cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues After Several Weeks

liamb2001
Grafter

Speed Issues After Several Weeks

Hi guys, ive been with plusnet a few months now and initially i was really pleased with my connection i was doing speed tests and getting 68mb down and 16mb upload speeds consistantly and websites would load fast. And even got a letter from plusnet stating my line was capable of 78mb... a few weeks on my connection tests show ive dropped down to 57mb and i frequently find more and more websites having loading problems and as a web designer this can be a little annoying especially when its with my own hosting company.
I was previously on sky 16mb and never had these problems, my line was always consistant
Ive not changed any equipment and have put everything back to basics eg my comp connected on a network cable plugged into main socket with just one device connected but im still getting it
Is there anything I can do at all ? I dont understand why i was told my line was capable of 78mb but im only getting 57mb and why im getting these web page loading issues, i know plusnet have their little line fixer app but it doesnt work on windows 8
would really appreciate any advice or help, ive tried resetting, changing network cable etc with no luck
21 REPLIES 21
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Speed Issues After Several Weeks

Hi there,
Sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing. I've just been running some diagnostics that don't show any obvious issues on the network. Keeping in mind that the browsing problem is most likely a separate issue here I'm just wondering if you'd mind trying a direct connection from the PC to the fibre modem to rule out the router and see if that helps?
A guide has been published here which admittedly is for windows 7 and vista but the basic principles should be the same for a Windows 8 machine.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
liamb2001
Grafter

Hi i will give it a go plugged straight into the router and report my results thanks
liamb2001
Grafter

Hi i just plugged my laptop straight into the router and the speed test gave me the same results, is there a reason its not as fast as it was when i first signed up ?  can you send me the link to the guide you mention please ?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The guide is here.
If there's no improvement then I'd suggest running through our faults wizard.
liamb2001
Grafter

i will do thanks
so basically by a quick look from this i connect directly to the BT modem and setup dialup (not done that in a while lol) and test what connection is then ?
I take it this then elimates the cause being the router ?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, that's pretty much exactly it Smiley Either way though we should be able to help improve things.
liamb2001
Grafter

Its givimg error 651. I dont think i have the  correct password. Its not the one i login to plus.net website is it and i cant find the peice of paper with my details on you sent. Is it possible for you to email me my password ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The password for connecting to Plusnet should be the same as you use to login to the Member Centre. Are you using the correct broadband username? That should be yourusername@plusdsl.net
David
liamb2001
Grafter

Hi ive tried using those same details, with my username@plusdsl.net with the password i use for member centre and found my plusnet letter to confirm its same password but for some reason its not working i get erorr 651, how can i resolve this ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The document is over 3 years old but Microsoft's thoughts on the 651 error can be found here. Also suggestions from TP-Link here.
Have you tried restarting the BT modem? Doing that seems to be one of the easiest things to try.
David
coolkat
Dabbler

I too  have speed issues,I know that here in Norfolk our broadband speed leaves something to be desired,but my broadband speed is even slower now, Sad Sad
How can I speed it up ????? :
liamb2001
Grafter

Hi, i tried those two guides including restarting router, restarting modem, setting lan to full 100m duplex, disabling firewall, security and anti virus but it made no difference at all i still get Error 651 and ive tried this on my Main PC and my Laptop
would really like to get this resolved , thanks
liamb2001
Grafter

I was just mentioning my speed to my neighbour and friend and just popped into his house and did a speed test on his computer and got the result 73mb compared to my 57mb, hes with BT Infinity so does seem to be an issue with Plus net  Lips_are_sealed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We are seeing connections (you're showing as connected to us now for the past 3 hours) but it looks like there might be an intermittent fault on the line - I'd recommend running through the checks at http://faults.plus.net, if they don't fix it it'll raise a ticket to our faults team who'll get this sorted for you.