Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problem

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Problem

Hi et0,
I think it was just a case of the wording. The ticket ticket actually says, 'I can see that on our systems you connection has been limited due an error' and I can understand why this could be interpreted as by mistake. When I checked for you earlier I looked at the delta reports (on BT systems we can see changes in the BRAS profile) which showed your connection was restricted to 500 by the DLM and then lifted once it deemed those connections not to be caused by a fault.
Hope that clarifies that a bit for you.
Jojo Smiley
stepea001
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi et0,
As you can see from the graph below your line is very stabe. It looks like, to me, that those drops after 8 last night have caused the drop in profile. It has gone back up to 3000 now though so if you do a disconnect then reconnect via your router interface you will see the difference.

Jojo Smiley

thanks for the graph, if you look at the previous graph, there were many sessions closed and failed connections, I believe this is a problem my Billion 7300g router, therefore I started using my old usb modem to test which plusnet supplied some years ago - this only stays on when the PC is switched on, creating gaps in the graph.  I've ordered a new Draytek router which I should get in the next few days.  You suggest I leave this router switched on, never done this before but when I get my new router I will do as suggested.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI stepea001,
I would suggest leaving the router on all the time. I can't remember the last time I switched mine off. If you do need to turn off the power then it is always advisible to go into the router interface and disconnect there as this will not show as a dropped connection on the system.
Jojo Smiley
stepea001
Grafter

HI stepea001,
I would suggest leaving the router on all the time. I can't remember the last time I switched mine off. If you do need to turn off the power then it is always advisible to go into the router interface and disconnect there as this will not show as a dropped connection on the system.
Jojo Smiley

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Steve
et0
Grafter

Hi et0,
I think it was just a case of the wording. The ticket ticket actually says, 'I can see that on our systems you connection has been limited due an error' and I can understand why this could be interpreted as by mistake. When I checked for you earlier I looked at the delta reports (on BT systems we can see changes in the BRAS profile) which showed your connection was restricted to 500 by the DLM and then lifted once it deemed those connections not to be caused by a fault.
Hope that clarifies that a bit for you.
Jojo Smiley

Heh, not really to be honest Smiley    Yes, I didn't recall the exact wording.
So the error was the DLM system restricting the speed for no particular reason?   As I say it was like that for a couple of days before I tried investigating it last night (and in turn caused reconnections).
I wonder if that it the same cause for the other users speed problems at the moment.
Anyway it seems you only have to ask to get it fixed, so that's good.
stepea001
Grafter

even though the speed has improved slightly, only slightly mind - with the router being left on continously when haven't I seen my broadband speed go back to it's original speed.
Another question that hasn't been answered, why are so many users having the same problems.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

If you keep your router on 24/7 and It does NOT drop connection all the time your speed will eventually Improve, Other users have different problems, I myself am not suffering slow speed's. Hope that answers your question.
Edit. And In any case the speeds you get depend on what your router can synch to the exchange at, So If your synching at 8128 Down expect good speeds usually.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stepea001,
Your sync rate is currently 7616 so it shouldn't be too long until it picks up the IP profile. I'll check it later to see if it's lifted and adjust the PN profile if necessary.
As far as seeing lots of faults on here, it can seem like that sometimes but bear in mind that most people only come on the forums when they have a problem and I can assure you that it's only a small percentage of our customer base. If there were as many faults as there are sometimes perceived then our support channels would be inundated.
Jojo Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Have a read of this to understand a bit more about speed's, Not that It matters much due to traffic shaping.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
stepea001
Grafter

Problem with the router last night, disconnected in the middle of the night.  No doubt this will cause problems with my speed.
I've received and installed today a new Draytek router which I will leave on all the time, so I'm hoping that the speed will increase as I understand this router should be more stable.
Fingers crossed.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: stepea001
a few weeks ago my Billion router has been dropping connection a lot,on.

Oh no  I have just brought a Billion 7800N router
should i send it back and stay with my speedtouch while i am within my 14 day return period? 
i did see they come with a 2 year warranty but if they are rubbish it’s not worth setting it up
my speedtouch drops my out going voip calls only on my Grandstream GXV3005 but works fine with incoming calls and works on all my other voip devices
I have re-set the router loaded  newer firmware and did the same with the GXV3005
I have even tried different voip providers
Could it be a NAT problem?
any advice welcome
puddy
i have asked on the voip support but no joy
stats speedtouch 716wl
DSL Connection 
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 17:43:23
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 120.98 / 322.84