cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Faults

Teflonmike1
Dabbler

Speed Faults

To say I'm not a happy bunny would be an understatement! After going live on the 8/4/10 I got around to trying to use it on the 10th but kept getting invalid username/pw response.  Raised support ticket and despite "Not finding any faults"  Huh  I tried it again this evening and was able to connect. Average speed 288k !!  Line speed is set at 250k at BT speedtest ????  Why is this ? My previous isp 02 were pushing 5.8mb/ps on a good day.  Responded to ticket at 8pm and have heard nothing..  Other posts here seem to indicate I won't either.  It may be teething problems but I'm beginning to regret choosing Plusnet.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 148 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :288 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 22.3:10.14:67.57 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
Phone exchange:
    ARROWEBROOK
Estimated line speed:
    5 - Checked on 2010-03-24 21:57:49
Current line speed:
17 REPLIES 17
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: Speed Faults

Clearly something's not right here. Your estimated speed (which is usually on the conservative side) is 5mb/s, so you should be getting close to that at the very least. It's probably a teething problem, maybe to do with your initial difficulties in having your ID/PW accepted. If so things should improve over the next few days. (But I know how frustrating it is when things don't work!) Try rebooting your router each morning (but don't do this too many times in a short period).
Could you post your router stats: line speed, attenuation and downstream noise margin (SNR)? That should provide the information needed to estimate what kind of speed you really should be getting. If you don't know how to get these stats, just say what type of router you have and someone here will tell you how.
In the meantime it's likely that someone from PN will pick up on your post and take a look.
If the worst comes to the worst and things don't improve, the big difference between your estimated speed and your actual speed means you should be able to leave promptly and with no penalty - but don't give up just yet.
Graham
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your router is only syncing at 288 Kbps so something is very wrong.
Have you double checked all the router settings and also tried in the test socket to see if you then sync at a higher speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Teflonmike,
Your connection logs are showing that you had an incorrect password in the router up until early this morning. I'm not sure why the slow speed but I'd recommend trying the test jelv mentions above - if your speeds increase then it's definitely something plugged into your internal phone system that's causing the slow speeds. Is everything filtered, including a sky box if you have one?
Teflonmike1
Dabbler

Thanks to all for the help..

"Could you post your router stats: line speed, attenuation and downstream noise margin (SNR)? That should provide the information needed to estimate what kind of speed you really should be getting. If you don't know how to get these stats, just say what type of router you have and someone here will tell you how"
I'm not technically savvy enough to give stats but I'm using a speedtouch 330 USB which is what I had with my old isp and got aforementioned speeds..
"Your router is only syncing at 288 Kbps so something is very wrong.Have you double checked all the router settings and also tried in the test socket to see if you then sync at a higher speed?"
Please see above..
"Your connection logs are showing that you had an incorrect password in the router up until early this morning. I'm not sure why the slow speed but I'd recommend trying the test jelv mentions above - if your speeds increase then it's definitely something plugged into your internal phone system that's causing the slow speeds. Is everything filtered, including a sky box if you have one?"
Hi Matt, I just dont see how my password didn't change until early this morning, when I was connecting to you at 8pm last night (albeit V slow)  and given that I had not changed username or password since my initial problems with connection... By the by I use the same p/w now as I did with 02... Connecting directly to the main socket with all else disconnected shows no speed improvement at all.  I'm also pretty mifffed that even though the support ticket remains open no one has got back to me re my further comments posted at 8pm yesterday.
Regards 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unfortunately getting the stats from your router isn't easy.
Have a read here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#44
jelv
Seasoned Hero

1. Even if you get the problems causing your current issues sorted, USB modems are not recommended - I'd suggest you look at upgrading to a router which will be a lot more reliable.
2. The master socket is not the same as the test socket which is inside the master socket:
Teflonmike1
Dabbler

Thanks Jelv I'll try that.. I intend buying a modem/router tomorrow on the offchance present is faulty
regards
jim:quote
twentythree
Grafter

Plusnet should be able to provide you with one for just the price of the P&P (£6.99 I think)
Teflonmike1
Dabbler

Good idea, but... if I buy a router tomorrow and I'm still getting woefull speeds then I'm cancelling the contract with plusnet.  It wasn't an auspicious start with activation dates etc and my confidence in them is deterioating at a rate of knots especially after everything I've read here.
Thanks for the input though.
Regards
jim:quote
Teflonmike1
Dabbler

So bought a new modem/router today and instead of getting 288kbs I'm now getting the giddy speed of 175kbs!  Btspeedtester wants me to do further tests but am unsure how to do this as I'm connecting through a "always on" thingy..
Anyone know how I can? 
I also notice that no reply was lefty by plusnet staff on this thread  Angry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you post the statistics reported by your router please: sync speed, noise margin and attenuation. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php has instructions for a lot of routers.
Teflonmike1
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Can you post the statistics reported by your router please: sync speed, noise margin and attenuation. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php has instructions for a lot of routers.

My new router isnt listed ,,  its a Dynamode  R-ASDL -C4- W-G1  at pingnet my line quality is excellent .. sort of rules out issues with fiters etc wouldnt you say?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you find the stats I requested?
Teflonmike1
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Can you find the stats I requested?

Sorry Jelv I cant ..  they dont list my router.......  and I'm not IT savvy ..