cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Nudge Please

timb27uk
Dabbler

Speed Nudge Please

Shortly after I joined the 21CN trial, my connection was banded at 4540 with a D/S SNR of around 6dB.
I asked for it to be removed and got an approx. 5600 connection, but not long after, the D/S SNR jumped up to around 15dB and I was banded back at 4540...
I became resigned to this and had a pretty stable connection for months, but on 11/08/10 I noticed that I'd got a D/S 5630 with 6dB SNR (with no prompting from me!)
That was great until 13/08/10 when the sync speed dropped to 5079 with around 5dB SNR, but still good enough for iPlayer HD!
On 15/08/10 I noticed that I'd only got a sync speed of 1941 with around 9dB SNR, but only a couple of days later realised the cause - I'd connected a mains powered USB2 1TB HDD to my Apple AirPort Extreme - It was only when it had been connected for maybe an hour or so that the Internet connection dropped, and when it reconnected it was very slow...
After I'd realised this, I removed the USB2 HDD and left everything powered off overnight, but when I powered back on next morning, I only got a connection of around 2200 with around 16dB SNR!
I've tried power cycling the router a few times (with several days between!) to see if the speed would increase but I'm still stuck at 2269!
It's extremely stable, but I'd really like to try to get back to the 5000+ if possible!
PlusNet username: timbrown
Cheers!
12 REPLIES 12
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Speed Nudge Please

Hi timb27uk,
It's not just a case of a nudge, but I see that your connection seems a lot more stable now. I notice that the banding was placed on it after your interleaving was changed to fast path. May I suggest that if the banding is removed we put interleaving back on to reduce the chances of it being banded again?
Jojo Smiley
timb27uk
Dabbler

Hi Joanne,
To be honest, I hadn't realised that it had changed to fast path;  I use RouterStats to monitor my Netgear DG834v3, and even now it says I'm interleaved!
Whatever you can do would be much appreciated - I had no issues with interleaving before!
Many thanks in advance,
Tim.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Tim,
I can't make any promises, but what I will promise you is I will do my best to help you.
Jojo Smiley
timb27uk
Dabbler

Many thanks Joanne  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi timb27uk,
I'm still trying to get that done for you but I'll keep you posted.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi timb27uk,
I have now had the banding removed and interleaving on, this should make it more stable. It shouldn't take too long to take effect so let me know how it goes.
Jojo Smiley
timb27uk
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Blimey  Grin
...just checked, now 5790 w/ 4dB SNR...
...I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes!
Many, many thanks!!!  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hehe, well don't let's get our hopes up too much but great so far then Smiley
timb27uk
Dabbler

I'll do occasional BT speedchecks to see when the line profile increases, then check my ADSL speed on the Portal...
When they increase, I'll disconnect & reconnect the routers' Internet connection and see what speeds I get.
Thanks again Jojo  Wink
timb27uk
Dabbler

I've just done a BT Speed Test and noticed that my line profile is 7000  Smiley
I did the router disconnect / reconnect, but my Current line speed (via the Portal) is still 1750...
Any chance of a bump?  Smiley
TIA,
Tim.
timb27uk
Dabbler

My line appears to have settled down now, but I'm getting sync d/l 4435 snr 12dB, u/s 444 snr 12dB... My Netgear works fine with snr down at 6dB fine - any chance of adjusting it, please?
Also, my PlusNet reported line speed is still stuck at 1750, even though the BT IP Profile is 3500... I was expecting it to have caught up before now! (5 days!?)
timb27uk
Dabbler

...my PlusNet reported line speed is still stuck at 1750, even though the BT IP Profile is 3500... I was expecting it to have caught up before now! (7 days!?)
Any ideas why it hasn't caught up, even after a week?