cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Filtering

waldron
Grafter

Spam Filtering

My apologies if this is already explained elsewhere, but having spent the past hour reading through various threads, announcements and blogs, I am still at a loss to understand exactly what has happened in the past couple of days.
I previously had spam filtering ON, with the option selected to delete it.
I now find that I have one item tagged as spam in my Spam folder (on webmail), and in Manage My Mail, the setting "How would you like us to deal with messages identified as spam?" has been changed to "Move to Inbox". There is no longer an option to Delete.
I have also started to receive obvious spam (spoofed as if from my own mailbox) which is untagged.
Could someone please explain to me in non-techincal terms how to get back to the situation as I had it before.

43 REPLIES 43
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Spam Filtering

The option to delete tagged spam has been removed, as it was likely to cause serious problems for the 'average' user. (I am surprised your account has defaulted to 'deliver to inbox' rather than 'send to spam folder', though.)
The spam getting through untagged because it is spoofed from your own (or some other) Plusnet address -- this is the result of a glitch that was thought to have been mended.  Are these still getting through? Can you post an (anonomised) example header to help identify the problem?
waldron
Grafter

This is the header from the most recent spoofed email, which I received today. I received similar ones yesterday

Envelope-to: mail@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:47:39 +0100
Received: from exprod5mx245.postini.com ([64.18.0.165] helo=psmtp.com)
  by pih-sunmxcore12.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1JhkOQ-00074w-CG
  for mail@xxxxxxx.plus.com; Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:47:38 +0100
Received: from source ([87.206.108.40]) by exprod5mx245.postini.com ([64.18.4.13]) with SMTP;
Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:47:36 CEST
X-Originating-IP: [87.206.108.40]
X-Originating-Email: [mail@xxxxxxx.plus.com]
X-Sender: mail@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Received: (qmail 4517 by uid 102); Fri, 4 Apr 2008 01:47:44 +0100
Message-Id: <20080404024744.4519.qmail@kw-nesunmv4z8gz>
To: <mail@xxxxxxx.plus.com>
X-pstn-levels:    (S: 0.00000/94.39337 CV:99.9000 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) cv gt3 gt2 gt1
X-pstn-addresses: from <mail@xxxxxxx.plus.com> forward (org good) [db-null]
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
Subject: RE: Gucci 68344
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.5.519 [269.22.5/1357]
Mime-Version: 1.0

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@waldron, can you go to the spam tab in Manage My Mail and click the 'Update Settings' button please (you don't have to change any of the settings)?
We had a problem with whitelisting which has now been fixed but there may be some spurious entries still associated with your account. Clicking the 'Update Settings' button should refresh your account.
The headers you've posted suggest that the email was whitelisted despite the fact that it was spam and I want to make sure it isn't part of Thursday's problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Bob Ive been having perceived trouble with trying to whitelist today, I added to the box, updated and it came back with a red box at the top saying something about a problem please try later, I did this three times, each time I went back to a blank box, which I then populated again, eventually it displayed the successful entries, but some missing, added those and still the error message but the new entries were added.
I have three Plusnet domain names and ticked the box to update all together.
Sorry to post it here but the other new post is so full I dont know if this has been reported before.
waldron
Grafter

@Bob. I did this yesterday when I changed the entry from "Move to Inbox" to "Move to the Spam Folder". However, this morning I have received another similar spoofed email -
Envelope-to: xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 08:48:07 +0100
Received: from exprod5mx238.postini.com ([64.18.0.124] helo=psmtp.com)
  by pih-sunmxcore17.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1JiPbi-0002L9-IS
  for xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com; Sun, 06 Apr 2008 08:48:06 +0100
Received: from source ([89.228.86.215]) by exprod5mx238.postini.com ([64.18.4.10]) with SMTP;
Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:47:56 PDT
X-Originating-IP: [89.228.86.215]
X-Originating-Email: [xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com]
X-Sender: xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Received: (qmail 3798 by uid 415); Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:48:02 +0100
Message-Id: <20080406104802.3800.qmail@domowy>
To: <xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com>
X-pstn-levels:    (S: 0.00000/91.37315 CV:99.9000 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) cv gt3 gt2 gt1
X-pstn-addresses: from <xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com> forward (org good) [10/1]
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
Subject: RE: Gucci 1012601
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.5.519 [269.22.6/1360]
Mime-Version: 1.0

So the problem still seems to exist.
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Bob Ive been having perceived trouble with trying to whitelist today, I added to the box, updated and it came back with a red box at the top saying something about a problem please try later

I had the same problem the first time I entered addresses in the Approved box - I got the same "try later" red box and also the Blocked and Approved boxes now had the word "empty" in them. Fortunately (!) I had kept a copy of the (long) list of addresses and pasted it into the Approved box after deleting "empty". I clicked Update and it seemed to work OK. But then I realised there was now no tick in the "Apply these settings to all my domains" box. So I ticked it and clicked Update - and once again got the red box and no addresses. I pasted in the addresses again and ticked the "all domains", then clicked Update. Now I get the red box warning but all the addresses are there and start with a hyphen!
I'd recommend everyone to leave it alone until it's working properly - I can't trust it now even it said it had worked!  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just got an e-mail from one of my trusted, it had been through postini

Went back to manage my e-mail, and the only ones listed are the last four I put on, what a load of sdflkbsdfhiojwsdf Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just tried to add another same again

list should be
news@zonealarm.zonelabs.com
-flyingflowers@flyingflowers.co.uk
-newsletter@pocketgpsworld.com
-bounce@elastic.be
-enewsletter@mouse2house.co.uk
-nationaltrust@nationaltrust.emv2.net
-qmail@pocketgpsworld.com
-weightwatchers@info.weightwatchers.co.uk
-website@docrafts.co.uk
-emiclassics@email-innocent.the-raft.com
-customerservices@damart.com
-info@papertole.co.uk
info@graphicus.co.uk
news@europe.real.com
storesupport@navman-europe.com
offers@dabs.com
news@real-email.net
the last one is the one I tried to enter
see second picture what I now appear to have
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@waldron
Actually, your problem seems to have subtly changed. It is the Plusnet whitelist, rather than your wrongly configured user whitelist that let through your latest example:
[X-pstn-addresses: from <xxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com> forward (org good) [10/1] 

Note the (org good) rather than (user good) in the header....  I think this suggests that the spam filter thought it had come from Plusnet's servers, not just a spoofed Plusnet address?
Possibly a new problem to be dealt with next week?
Edit: Sorry!! I've just noticed your earlier example also had (org good)....  This is the same problem as was supposed to be solved by updating the options in Manage My Mail....  Lots of people still having trouble with this....
Bookman
Grafter

pierre's findings are still the same as mine.
Can someone at PlusNet tell us whether or not the email addresses should appear in the list with leading dashes? When I enter them and click Update I get leading hyphens (as in pierre's example above) as well as warning messages.
ddunford
Grafter

@Bookman
@pierre_pierre
Guys, im not sure what your doing but you have to enter the addresses without the dashes.. ive just tried this on both of your accounts and this updated without any problems. Can you please retry and let me know of any other issues?
Thanks,
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@DD
I entered all mine without dashes.
should we get a display of what the current settings are so that we dont duplicate them?
lucky for me I have got mine as a text list
I now get a view list of some without the hyphen?
Life is one of continuous change Crazy
When you have answered my query I am happy to have another try Wink
ddunford
Grafter

pierre_pierre,
Im slightly, no infact very confused actually by this....  Shocked
I've checked the code over and over, you say it only happened when you got the big red message which states your details coudn't be updated (which only happens if we cant talk to postini's API or something else bad happened)... if that does happen, then nothing should be updated and the settings revert back to what you have previously had saved.
The interesting thing, is the '-empty -emailaddress' etc is the format Postini expects to see those in, and as i said above, ive checked through the code and cannot see anywhere where this would feed back into the display?!
I'll carry on looking, i'd be interested as to why it failed to update in the first place though Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have just tried yet again
The first grab is the box as found
the next two the added items note apply to all domains was ticked
the fourth, the error message
the resulting box

why is it apparently only two of us?