cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Always Dropping During Download

rigsby
Dabbler

Speed Always Dropping During Download

My account is PlusNet Unlimited and checking today my line speed on the "High Speed Broadband data transfer speed" page is showing as 8MB Estimated, 7.1 current.  I've been noticing recently that any downloading I do always starts off at around 770 KB/sec but will then drop quite quickly to a lower speed, normally below 300 KB/sec and frequently a lot lower than that (sometimes < 100 KB/sec).  I'm fairly sure this is a recent occurrence and not something I've noticed in the past. 
I haven't made any configuration changes and have had the same NetGear DG834 PN router for a pretty long time.  I've tried what I can on the "how to get the best broadband speed" help topic other than connecting to the master socket (I don't have a new style master socket to connect to). 
Also, although line speed is showing as 8MB estimated / 7.1MB current, earlier in the day the same page was showing [17MB estimated / 7.1MB current (I have a screenshot of this).  Does this suggest line speed is likely to improve in the future?
Would really appreciate any suggestions on how I might get improved download speeds and in particular how to resolve the issue of a download speed which drops so dramatically during the download.
I'm still planning to upgrade to PlusNet Fibre at some point btw, just waiting for some new power sockets to be installed.
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Speed Always Dropping During Download

The router stats will help to see what is possible but given your previously reported attenuation of 24dB you should get better speeds
Regarding download speeds a couple of questions
Which site are you downloading from and which internet security package are you using
rigsby
Dabbler

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes Pro (paid version).  Which router stats ?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

These? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81948.msg676261.html#msg676261
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rigsby
Dabbler

Ah, sorry here are current stats -
Downstream:
Connection Speed - 8128 kbps
Line Attenuation - 24.0 db
Noise Margin - 8.6 db
Upstream:
Connection Speed - 448 kbps
Line Attenuation - 14.0 db
Noise Margin - 27.0 db
Download sites are varied, for example Microsoft.com training material, data files from landregistry.co.uk nothing out of the ordinary
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I doubt if it is anything to do with it but try disabling MalwareBytes and see what happens
rigsby
Dabbler

When you asked about AV software I did wonder whether MalwareBytes was affecting it.  So I disabled it and tried a large download from Microsoft.  Started very well at 740Kb/sec and stayed there for a while but then started dropping.  Once it got below 100 kb/sec I gave up.
It's interesting to see the change in network utilisation once speed starts to drop (2 screenshots from task manager attached).
Should I raise a support ticket?
Thanks
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You're on full whack ADSL Max 20CN (up to 8Mb) - is your exchange enabled for 21CN ADSL2+? See Sam Knows to find out what is available to you. If your estimated speed is showing as 17Mb it's very likely your exchange has been upgraded but you have not yet been switched over.
The other thing to check for is exchange congestion on the 20CN network - http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/.
rigsby
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies
I've checked for congestion and exchange status checker shows green at the moment.  On Samknows my exchange shows 21CN WBC as enabled.  Is that ADSL2+ or should I be looking somewhere else?  Meanwhile estimated line speed is back at 8Mb.
Thanks again
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's ADSL2+. You can confirm availability using http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome - it will also give you a speed estimate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rigsby
Dabbler

Thanks, yes it shows ADSL2+  with a line rate of 8Mb so I guess the 17Mb estimated that appeared was a temporary aberration .
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Your router stats suggest that you are still on ADSL max (20CN) running at the maximum speed of 8128kbps down. There is noise margin to spare so a useful increase in speed should be possible if you were upgraded to ADSL2+. Possibly the elusive 17Mb if your line is stable and is happy with a 3dB margin, and your upload can be uncapped to at least double your present value. Get Plusnet to check what they are providing, you should be on 21CN. Your router may indicate the ADSL mode - G.992.1 (G.DMT) is standard ADSL max, G.992.5  is ADSL2+.
rigsby
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll get in touch with PlusNet support
rigsby
Dabbler

Plusnet have now checked and tell me that my line is currently ADSL1 so they have placed a modify order to move me to ADSL2+ which apparently uses Rate Adaptive technology.
Is general opinion that I will see some overall speed improvement when this is implemented? And is rate adaptive technology a good or bad thing?  I'm told it will take around 5 days for modification to happen.
Thanks
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Should be great!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager