cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue

niknaks2
Hooked

Speed Issue

My broadband speed has come to an almost grinding halt and barely registers 0.3mbp. Web pages frequently time out instead of loading. I've tried Firefox, Google Chrome and Explorer browsers but have the same problem with all so it's unlikely to be a browser issue. All browsers currently uptodate.The broadband is in a single person household so no competition from other users and yet speed hardly registers. I'm so fed up that on a whim I've contracted with another provider but in the meantime I'm still paying Plusnet for something they are not providing.

EDIT: Just completed the speed check recommended by Plusnet and received results per attached image.

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Speed Issue

Have you done on your LAN connection, as opposed to WIFI?
Ideally plug your router into test socket on your OpenReach Master Socket;
that eliminates internal phone wiring issues.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @niknaks2 and welcome to the Community Forums.
I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent. Checking your connection from this side I can see currently we are picking up your router however the details it's currently trying to authenticate the connection with aren't matching to our side. This looks to have started since you sent your previous message yesterday and follow the steps below will show you how to update the authentication details manually to get back online:

1) Open up a webpage and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.254

2) When you connect, you will see an option listed as 'Broadband Username' followed by an option to the right labeled 'Change' which you will need to click on.

3) You will now be prompted for a 'Router Password' which is listed both on the back of the router and on the card that came with the router.

4) You will now be asked to input your username and password from ourselves, if it does not allow you to change your username and password, please press 'Disconnect' first. Your username is username@plusdsl.net and your account password is the same as what you would use to log into the members center. Input both of these and press 'Connect' and you should now be online.

Testing your line we aren't identifying faults being flagged and from what I can see on your connection test there looks to be an awful lot of errored seconds but no reason for them. I'd advise once you've follow the above steps in authenticating the connection and getting back on line to run through some troubleshoot steps your side that may help identify what's being the errors we can see this side and the impacted speeds.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the connection and speeds return to normal. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Feel free to let us know when you're in this set-up and we'll happily re-test from this side for change.

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Let us know how it goes

niknaks2
Hooked

Hi

Not sure how to test LAN only but will try to figure it out when I get home this evening. I thought that I was testing the LAN as my PC is connected directly to the router via cable - not using wireless.

Many thanks for the helpful links @Gel but unfortunately I can't read through them as the only place I can get some internet access is during my lunch hour at work and there's always something else that needs doing those lunch breaks. But thanks anyway.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @niknaks2

If you're connected via ethernet it should default to just testing the LAN - if you want to be sure, most laptops have a shortcut for turning your wifi off (or you can do it from within Windows).

Let us know how you get on in the test socket.

Dave

niknaks2
Hooked

Hi Ben

I tried to follow your instructions when I got home yesterday evening but had no success as the IP address you provided takes me to the Technicolor Gateway where I have to login as admin using the password that came with my router. I tried numerous times and was finally able to log onto the Gateway site but there was no 'Broadband Username' option listed. The only option was Broadband Internet and when I selected it I was only given an option to 'Connect' which I tried but was taken straight back to the Gateway login page which I had to try to log into again. I made a few attempts but just went round and round in circles.

In the 'Broadband Internet' section there is a listing for DSL connection and I tried accessing that. It contained my username and presumably the password I'd originally selected when I joined Plusnet some 5 or 6 years ago. Once again connection was unsuccessful and it simply produced a screen stating that my "DSL is down".

I've tried resetting the router. No success.

I've tried unplugging the phone line and just leaving the modem connection. No success.

I've tried turning the router off for a period of time. No success.

I've tried logging in using all the Plusnet usernames and passwords I have but none appear to work. No success.

There is also a lot of noise on my phone line (loud crackling) and this is a fairly recent phenomenon - I've noticed it for the past 10 days or so but as I don't use my landline for much else besides internet connection I can't say for certain when this started.

niknaks2
Hooked

Thanks Dave. My PC is antiquated as technology goes and doesn't have an inbuilt wireless antenna. I unplugged the external one years ago and to be honest I don't even know where it is anymore. I always found direct LAN connection more reliable than wireless so I've always only used LAN on the PC. My phone, tablets, laptop and TV are the only devices that use the wireless connection.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fair play - it will definitely be testing the wired speed then.

Give us a shout later on when you've got into the test socket and we'll be happy to retest this for you.

Take care

Dave

niknaks2
Hooked

@RandallFlagg 

Thanks Dave but it's unlikely I'll be able to get back in touch until tomorrow - when I'm back at work and have access to the internet again. I remain hopeful but doubt I'll be able to access my broadband this evening, even after I get into the test socket.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just whenever is convenient for you will be fine, @niknaks2

Dave

niknaks2
Hooked

@RandallFlagg 

Hi Dave

A quick update as promised.

1. Significant noise (crackling) on phone line has disappeared since yesterday.

2. I could not log in to test master socket until just now as I kept getting a message that my DSL was "down". I changed the microfilter and this seems to have resolved that issue.

3. Master socket test results per attached image using the BT Wholesale site linked in Gel's initial response.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm really sorry none of the troubleshooting steps helped with the speeds, I've ran a couple of tests over the service today and the speeds are essentially 0.2mbps. I'd ask that you raise a fault, give us a nudge here once done and we can progress from there.

Thanks.