cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues

BukBuk

Speed Issues

Hi folks
            Over the last few days i have noticed a massive drop at all times during the day of my download speeds, started when i was trying to download Sup Com 2 off Steam, hitting only 80kbs when usually i get between 250 to 300.  I started off by using Speedtest to have a look at what was happening with things and i was suprised to see that i was getting very little off my "up to" 8mb connection that i have had with PN since late 2004.
I have a few routers kicking about the house, a CISCO 1701 is the main war horse and a Linksys WAG54GX2 should the need arise that i have to use it.  So with the thinking that the cisco was on its way out i ran a Speed test on it and then ran a speed test on the linksys.
Results are below.
Cisco 1701

Linksys

Still very low for my liking.  I had a mate who lives about an 1hr away also on plusnet, on the same package as me and he landed in with 6mb+.  I know that its all down to the local exchange, but he lives about 2miles away from his, I'm about 1/2mile from mine at the most.  He lives in a large town, almost city sized area.  I live in a small village and there isnt many people on the exchange.
Previously when i had a speed issue i was getting somewhat better speeds

i have also completed 3 BT Speed test, but think i will need to do 3
Another test i ran was to download Windows Service Pack 3 Network install and monitor the download speed and time.
At 2100 08/03/2010 the fastest speed was 13.1kbps.  In 5 minutes i had downloaded 1.3mb according to Firefox. Now if i wanted that sort of speed i would have busted out my old PACE 56k modem and downloaded it.
I have also tried a BT Speed Test Part one information is below.
Download  Speed 572 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed 7150 Kbps
Download speedachieved during the test was - 572 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7424 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
The IP Profile is down from 6000 on a previous test but i belive that to be normal.
I have followed the on screen instructions for starting Test2 but when i use the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net it will not completed it just 404's / server not found.  I can browse the site http://193.113.211.125/digitaldemo/ which works using the above test_user.
High-speed Broadband info from PN site.
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
I'm at a bit of a loss as to why my speeds have dropped so much.  Any help would be really helpful, point in the right direction.  As at the minute gaming is a nightmare due to pings be so off sometimes, and downloads are taking an age.
Cheer
Dee.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Speed Issues

Your speeds are consistent with the PN Profile (Current line speed) being set to 750kbps. That implies you had a sync in the range 864-1120kbps, suggesting lots of noise on your line at the time.
Your BT IP Profile is currently 5500kbps and once the BT delta report filters through to PN their profile should rise to match it. That can take 12-24 hours. If you want to hurry it along I suggest giving the CSC a ring and asking for the PN Profile to be changed. (It might be necessary for a supervisor to do that for you.)
David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Basically at some point over the last few days you've had a low connection which has caused the IP profile to drop.
This has now increased to 5500 and I've nudged our side to match, you should be able to see higher speeds on a speedtest now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BukBuk

thanks folks for the replies, dont know what happened last night think there was a power issue or something round here, speed tests havent gone up
http://www.speedtest.net/result/742514275.png

but i did run another BT speed test and it seems to have gone all pear shaped.
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed 630 Kbps

1000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 630 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6688 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
how long does it take for the IP Profile to update? i think the router must have synced a few times last night
BukBuk

nevermind had a look at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83722.0.html
so will just have to wait.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BukBuk,
It looks like there might be an intermittent connection issue, though your present connection has been ongoing since yesterday morning so I expect the lower speed you're connecting at has stabilised things. Having said that it may well be worth raising a fault as your slower speed might be below the fault threshold rate on your line which we'd be able to escalate for you.