Did you mean: 

Speed/Line Issue - what to do next?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Speed/Line Issue - what to do next?

Ash,
Are you in a rural area?  Aluminium is really bad news.  There is every possibility that you are now on the best of a poor bunch of poor quality pairs.  Will have to wait and see what PN get back from BTOR when they close out the visit.  I went six months with such malarkey from BTOR before Chris got his nimble fingers around their throats.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragona
Grafter

Yep, Rural area here, on approx 3km line, his parting words were to hope that you get fiber soon, unfortunately no announcement on superfast wales for our entire county.
Ash
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ash,
If the local d-side infrastructure is poor, FTTC is not going to deliver much (if anything) in the way of improvements.  VDSL deteriorates worse than ADSL over long d-sides.
I've asked this before, but had no response from anyone more knowledgable.  Given that FTTC is effectively moving the dslam from the exchange to a local cabinet, where d-sides are long and unsuitable for VDSL why cannot ADSL be facilitated instead between the cabinet and the premises?  Thereby on 2+km d-sides subscribers might see mid to high teens of Mbps service.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dragona
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
If the d-side is cab to premises than it's only a few hundred meters from what I've seen in the roll out in other areas close to me is they've taken overhead cables down and replaced them before the cab becomes enabled, though even with funding FTTC still seems like a pipe dream out here..
Connection seemed to settle down a bit after the post last night but still issues similar to previous, i think if this is a long term fault i may ask for upload to be uncapped again as it was capped in case it was causing an issue, though not really sure if it will cause a problem will have to see what Chris & Team come back with.
Ash
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just replied to your Ticket.
dragona
Grafter

Yep just spotted that, will perform reset at around 15:00 its nice to see it hasn't been put back all the way to 6db hopefully it wont start to drop again this time Smiley
Ash
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yeah, I thought that 9db would be more suitable - trying to find the right balance Smiley
dragona
Grafter

Reset around 3pm however just had the PPP session drop 23 minutes in although sync was maintained with exchange, I recall having this issue right when i first reported a fault, seems something i need to keep a closer eye on for me.
Is this sort of behavior on the line uncommon? I know i only started to see it on my line at the end of last year though i haven't seen it for quite some time now if i recall when i had the issue on the n55u the router used to show an error along the lines of a magic packet not being received or similar.
Ash
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The line looks fine at the moment and your SNR hasn't shot up. I'm not too worried about the disconnection if it was just once. I think we should keep an eye on things and if the disconnections continue or become more frequent, we should probably take another look.
dragona
Grafter

Disconnect & Resync at about 17:30 no real reason it seems, noise was acceptable snrm was stable looking at router log it seems the line disconnected like before with no re sync, reconnected for 3 and a half minutes and then disconnected & Resyncd at a lower speed and higher SNRM (12db now)
Ash
dragona
Grafter

another PPP session lost thismorning around 05:15 am, it seemed to reconnect though when looking at main router page no ip was listed.

My guess would be that i obtained a BT ip address when re authenticating, this used to happen when i had this problem at start of fault however my router is now configured as static IP as opposed to DHCP so this may be why it showed blank?  Last time if i obtained a BT ip it would then automatically disconnect PPP session a while later to obtain correct ip, I'm just assuming the above based off what would happen on occasion last time. I could try setting it to DHCP to obtain my static IP if this continues to be frequent.
Ash
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ash,
The WAN side of your router should always be set to DHCP.  If you have been assigned a static IP by PN this is managed by DHCP.  Not setting the router to use DHCP can cause other connectivity issues - e.g. Gateway and DNS addresses.
PPP sessions can be dropped from time to time due to maintenance work in numerous parts of the solution space - both within BT and PN systems.  Normally if correctly configured there will be an instant reconnect.
Kevin