Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues - Frustration setting in

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Speed Issues - Frustration setting in

4dB variation is not good either. If it can be reduced a bit all to the well and good.
home99
Grafter

Hi,
I need to clarify I think as even I am confused:
Initial issue intermittent slow speeds, ie could not view low res video, slow webpage loads. This started approx 2-3 weeks ago. Synch speeds appeared to be normal, approx 1400 kbps throughout this period.  Connected to professionally fitted extension which is a permanent fit from main socket to study.
Loaded Router Stats which showed erratic noise spikes. 
Started using Engineers Test socket - issues still apparent however synch speed was higher by about 500kbps.
Started using main socket - issues still present, sync speeds approx 1400kbps.
Connected back to extension synch speed dropped to 136kbps on Friday - not sure how long for as it occurred while I was at work.
Connected to main socket since Friday and the noise spikes are extremely erratic - constantly up and down, speeds still slow.  Its like a graphical representation of the Himalayas!
All equipment checked and changed.
So while I understand the link to the extension surely the issues would not still be present when connected to the main socket?
Dave
Anotherone
Champion

Yes it would, because your extension wiring is not disconnected until you remove the front plate from your Master Linebox Socket - unless of course the extension wiring has been incorrectly & possibly illegally connected direct to the BT incomer. Is there any wiring on the back of that front plate?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There are several issues here.
When using the extension the cabling is such that the signal is heavily degraded - only affects the ADSL when using the extension.
When using the master socket (but not the test socket) the extension cabling is still connected to the line but may not degrade the signal if it doesn't cause intereference. However it can but to a lesser extent.
When using the test socket behind the master socket all internal cabling is removed from the line and any faults should be external to the property.
However there is one important qualification to that last statement. It assumes that all extensions are connected via the faceplate - the bit you take off to access the master socket. Sometimes installers (specially Sky and Monitored Alarms) hard wire the extensions to the connections at the test socket. If this is the case it must be corrected first.
Anotherone
Champion

Jim typed a fuller & better explanation. In additional to what he said, those installers can also sometimes hard wire onto the BT incomer between the Master LineBox Socket and where the cable gets to your property - also illegal.
Did you pay for this "professional" extension? and even if it's correctly connected to the faceplate, you still don't want (or need) the bell wire in a Broadband situation.
home99
Grafter

Ok - I see where you are coming from.
I paid 2 x ex BT engineers to install the extension about 2 years ago (yellow page job).  Never had issues until 2-3 weeks ago.  When I removed the faceplate on Friday and connected to the test socket, as far as I can remember, there were no 'wires' connected to it.  All wires were connected to the faceplate.
However I will double check this evening when I get home from work.  Can I post what wires I have where for your opinion please? 
I do appreciate your help by the way.
Thanks
Dave
PS Is it illegal to stay connected to the test socket permanently for better speeds?

James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
There's no problem connecting permanantly to the test socket.
There's a few people that do it.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, that's fine Dave, no problem, we try to help where we can.
home99
Grafter

Thanks  Smiley
I have also just purchased a 'Filtered ADSL faceplate for BT NTE5 master socket' from ADSL 24.  Instructions for fitting are quoted as
"To install this filter, you need a standard BT master socket, known as an NTE5. An NTE5 socket is the type which has a removable faceplate, where the bottom part of the faceplate can be unscrewed. Simply unscrew the bottom of the standard faceplate, then screw in this filtered faceplate."
Does this mean I can install without messing about with wires (if the socket is a standard fit)?  I will also look at the bell wire while I am at it.
Dave
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That depends.
If there are any extensions wired to the existing faceplate you will need to reconnect them using the special tool
paulby
Grafter

I will also look at the bell wire while I am at it.

You won't need to disconnect the bell wire if you fit one of these - it's done for you. 
To reconnect your extensions you'll need to get a punch tool - you can get a plastic one for a couple of quid or a professional one for about £10-£15.  Your local B&Q should have them.  This page has some examples.
Note the colour codes on the wires and which pin they're connected to and reconnect the same colours to the same numbered pins (generally 2 and 5 with the ring wire on 3).
home99
Grafter

Thanks  - you must have read my mind.  Special tools!!!!  Crazy
Dave
home99
Grafter

OK I have removed the faceplate and taken a look.  Seeing it in the flesh makes your posts seem so much clearer!! All of the extension wires are connected to the faceplate:
Green with White Band - 1
Blue with White Band - 2
Orange with White Band - 3
White with Orange Band - 4
White with Blue Band - 5
White with Green Band - 6
Does this look right?
I am assuming that when fitting the filtered ADSL faceplate and I no longer require the extension then I can simply remove the bottom cover and screw on the ADSL filter faceplate?
Dave
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: home99
Does this look right?
NO!  Crazy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: home99
Blue with White Band - 2
White with Blue Band - 5

Leave those connected. Pull all the others out.
Do the same at all the extension sockets.