cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues, Plusnet ignore...

amerrigan
Dabbler

Speed Issues, Plusnet ignore...

Gonna post my ticket here for you guys to read, plusnet have capped my connection and are ignoring my ticket requests. I spend 5 days a week fault finding network connectivity issues for a living.
Plusnet are selling their service on "good, honest broadband", [Censored] more like.
Question #36697946 - Your Feedback
< Back
Your Response
8:50pm, Wednesday 3 Nov 2010
[Support Wizard Journey]
[Additional Information]
Once again my speed has been capped, I am getting a connection speed of less than 0.5MB/s (0.32MB/s on average). I currently sync at 3500KBPS+ My "down" attuneation is 50.5DB, SNR Margin is 9.0, 12.9DB Output Power. No lost packets, very low error ratio, I have enabled/disabled QoS.
I have done all the usual speedtests, BT line Tests, call up BT they find nothing, I have changed all ADSL filters in the house (there is nothing unfiltered), I have plugged straight into the master NTE5 socket, with and without filters.
I am a network Engineer and before you ask your generic questions, yes I have done all the tests you can think of. This is the second time that this problem has occured with plusnet, I believe either you are capping my line intentionally or my IP profile is shot.
I noticed BT doing some work last Friday up the road and the connection hasn't been the same since. I large file transfer running at night and don't really download much during the day so it isn't a ratio cap (unless you lot are being unreasonable).
the only thing I can do my end is change the router, but as I mentioned this is the second time I have had to complain about this (last time miraclously) it went back to normal the next day.
I'd appreciate you letting me know if you find the fault and coming back to me with it, It would be helpful for the next tech who has to deal with this issue. Provided of course I stay with you, seeing as BT infinity is only a month or two away...
Copied To: t<removed>
[removed] - CSC Analyst
3:42am, Thursday 4 Nov 2010
Dear Mr Merrigan,
After looking at the connection logs on your account I can see where there is a potential issue, as your connection keeps dropping (you may only notice this as a reduction in speed).
The reason for your slow speed is due to disconnections. Your line speed has been reduced to try and stabilise the line. Whilst ever the disconnections continue the line speed will remain the same. Slow. We can increase the speed manually but as soon as the disconnections start again your speed will slow down. This could happen in a matter of minutes.
Before we ask any diagnostic questions can you please advise that you leave your router switched on at all times. We can not monitor your line if you only switch on the router to connect to the internet.
If not can you leave the router switched on for 24-48 hours and reply to this ticket so we can check what your line is like.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
[mremoved]
Your Response
9:45am, Thursday 4 Nov 2010
I had no problems with stabilty until Friday, I did see a couple of BT vans and the end of the road. I'm guessing the BT infinity roll out was responsible for the up's and downs.
I do regularly reset my router myself, not through fault but for maintaince reasons. I am running a heavily modified sagem router, I will verify this isn't the problem by testing the line tonight with a borrowed router from our stock items.
Can you please increase the profile on my line, I believe it's capable of 3MB, given the attuneation, noice and power output.
0.3MB may be stable, I know I pay for the line and not the connection speed, but that's unusable...
Your Response
7:43pm, Thursday 4 Nov 2010
I've tested the line using a draytek vigo 100 ADSL2+ modem and got exactly the same connection speed. My wiring, both BT and my own are fine. My router is fine (although I do reguarly d/c it myself).
I'm giving you til Saturday AM (basically when I wake up) to sort this out otherwise I will terminate using your service and take my business elsewhere. As I have already said I am a network engineer and am expected to work from home at times, supporting clients network infrastructure which I cannot do on a 0.3MB/s line.
STOP SHAPING MY TRAFFIC!!!
Your Response
8:56pm, Thursday 4 Nov 2010
Results using bt speedtest (and their PPP login).
-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Results Image not loaded
This Last Test comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
1528 Kbps
0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1528 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3687 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 12.85:22.51:64.64 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
355 Kbps
0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 355 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the second test.
Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.]
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  personal email address removed ]
13 REPLIES 13
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Speed Issues, Plusnet ignore...

Can't see anything wrong with the response from Plusnet which contains very sound advice but I can see something wrong with what you are doing.
The BT systems require the line to be syncing with no unexpected disconnects for up to 72 hours before they raise your IP Profile.
Do you know what your target noise margin is (the noise margin immediately after a resync)? If you've been resyncing a lot the BT DLM may have increased your target to try and stabilise the line.
As for taking your custom elsewhere, it would have to be to a LLU connection, going to any other ISP using BT you would face exactly the same problems.
Edit: You will get in trouble with the moderators for posting agents names. See forum rules
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
amerrigan
Dabbler

The Ip profile is currently 2k (usually 4k), my connection is 300 down currently...
I know I've screwed the current IP profile over the last few days, with line tests, filter changes, unplugging/replugging, rewiring (removed bell wires in extentions) and general fault finding. However this was done after my speed dropped (or capped) to 300 on Friday evening and not the cause of it.
SNR is about 8 after a sync, well within threshold.
Fibre (Virgin/BT) is a viable option when it's rolled out here in December.
As for trouble with mod's it not as though they are going to make my service any worse now is it Tongue
martin2006
Grafter

hi, i am not up to the same expertise as you guys but i know when i had horrendous speed problems a few months ago it was because bt had stuffed my phone line betwenn me and the exchange.
prior to that to rule out any problems on my side, i fitted an adsl filtered face plate, so no other filters were required, from adsl nation, good quality cable to my router checked my router with an alternative but now have a good netgear, but the main thing was i left my router connected for at least 10 days and only reset if told to do so by pn which i understand was to let he BT DLM system to find its best speed, which if you keep disconnecting will only get slower and slower as you know
i then worked with the forums and pn guys and my speed is now rock solid at top speed for 8mb connection and my speed tests show 6-7k.
as far as i know, pn cant influence your sync speed with the exchange but they can work with BTW  to solve the problem which is what happened in my case
as i say being an expert i am sure you know all this but if you find a good pn guy to work with either via the forum or by phone i am sure you will get it sorted. the ticket system in my experience is ok to log the fault so you have a reference but it will be the forum that will solve the problem as you have stacks of experience chipping in. patience was the best tool i had to fix the issue which i needed plenty of
good luck
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

• Your IP Profile is indeed a "cap" on your speed

• It isn't controlled by Plusnet or any other human agency

• The only thing Plusnet could do is to reset your line to retrain, thereby wiping the slate clean

• There isn't really any point in this if your line suffers frequent disconnections as it would just go bad again

• If the frequent disconnections are down to a line fault and not just you then get Plusnet to investigate; they seem to be good at getting problems fixed eventually, but you may need to be patient

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi amerrigan,
I've just ran a line check and your profile has now moved up to 3000, so I've matched our one to it. If you disconnect then reconnect via your router than you should see the speed increase.
Jojo Smiley
amerrigan
Dabbler

Guys I appreciate the help, don't get me wrong.
My frustration was not with the IP profile (as it resynced at 4k on Monday), but with my frequent requests with Plusnet support to match it to their own (which was 0.5k ish).
Jojo has worked her magic and I'm sure when I get home reboot and resync I will be fine.
Thanks
Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi amerrigan,
It may have already done it for you by the time you get home so just check before you reboot. I'll certainly pass on your comments to the tech team managers though as it should be something we are able to do quite simply for you.
Jojo Smiley
martin2006
Grafter

i say what an attractive lady Jo is, i think i'm gonna bust my BB Shocked
Martha
Grafter

And incredibly talented too, If I may say!
jim:quote
martin2006
Grafter

i can only guess what the previous post said, but hopefully staying within the rules i shall end my comments with ' i bet '  Tongue
dick:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

all you had to do was look at the coloured print, it was that you should not quote the previous post, now your quote will also disappear when a Mod wakes up
martin2006
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
it was that you should not quote the previous post, now your quote will also disappear when a Mod wakes up

oops, nearly did it again then
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats better