I just checked the estimates over on dslchecker.bt.com

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 9.5 -- 7.5 to 12 Available -- --  

Looks like you're currently in sync ever so slightly above 15Mbps currently.

I'm not entirely sure why it would be dropping over time to be honest. When I was on ADSL (20CN ADSL) my estimates were around 2-5Mbps, however it looks like they've actually increased to 3.5Mbps-7.5Mbps as 21CN ADSL2+ (4-8Mbps) and FTTC (33-50Mbps) have become available at that house over the past few years.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Speed Degraded Over The Years!

Yes. 7.5 to 12Mbps? Jeez! So whatever happened to 'up to 21Mbps'?

As the router indicated line resistance has remained stable for donkey's years, I can only conclude it must be caused by increasing RF crosstalk due to the growth over the years of FTTC.

ADSL seems to be dying.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

“up-to 21mbps” is the product head line technical specification, the actual speed any individual sees is always a factor of their telephone line quality and length. Two users, one on a 200m line and another on a 4km line will experience markedly different speeds even though they are on the same “up to 21mbps” product.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...We seem to be going around in circles here.

So why, in my case, has an up to 21Mbps line gone, over the years, to a Max 12Mbps specified line?

Unless, as I say, it is a side effect of the growth of FTTC.

Once again, I can vouch for that original 'up to 21Mbps', because I USED to always get ~18Mbps. 

Now, it's down with every reboot - despite the line sounding clear.  Destination 12Mbps?

Over that time the Download line loss remains constant, according to the router stats.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Any news from the OP? I'd be interested to hear how it's going.

TIA

freakent
Hooked

I guess I'm the original OP.

With the noise margin reduced to 3db the router is now connecting at 16451 and the connection is stable. Overall speeds have improved a little too. I have not been there enough to do much testing, but overall seems better. 

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Good to hear things have improved.

From your attenuation stats. your line is pretty well the same as mine, maybe a bit shorter. But your original figure for upstream attenuation looked far too high to me given that for downstream. Here are my current figures:

Payload rate [Kbps]: 15154 1243
Attenuation [dB]: 29.0 15.0  (These figures are very stable over the years)
Margins [dB]: 6.1 6.4

Following an incident last year - when, coincidentally or not, a neighbour appeared to be being attached to fibre - I mysteriously and suddenly lost service, only reliably reestablised over the following days.

As I could find nothing wrong at the time with my line, for the first time I thought to look for REIN using Medium wave receivers. I have a 1970s vintage Grundig Party Boy (not seriously used since the 1970s!) and a 1980s vintage NAD Stereo AM/FM digital (sythesised) receiver. I was horrified at what I found on both receivers on MW; completely thrashed by interference and unusable. As I said at the time, I haven't used MW since the 1970s so didn't have any benchmark as to what is 'normal' there these days.

I have been repeating this exercise the last few days using the Grundig. It's a puzzle. Sometimes there is clearly bad interference on MW (during daylight hours), sometimes with a rythmic 'rotating' character. Other times MW is quite clear and useable. None of this seems to to be due to anything in my premises (provided I keep the laptop away from the receiver! And amusing to hear even a TV remote can be picked up on AM.) and none of it corresponds to anything obvious. There are no nearby commercial premises.