nick1066
Grafter

Speed Issues: Nick1066

Laptop
Toshiba
Windows 7
Almost unuseable speeds.

130 kbps down       140 kbps up
Only had Plusnet 3 weeks and the speed has gone down steadily since leaving Virgin.  I am a long way from the exchange so never expected much but from around 800 ish to this is awful.
51 REPLIES 51
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Wireless issues with Thomson v8 (after firmware upgrade) Updated.

Welcome to the forums.  Smiley
Those speeds are poor; do you get the same results using a wired connection? From a wireless perspective it isn't clear from your post whether you've updated the router firmware to v8.2.7.8?
Have you followed the tips in the slow speeds guide?
Sorry lots of questions, but forum members will be happy to help you get the best from your connection if you provide the feedback needed.
David
nick1066
Grafter

I did manage to upgrade to the newer firmware on Friday and the router is currently using the BT test socket.
Just carried out a new Speed Test:
Wireless -                Download = 100 kbps & Upload = 190 kbps
Wired -                      Download = 130 kbps & Upload = 380 kbps
We are 2/3 miles from the Guestling exchange but I seem to remember Dial-Up wasn't so bad!!  I raised a ticket on Friday but no reply yet.  I am no tech head so only  changed the filters and router when Plusnet started.  Everything else remains the same.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Since your upload speed on a wired connection is normal the poor upload speed over wireless appears to be due to the problem that is the subject of this its original thread.
As far as download speed is concerned at that distance from the exchange, as you said it won't be marvellous. Was the 800kbps you mentioned with Virgin on a BT line, not cable?
Don't want to take the present thread further off topic than we already have so would you mind if I ask the moderators to split these posts into a separate thread? If you post your router stats members can then get a better understanding of your data and hopefully help you get the best from your line.
Is the ticket you've raised a fault ticket or a generic one?
Edit: to reflect topic has been split from another thread.
David
nick1066
Grafter

Splitting the thread is fine with me.  I kinda just jumped in to the first thread........but thank you for your help - I feel a bit alone here and with a 12 month contract ahead of me.
The higher Virgin speeds were by BT line (no cable here & no pavements either) and I cannot vouch for the speeds all the time but I could, for example, download a TV show overnight quite happily but it took three nights with Plusnet. 
The ticket was raised last week after going through the troubleshooter and I have no idea how long the wait is for a human to look at it. Anyway, here are the stats:
Uptime: 1 day, 10:09:33
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 620 / 576
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 224
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 227.71
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 15.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 72.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 15.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 147 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 131,074 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,100 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 374 / 835
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 127 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 91 / NA
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Re: Speed Issues: Nick1066

The mods have kindly split this from the original thread so we can focus on just your issues.
Thanks for providing the router stats, they do put things into perspective. With 72dB attenuation broadband speeds are a matter of pot luck but perhaps you are better placed than urban areas - fewer junctions in the line. With your current sync speed of 224kbps you will have an IP Profile of 135kbps though the Plusnet Current line speed in the Member Centre probably says 250kbps (limited slots to fit the steps in). The sync speed will have gone down because your Target Noise Margin (SN Margin) has been raised by the DLM, probably to 15dB.
At the moment you are plugged into the test socket - as required when a fault investigation is in progress, and I don't want to suggest anything that might interfere with the Fault Team's analysis (eg causing you to disconnect). However were you connected in this way when you first started with Plusnet and had the higher speeds? Have you a record of the router stats when you first connected?
What's at the back of my mind is trying to work out what might have caused the DLM to increase the Target Noise Margin. Were CRC and HEC error rates high, did you suffer disconnections, perhaps caused by power cuts?
David
nick1066
Grafter

Started off in the regular socket.  Only moved it when the speeds started to drop and didn't take any router stats at that stage.    Someone at Plusnet has tried to help by manually changing the speed profile.
30 plus hours later, the download speed is 100 and the upload 12.
It took several minutes for this page to load. 
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Has any information been added to the ticket the reports line test results? This might be marked "internal" - often accompanied by lots of cryptic abbreviations.
If you are still synced at the same speed as before I wouldn't expect speedtest results to change (and even after sync speed increases it could be a couple of days before the DLM responds and throughput speeds increase). Bit puzzled by what "changing the speed profile" actually means, wondering if it's Current line speed in the Member Centre?
David
nick1066
Grafter

I've carried out a series of tests on your connection to determined the cause of your speed fault.Tests have shown that your speed was reduced due to a few drops in your connection. As the connection has remain stable for a few days now. I have manually amended your speed profile for you.

The above is a quote from their message.  Yes, there are LOTS of figures, stats, etc. after INTERNAL but what they mean is beyond me.  Anything I should be looking out for?
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nick,
Basically there's still an LTB (lower threshold breach) apparent on your line, that is to say you're in sync below the fault threshold rate. I've passed this on to one of our faults agents and this should get raised for you this afternoon.
dcampbell

Hi Mr Davey,
I've just reviewed your speed issue and subsequently raised a fault with our supplier, who are now requesting appointment times for an engineer.  I have sent you a text message requesting suitable times for this engineer so please either respond to that message or call us on 08451400200 to advise when you would be available.
nick1066
Grafter

BT Engineer came on Friday.  Ran tests and replaced the faceplate.  No problems their side at all and whether by coincidence or not the speeds went up to over 500 kbps (which after 100 was brilliant).  He said that it could get up to around 800 kbps.
Joy lasted for all of Friday but from Saturday onwards it has dropped to about 250 kbps (same when wired) and has been like that ever since.  Upload speed is about 165 kbps (375 when wired).
Engineer seemd to imply that from now on it was up to the computers to monitor it but clearly they haven't noticed what has happened since Friday........
Can anything be done now?Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume your target noise margin was reset to 6dB when the engineer visited, but has since increased again to 15db. Was Saturday a wet day?
Please post your router stats again.
David
nick1066
Grafter

Nice day here on Saturday.

Uptime: 0 days, 2:32:18

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Channel mode: Interleave

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 644 / 1,120

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 960

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 22.96