cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry for being a noob but........

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Sorry for being a noob but........

What should I be expecting from these stats? Do you see anything wrong with them? I see a lot of errors, is that normal? Hopefully some clever people can help me!!!
Link Information

Uptime: 2 days, 2:40:20
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,816
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 7.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 12.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 26 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 1,391
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 722
I used to get around 7meg stable with sky but they started throttling me at peak times,making gaming impossible sometimes, so I switched to the Pro package with PN. I have not yet been able to get back up to the same speeds as before, although pings are a bit steadier and lower in games  Smiley  ( not low enough though,lol, they can never be low enough!!)  Where do I find out if Im on interleave or fastpath?  The exchange is pretty nearby so I would hope for a great connection.
Also with my old sky router I could limit the bandwidth to each IP on the network. I cant find out how to do this with the thomson tg585 v7. Now whenever my wife uploads photos to facebook I get chucked out my games for having too high a ping!!! I need to limit her a bit. Any ideas?Huh
Thanks.
P.S Nearly forgot. I messed up my registration and did a typo with my username. Who do I contact to get it fixed?Huh
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Sorry for being a noob but........

Your sync speed (6,816) looks low for your attenuation and noise margin. The number of errors doesn't seem unduly high to me given it's over two days.
Are you plugged in to the master socket? Are you using any sort of phone extension lead for the router?
As you were previously on Sky I presume you have a Sky box, if you have that plugged in to the phone is it filtered? Have you got filters on all equipment on all extensions?
I'd like to see what the link information looks like with the router plugged in to the test socket and no phones or other equipment connected.

What does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say for your Current Line Speed?
If you can change the login details on the Sky router you might be able to use it on Plusnet - I don't know if Sky routers are locked.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Morrning and welcome to the Forums.  
Do you know if you were on LLU with Sky?
and do you have one of these on the end of the Sky telephone line as it is not a  filter
Which user name, your forum one looks OK, but you can change it by going to your profile.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Hi,
No I'm not plugged into the master socket. I managed to get decent speeds on sky whilst with this current set up though. I have tried using the test socket for a couple of days once before and there was little,if no difference, so even though I am on an extension I think it must be solid enough.
I am using the Thomson router supplied by PN, but I am currently trying to get the black netgear sky router flashed as I need to be able to limit my wife's bandwidth hoggery!!
Filters are on all sockets, if I change them with other ones I have spare there  is no difference so I am assuming my filters are ok. I will try the test socket again when I get a chance and post the new info,but it might be a while.
I dont think I was on LLU with sky.
The line speed check  link you supplied came back like this:

Telephone number:
    01259*******
Phone exchange:
    ALLOA
Estimated line speed:
    6 - Checked on 2009-09-07 18:35:38
Current line speed:

Its my login name I would like changed, I messed up when I registered,oops!!
Thanks again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

re the login name - it it is the Plusnet account name - that can't be changed.
If it is the forum name just go to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=476;sa=account and change the display name
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's his PN username Jim. Couple of letters swapped round but I don't think that can be changed.
Correct me if I'm wrong Plusnet but I imagine there would be a flood of requests.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

Re:Sorry for being a noob but........

Hi there,
Unfortunately we can't easily change your username once you've signed up and been activated.
Regarding the speed, broadband with us (and most other ISPs) is a bit different to how it is with Sky, namely the introduction of dynamic line management.  It's seen a bit of noise on your line and has slowed down your speed a bit to ensure that it reains stabl.
I'd like to see if there is any improvement connecting to the test socket for a few days.  There likely to be some interference on the extension socket, causing the slower speeds which will take a period of time to adjust.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Ok, I will try the test socket again when I can, but like I said, it might not be too soon. As soon as I get it setup I will let you know and then we can watch things for a few days.
Regarding the name thing, I currently have 3 names, is that right? The one I use for connecting to PN( thats the one the router uses). I also have already changed my forum name myself. The third one which I cant see how to change is the one I setup when I registered for these forums. So its the forum login name I would like changed. No biggy really, just a pain as I have to remember the incorrect spelling now because of my mistake Smiley
James
Grafter

Re:Sorry for being a noob but........

Yep - You use the one that looks like username@plusdsl.net on your router.
Just username on it's own will log you into our website & you can change your display name within the profile area of this forum.