.
puddy
Grafter

all this rubbish about if you have nothing else connected to your router line or buying a clone cheaply or just cut the orange wire it won’t help etc it’s not true
I have a perfect setup i.e.  my BT exchange is across the road I sync at 8128 my adsl/router line as no sky no fax no phone no alarm system etc, but if you look at my stats below you can see the errors are very very low so my BT-I plate does work
We should all buy one there worth every penny
Link Information
Uptime: 10 days, 22:10:00
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1.01 / 15.61
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 9.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 3.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 13.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 41 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 41
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 23
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Puddy that is rubbish!
Nobody has said an i-plate won't work - but first the reason needs to be determined to find out what is wrong.
If you ring up the doctor and say "I'm ill, give me a prescription for penicillin" will he just write it out without finding out what the problem is. He'd look a right charlie if he did and you actually had appendicitis!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Doctor am I in trouble - I live 1.5 km from exchange, I dont have a master socket so cant fit an I plate, I have a 40 year old small white socket only.  I sinc at 8128 and have a 7150 profile, what should I do Puddy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In amongst all the stuff posted in this thread, there are a few of things worth noting.
Whatever ISP you are using, it will NOT affect your sync speed.
Latest stats from  the OP show a change in DS attenuation from 52dB to 47dB, and Noise margin from 12dB to 14db. This strongly suggests a potential connection/noise on the line problem (although there is a firmware upgrade in between this shouldn't cause this disparity).
It is a waste of time doing further speed tests until the source of the problem is found and fixed and the sync speed is back up. Router stats are the thing to monitor.
You should not request a reduction in SNRM until the problem is fixed, if it goes back up again you may have a hell of a job getting BT convinced to reset it on subsequent occasions.
An I-plate will NOT cure noise problems related to a connection/joint problem.
When Orbrey went to do some tests, the router was off, if it switched on after dark - when noise levels are generally highest - you will sync at a lower speed. If you switch on and off too many times in a short interval, some say 5 times in and hour, the exchange will automatically raise the target SNRM and you get lower sync speeds.
Recommendations for the OP are do all your tests initially with a corded phone only connected (and switch off any DECT stuff). You must try 1) another filter 2) borrow another router/modem to check for consistency and eliminate them as the cause.
Do you ever get drops in your connection? Also gently wiggle ALL you connectors and cables to make sure you don't have a faulty one anywhere.
Monitor your router stats regularly (and post some of them here), immediately after switch on (gives best indication of current target SNRM), and also when you notice changes.
If your connection drops, pick up the phone and see if you can hear any noise/crackles on the line at the time (unfortunately - incoming ringing, or sometimes just using the phone can cause bad joints to connect ok for a while). HTH.
Regards.
okmbok
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Hi okmbok,
I've just tried to test your line and it showed as the router being off - if you let me know when it's on I'll try again and see if we can get some more details.

Its on now
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2016 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48 db 14 db
Noise Margin 11 db 20 db
puddy
Grafter

rubbish or put it a better way
plusnet told me it won't make any differance to my connetion, so look at your fec errors etc and see how many 100's you have over the last 10days.  my fec errors stll show 0.
Most of you say a clone i-plate works better but were did you get that info from? Cutting the orange wire etc.  one isp told a customer the earth quake in the UK was why their connection was so slow
Now correct you on the Doctor snipe if you have problem with low download speeds dropped connections it very worth while fitting an i-plate and a lot cheaper than getting BT to come out, which is why BT spent months on R&D.  it saves them money and  not going on site some isp will send them  out free on problem connections
puddy
okmbok
Grafter

Ok
I borrowed a siemens Speedtouch 4100/4200
VPI/VCI Protocol Admin
Status Oper
Status Tx-Rate
(kbps) Rx-Rate
(kbps) Tx-PDUs Rx-PDUs Tx-Errs Rx-Errs
0/38 PPPoA UP UP 448 2112 3937 3531 0 88

ATM Status
  Status Uptime
(hh:mm:ss) Max. Theoretical Speed
(bits/sec)
UP 00:10:12 2112000

okmbok
Grafter

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 2112 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1104 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers

pierre_pierre
Grafter

looking at your reply to PN, you seem to have your router turned off when you finish for the day, and then switch back on when you get back home after 1700 hrs, that is the worst time of day you could possibly choose, the line speed regularly drops at that time of day and you are lumbered with that sync until you turn it on again.
the general accepted practice is to leave your router on 24/7, the best time to switch on is just before 0800, or earlier.  give it a try
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Cutting the orange wire etc. 

From advice I got on here disconnecting the orange wire made a huge improvement with my connection IP profile sync and speed.
For example my IP profile went from 1500 to 4500
Quote from: puddy
snip> very worth while fitting an i-plate and a lot cheaper than getting BT to come out >snip

For you maybe but lots of people don't have a  master socket to fit the iplate to, including me.
I have learned that to optimise your connection you have to start by ensuring the wiring in the house is correct. Then you can start adding your gadgets