Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Fault

ColinW
Grafter

Speed Fault

Hi,
I have had a fault on my line for 13 days now. Yesterday an Engineer from Openreach made some repairs. The line seems to have improved but because of the 13 days of prior faults my profile is stuck at 250 Kbps, whilst my router is synced at 7168 Kbps.
I would like my profile reset to something reasonable so that I can monitor the line and determine if the fault has really gone away. I have requested Plusnet support to ask BT to rest the profile, I do not want to wait for 72 hours to find that I still have some sort of fault, or worse that the automatic profile change has become stuck. I would like a reasonable line speed so that I can monitor the connection.
It is very difficult for me to see if anything is happening from looking at my fault ticket 29134515, can someone please advise.
Regards,
Colin.

18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: Speed Fault

Hi Colin,
Now that you are syncing over 7000Kbps, as long as this remains stable, your IP Profile will increase in the next day or so.
Promise Smiley
ColinW
Grafter

James,
Thanks for the quick reply. This morning the BT Openreach Engineer phoned me to see if my connection was OK, as I said at 250Kbps a piece of wet string is likely to work quite well. He is phoning me again tomorrow, it would be rather nice if I could give him some more positive information.
This seems a strange situation, where the fault that caused the 250Kbps profile might have been fixed but I cannot tell for 72 hours, I have already waited 13 days to have a reasonable speed with lots of apparent, but invisible to me, BT diagnostic action, but no real fixing until yesterday. 
Colin.
James
Grafter

Hi Colin,
It's BT that control the IP Profile and not us.  the engineer would be able to request a recalculation of profile should he elect to do so.
However, because you've had a fairly hefty jump, your profile should lift fairly quickly.
ColinW
Grafter

Hi James,
Thanks, I am aware that BT control the profile. I find it very difficult to know however who is responsible. From my point of view Plusnet are my provider and it is they who should be responsible to achieve speedy fault rectification. The user, me, seems to get lost in the Plusnet, BT wholesale, BT Openreach mire. The BT Openreach Engineer did not think that a profile reset was part of his remit, Plusnet seem to think I should just wait for things to happen. Meanwhile of course I am paying for an "Upto 8 Meg" connection that I have not had now for 13 days. Faults get boring after a while, especially when you want to test to see if they have gone away.
Colin.
James
Grafter

Hi Colin,
I appeciate what you're saying and I'm sorry it's taken quite so long.
The IP Profile is part of the design of the resold BT Wholesale product.  It's designed to recalculate every 3 days, or sooner if there is a big sync hike - like yours.  Hopefully it shouldn't be long.
mal0z
Grafter

Coin - I sympathise but PN are bound by contract / law in their relationship with BT Wholesale / Openreach - so as much as they may like to help more they have hands tied behind their back - even though PN are part of BT.
as an aside :
Is the profile set up on the DSLAM at the exchange ( the card that is the interface between the telephone line and the data network http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSLAM
and can BT do it remotely - or does it mean a visit to the local exchange.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Colin, run the BT speedtester to check your BT Profile http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ . With that big a jump in speed it should have gone up by now. Then check your PN profile at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed that usually catches up within 12hrs of the BT one. James may be able to kick it for you if the BT one is up but the PN one not.
ColinW
Grafter

Hi.
Result from Speedtest:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 7168 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 167 kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.

I skipped the further testing option, Last time I tried it I did not get very far.
The connection speed on Plusnet is still 250Kbps.
Not sure I like the result of the speed test.
James
Grafter

Hi Colin,
It's a step in the right sriection.  Your IP Profile has now picked up to 1500Kbps, which I've now mirrored on our system.
If you reboot your router, you should notice your speeds going up by about 1Mbps.
ColinW
Grafter

Quote from: ColinW
Hi.
Result from Speedtest:
Your DSL connection rate: 7168 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 167 kbps

I skipped the further testing option, Last time I tried it I did not get very far.
The connection speed on Plusnet is still 250Kbps.
Not sure I like the result of the speed test.

Correction Plusnet speed now 1500 Kbps.
ColinW
Grafter

James,
Thanks for that. My Application Speed does seem to have improved, my test shows a download speed of  1.36 Mbps which I guess is consistent with the line speed of 1500 kbps.
Colin.
mal0z
Grafter

I think James post #1 is now applicable  Grin
Leave the router on overnight and until about noon to 2pm then power down and start up again.
Repeat over two or three days and the speed will climb back up
ColinW
Grafter

My connection appears to be stable, as far as my router stats are concerned, however my data throughput seems low as measured my " Visualware" Application Speed test. This would seem to be borne out by the BT Speed test which gave:
Your DSL connection rate: 7136 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 109 kbps

I tried getting the second part of the test to run but failed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Colin, has you modem/router been on 24/7 since 30/06/09? If so your BT profile should be up by now (if not, it's stuck), not 2 or 3 days with such a large increase, nor should you need to go through a process of powering down two or three times. If you haven't left the modem/router on 24/7 then that will slow the process down.