Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues - Frustration setting in

paulby
Grafter

Re: Speed Issues - Frustration setting in

@home99
Have you checked the staus of your exchange - you can do that here.  What does it say under "VP Capacity"?
If this is showing as red then it's the likely cause of your problems and there won't be a lot you can do till BT add extra capacity (basically you'll be getting hit by contention).  Note - the checker was last updated 15/12/08 so the status may be out of date (it may actually be red even if it says green!).

home99
Grafter

@ aidewoo - unfortunatley hardwiring my PS3 to the router isnt an option.
@jameseh - If there is a chance that it may make the connection unstable I think I will leave it as it is as my gaming comes second to internet access.  Do you think its worth raising a ticket to see if there are any other issues?
@Paul03 - I have checked the status of my exchange reguarly during the past 2 weeks and yes although it is out of date it has always reported green.
Dave
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
Would you mind reconnecting to the internet so I can check your line?  If it's not showing any errors then interleaving being turned off shouldn't be a problem.
home99
Grafter

Jameseh,
Unfortunately I am posting this from work and will not be able to reconnect until 1800hrs. 
Dave
James
Grafter

Ok!
Would you mind leaving it on during the day tomorrow so I can check then?
home99
Grafter

Yes of course - I appreciate your help.
Dave
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi home99,
Whilst we deduced your profile is 1500 from your initial post, and there has been a lot of ping and tracert figures in this thread we've not seen any router ADSL stats. This may give us a better idea of what is happening and enable some more informed advice in addition to the results of James' line checks. From your router ADSL stats the figures of interest will be sync speed (line rate), attenuation, Signal to Noise Ratio Margin (SNRM) both Downstream and Upstream.
Regards.
home99
Grafter

Yes, understood - I shall post them when I finish work tonight.
home99
Grafter

Hi,
As requested by Anotherone:   

Downstream                Upstream                       
Connection Speed  1920 kbps                448 kbps
Line Attenuation       56 db               15.5 db
Noise Margin         10 db                     20 db
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Nothing too unusual there. Is there anything that tells you the amount of corrected/uncorrected errors on the line? Whilst you could probably squeeze a little bit more out of your sync speed with a lower target SNR, there's nothing in the figures you've posted that should stop you streaming video Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

home99
Grafter

Hi Bob,
Tonight is probably the best connection I have had for some time, and as Sod's Law dictates, streaming video is actually streaming - typical.  Not sure how to get the data on corrected/uncorrected errors!
I will leave my connection on tomorrow while I am at work and let Jameseh take a look.
Dave
home99
Grafter

I tell a lie - just tested streaming video again on various sites and its extremely sluggish once again - so too the loading of webpages, eg bbc.  I rebooted and now connected at the following:
Sad
Connection Speed  1760 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation     56 db       15.5 db
Noise Margin           9 db         19 db
Dave
home99
Grafter

@Jameseh,
Morning - connection left on today as requested. 
Tried to do a bit of online gaming again last night but still terrible!
Dave
James
Grafter

Hmm.
No obvious line errors (although the test I run is fairly short), with an SNR of 11dB and a sync speed of ~1900Kbps.
Does your router report line errors anywhere at all?
home99
Grafter

Hi,
I have delved deep into the router setup and cannot find anything relating to line errors, although I have to admit unless it says "These are your line errors"  I could be looking at them in the face.
If it appears failry stable then could I have interleaving switched off please?  Although I realise this wont solve the other speed issues.
Yesterday evening when I first connected the speed appeared to have resumed to normal - streaming video was fine, however after a short time even very low res video grind to a halt and webpages took an age.  However a thinkbroadband speed test and a PN speed test both reported decent speeds.  (BT speedtest still wont work even after a Java update)
I just dont get it!
Dave