Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam on my new domain address

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Spam on my new domain address

All these years spam free,  then the  events of the last few months. I now can not believe that I seem to have a problmen with the address on the new free domain.
I have received 2 notifications from Unquaratine@quaratine.plus.com. It appears an ECard from an unknown address has been quarantined by plusnet.
A couple of questions as I've not come across this before.
1 Is this unquartine@quartine.plus.com a ligitimate plus net service.
2. Assuming it is what sort of items are quaraintine (some file extensions but which ones?)
I've hardly used the address other than to friends though I might have the odd registration using it - nothing dodgy!
It's really depressing.
8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Spam on my new domain address

If you have turned the virus checking on then emails suspected as being a virus may be encrypted and you will receive notification from the address you have noted.
Have a look through this page for more info on the virus checking.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Just as a ‘Me To’ note, I have received a spam message addressed to my new free domain this morning. Not your problem I know, but just to let the staff know how easily the free domains can be compromised.
I think this was because I had to register for an activation code for NetObjects Fusion 9 which was a ‘Give Away’ on a computer magazine DVD. The company used to process the application was ask.net and the order confirmation was auto generated by the domain. This as far as I know was the only time I used my free domain name and was actually used by one of my sons as the system already had an activation processed under my real Force 9 domain. Just goes to show how quickly a domain can get ‘out in the wild’ by simply doing something you think is safe.
Regards, P.
PS just to add the sender is supposed to be a free-online.co.uk user (I don't think so!).
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: Pendragon
PS just to add the sender is supposed to be a free-online.co.uk user (I don't think so!).

That last sentence is a bit worrying. Why is there Spam being sent to new domain registrations from a free-online.co.uk account?
Maybe this is just a co-incidence, or maybe the spammers hae used a false address, but equally how did the new domains get leaked in the first place?
Can someone at PlusNet confirm that there is definitely still no ongoing leak of addresses? You haven't got an insider mole have you?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Pendragon had signed up for an offer from a magazine with this domain email address then that is very likely to be the cause of the spam. The 'from' address is easily spoofed due to the very nature of email.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lingbob
Grafter

One of the reasons why a newly registered domain could get spammed is that the domain could have had a previous owner.
Regards .....
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: the
I now can not believe that I seem to have a problmen with the address on the new free domain.

Not sure I'm clear what you mean.....
Is the SPAM addressed to a new mail box you have set up on your account  or do you have a 'catchall' address?
Is the SPAM specifically addressed to: mailboxyouhavejustsetup@newdomain.co.uk
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

[quote=lingbob]One of the reasons why a newly registered domain could get spammed is that the domain could have had a previous owner.
Hmm, possibly - but I am sure they also harvest the WHOIS records. When I registered my first domain (back in 2000 I think it was), it had my address as the registarant details.
I have received Nigerian 419 scam e-mails with my address on them - I can't think of anywhere else it would have come from.
I've registered a new domain and stuck some phpBB boards on there which hardly anyone knew about, and that started receiving spam signups and spam posts with a few days. I wonder how they found the site? Anyway I stuck a anti-spam mod which has managed to stop it Grin
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: MrToast

Not sure I'm clear what you mean.....
Is the SPAM addressed to a new mail box you have set up on your account  or do you have a 'catchall' address?
Is the SPAM specifically addressed to: mailboxyouhavejustsetup@newdomain.co.uk

It is addressed to a mailbox I have set up.
My post stemmed from frustration - I really don't think that it is a problem of plus net's making I must have been nabbed through registering or may be one of my contact's passed on the Email and the address was harvested in some way - goodness knows it seems to be easy enough. I'd be amazed if the domain had been previously used but you never know.