cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Flood

theblisses
Grafter

Spam Flood

Is anyone else suffering from a flood of spam e-mail.  I have received about 150 in the past 20 minutes.
33 REPLIES 33
James
Grafter

Re: Spam Flood

Hi there,
I've just checked my own account and I haven't actually had any spam this year, which probably doesn't help you that much!
RobDickson
Grafter

I've found the opposite - very little in the past 2 days.
dwigger

Hi I had 159 Spam items some with attachments at approx. 12 20 this lunchtime!
Have had hardly any in recent weeks, this last deluge I had was in November 2007
theblisses
Grafter

They are without exception Mail Delivery type e-mails.  There were hundreds in the spam folder on webmail, but still several hundred which got through to Outlook.  Still arriving!
deekay
Grafter

Yes!!
For the past few days, I have been receiving dozens and dozens of the things. About 50% are marked as spam.
They are mostly about body enhancement or the stock market.
Keith
Bookman
Grafter

Yes, me too, loads of mail delivery ones, Google Adwords, stock tips, all the old suspects. It seems to have built up over recent days to a flood. Also there is spam coming through which I have repeatedly marked as spam in my Webmail Inbox but Postini seems to take no notice of it.
I still find that when I mark messages as "spam" by clicking the Spam button in my Inbox they are moved to my Spam box although the options are set for them to be deleted when marked. Then when I go to the Spam box there is a button there titled "Spam" too. Just to be on the safe side I toggle all the spam messages in that box before clicking to delete them. But it doesn't seem to be working the way it's meant to.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Funny thing is two of my accounts are getting totally different types of spam. My main address is getting the usual  ones in English but my wife's account has mostly ones in German. But in both cases the spam flood in the earlier part of the week has died right down
Bookman
Grafter

I've also seen large numbers of spam emails addressed to a valid username at my domain except that one letter is added to the end of the username. This was common in the past but usually each message used a different added letter. In this present case they have been sent as batches, each to one combination of username + letter. I've always used my Thunderbird filters to direct such messages into a spam folder. I assume Postini has problems with them because the sender can just change the letter each day and send another lot. Postini perhaps only learns one combination of username + letter each time!
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes.  My Dad has had 215 messages this morning (he usually gets around 20), most of which were "failure to deliver" messages looking as if he'd sent out lots of emails that were now bouncing back.  None of them got marked as [-SPAM-].  Yet I didn't get an unusual amount of emails or spam at all, and I'm using a mailbox on the same PlusNet account.
I've submitted a question to PlusNet support (ID 24584976).
greyposter
Grafter

My spam has gone since I joined 'plusnet',lucky or what ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The CSC are receiving a slight influx in queries of this nature. It's just another 'wave' of spam that we see from time to time I think. I've certainly not seen anything yet to suggest there's anything sinister behind it. Our mail queues have risen a little over the last 24 hours but not to concerning levels.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chippy
Dabbler

Getting lots here to but they are just blank e-mails,no sender details and no content?
ShaGGyhome

I am getting hammered with failed delivery emails, I have had an f9 mail account for 15 or so years and never had a problem with spam until today, this has got to be something to do with Plusnets servers?
theblisses
Grafter

I agree, but I think I had it a few months ago and it does die down,  But it does make me wonder if moving to to my GMail account might be worthwhile!