cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Problem

stepea001
Grafter

Speed Problem

Why does it seem over the last few days many users are experiencing speed problems - I've had a problem since the weekend.
I thought it was a problem with my BT line but surely if so many users are posting problems, then could the problem be with plusnet.
25 REPLIES 25
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Speed Problem

Welcome to the Forum,
What speeds are you getting and what package are you on?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
stepea001
Grafter

Thanks
package Broadband Your Way Pro
downstream is between 6800-7600 kbps.  I've tried an old usb modem & also a linksys router, thinking the problem was at my end.
current speeds about 400 kbps - so way down on what I'm use to.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Can you post the results from a test with this link please...http://speedtester.bt.com/
And also what It says here( You will need to log In for this one)  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
stepea001
Grafter

I've raised a broadband fault checker - why is it so many plusnet users are having the same problems.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 409 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 500 Kbps
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Im not sure Im just a meer customer but them results you have just gave me suggest a fault somewhere, How long have you been a Plusnet customer?
stepea001
Grafter

not sure how long but at least a couple of years.  It's only been a problem since the weekend, same as many others it seems.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

You running any extensions and do you use sky at all? are you keeping your router on 24/7, If not you should keep it on and hopefully If It remains stable your speed should up a bit.
stepea001
Grafter

a few weeks ago my Billion router has been dropping connection a lot, so I tried my old usb modem - worked fine with that. 
I've ordered a draytek router which is on it's way to me, however it doesn't explain that since the weekend, a number of users having speed problems.
It hasn't been kept on all the time, with the usb modem, you connect when the PC is on.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes mate and I think there lies the problem, BT DLM will be thinking you have a problem your end everytime that usb modem connects and disconnects and so DLM has lowered your profile to try and stabilize your line.
Edit, Best I can suggest Is you get your new router pronto mate and make sure Its on 24/7 If you do need to reboot do It between 10am and 3pm, Plusnet Is not whats letting you down Its the problems your having with connection thats letting you down.
stepea001
Grafter

Hopefully arrive by the end of the week.
But one thing I can't work out is why all of a sudden many users including myself seem to have speed problems all at the same time.
et0
Grafter

Yes, I've only had PN for a few weeks, and have had an apparently steady connection in excess of the estimate (2M) during that time, but it suddenly dropped to 500 at the weekend and hasn't recovered - modem noise report and sync speed is still good, and the IP profile is at 3000.  Maybe it's the weather Wink
Have asked a question through support anyway.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stepea001,
intermittent connection has caused the speed to be dropped to 500k, If you continue to sync at your current rate of 7616 then you will see it lift to 6500. Looking at this you may have been turning your router off. Have a look here for some tips on troubleshooting a dropping connection. These are your connections over the last 7 days.

Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi et0,
As you can see from the graph below your line is very stabe. It looks like, to me, that those drops after 8 last night have caused the drop in profile. It has gone back up to 3000 now though so if you do a disconnect then reconnect via your router interface you will see the difference.

Jojo Smiley
et0
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
  Ooh, I got one of those graphs, cool!
The drop-outs last night were actually me trying various things to resolve the problem which had persisted since the weekend.  Moving the router to the master socket, logging out and trying the bt_test_user thing (that doesn't work by the way), and so on.  None of that made any difference.
As I said I raised a ticket today.  It was answered after about an hour, saying that my profile had been restricted "by mistake" and that they have now reset it to 3000, which as you pointed out has happened.
So, I'm happy, if slightly mystified why it was restricted, as it appeared to be stable at a rate higher than the estimate since I was first connected.
Thanks again.