Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soulseek speeds?

fathouseflies
Dabbler

Soulseek speeds?

Hi
I decided to start up Soulseek for the first time in over a year,and have found it unusable (ie: dialup speeds). My router is setup perfectly,the necessary ports are open and Soulseek is telling me everything is fine.I am within my usage limits (Premier option 1) and have been running it off peak all day.
So does anyone else use Soulseek? And do you find it usable? And most importantly is this simply down to traffic shaping?
Thanks  Sad
4 REPLIES 4
fathouseflies
Dabbler

Re: Soulseek speeds?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm aware that p2p is low priority on the network but BT and gnutella have been pretty good recently at any time of the day. So it just seems to me that soulseek is getting worse treatment.
The bizarre thing is as soon as 4pm arrived (Peak time) the speeds have increased to 10-15 KBps downstream when before I was struggling to get over 3kB.
Anyway I'd still be interested to hear from other soulseek users and what speeds they are getting. Smiley
fathouseflies
Dabbler

Quote from: PJ
At 1600hrs lots of P2P users stop downloading to protect their allowances- it is therefore not unusual for P2P users to report an increase in speeds at this time as the bandwidth available to P2P is being shared between a smaller user base.

Good point!
So is each p2p client shaped on an individual basis or are they all lumped together and treated the same? The reason I ask is that other p2p clients seem to perform better, and I do understand the single source nature of Soulseek.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All p2p traffic is banded together (ie emule, bittorrent etc) and a certain amount of network bandwidth is allocated according to the time of day. The main factors affecting this are therefore how many others are using p2p, and also how busy the other protocols are (as the higher priority services will further squash the lower ones as they get busier).
Hope that helps,
fathouseflies
Dabbler

Thanks for that.
I rarely run more than one client at a time just for that reason.
Just for the record.
Even when plusnet were providing me a much poorer service I stayed cos the forums are so useful!