cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

Hi Alex,
Your ticket hasn't been closed, it looks like it was an automated message from our suppliers that prompted this. We are currently monitoring your connection and we just need to wait and see what the outcome is.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No good monitoring, it needs fixing. The agents that dealt with this were clearly just reading from their scripts and haven't got a clue of technical understanding. They've taken him off the ADSL1 setting that was giving him a stable line that Spencer Davies put him on, on ADSL2+ on his long line it's more unstable. They clearly haven't read his account history and Spencer's notes and have now upped his Target SNRM to 9db and that has put his current sync speed is below the FTR.
Get a competent and senior Faults analyst on this, get him back on ADSL1 with a Target SNRM of 6dB and get a REIN eng on the job to track down this interference. If anyone competent read all the relevant information they could see why.
Not good enough Plusnet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Alex,
That's been picked up by Spencer and your ticket has been updated in detail. We now need to wait for the modify order to complete which will be on Monday.
Chris
alex7127
Grafter

OK thanks for this Chris.
alex7127
Grafter

Attached is a capture of my stats for DL & UL Speed, Ping, Packet loss and Jitter. This covers the period  of 22/8 to today 27/09.
At the start of the capture you will see a period of time when my line/service was rock solid. This was for a 13 day period between 23/08 qnd 05/09. I was maintained a permanent sync at 1.984Mbps during this time... giving a DL profile of 1.75Mbps.........look at how my service has gone since 05/09.
Any conclusions to be drawn, thoughts, speculation?.....Chris?
KR's
Alex
alex7127
Grafter

An even wider snapshot .....covering 10th May to Today 27th October. The eagle eyed of you may be able to spot at what point my exchange went 21cn?
alex7127
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Speculation eh, that's a good one Wink  Yes the change to 21CN is obvious. Well as your line had achieved an MSR of 1728kbps then I think its fairly obvious. You should reasonably expect that as the minimum performance most of the time. The period 22/8 to 27/9 shows how stable it was upto the 5/9 and then a lot of variability due to what we believe to be the RFI/REIN that had plagued you before. Having said that, the only things that weren't tried on 20CN were the L&S and a TPM. I wouldn't have thought that the L&S was relevant anymore having moved to 21CN, but the TPM may still be. It really depends on what changes were made at the exchange went you went to 21CN.  Spencer may be able to find that out.
Bearing in mind the modify order that Spencer has placed, it's probably a bit of a wait and see for a few days to see what it's achieving and how it's behaving.
If things don't improve and you still see changes in SNRM and periodic drops, the next step? - personally I would hope that a L&S would be done, it's fairly quick to expedite. If the problems are then still ongoing, then it has to be a REIN engineer.
alex7127
Grafter

Attached is a screen shot of my current (running) RSL graph......my SNRM is soooooooo low (for me) I have never seen it so low....4.2, 4.3, 4.4. I am awaiting a 'spike'.....then it will resync.....
alex7127
Grafter

All these forced resyncs would be 'OK' (but not truely acceptable)  over the 21cn network.......if the PN Profile updated itself......instead of having to ask every 5 minutes for it to be manually adjusted up. Is this a problem unique to PN or is it the same with other ISP's....where the inhouse profile does NOT catch up with the BT one?
Anotherone
Champion

As you say a 'spike' could kill it, but otherwise bearing in mind the resync you said you had yesterday, there is obviously some noise present at the moment lowering the SNRM a bit, for example something switched on at about 0910 which has lowered the average SNRM. (This particular event is of no real significance).
Actually the average would be quite useful - on the Setup >Graphs tab, in the Noise Margin box, tick the box "Plot average value of previous" 50 points.
Whatever is causing the drop to 5dB would be of more interest.
Do you see many "spikes" these days?
As regards the profile update, the cause is the absence of a timely Delta Report which should automatically get produced by BT's systems and isn't in a number of cases. All ISP's get Delta Report's of their customers' lines. The reports seem to get produced eventually. Yes it's b irritating when you are affected! PN have been chasing this with BT.
alex7127
Grafter

Sorry cant do the average graph....just had to shut down pc and re-boot.
Anyway the RSL graph for the drop to 5db is attatched.
Spikes......well the way it goes usually is as shown in the group of 4 RSL graphs as earlier in the thread. Scenario:  service is quite happy happy at flatish 6db (High sync rate) then a sudden bleed out and resync......after which SNRM will return to  6db (low sync rate) but with obvious noise +/- 0.1 to 0.2 ish spiking (nothing major).....then SNRM will shoot straight up to 10 or 11.....at this point I disconnect from PN and reboot router......SNRM returns to 6 with as high or higher sync rate that I started with! I hope I explain this clearly! Shocked
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: alex7127
Doh!

You can modify your post to add an attachment.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, I'd forgotten those recent graphs. There is definitely something switching on and off. When it goes off there is a clear 4dB improvement in SNRM as seen on graphs 2 & 4. There's a 4dB drop when it switches on, shown on graph 4. Then there is the downward drops. I've referred to them as drops rather than spikes as they all go to 0dB and it's difficult to deduce whether this is because of a loss of sync or whether it's a large burst of noise (chicken and egg). These two type of events may or may not be related.
The drop to 5dB (not huge) at ~0635, the sort of time heating might come on somewhere. Is there a regular pattern to this 1dB drop at similar times on particular days of the week at all?
What sort of level is the SNRM at now?
alex7127
Grafter

Anotherone, I think you have made some extremely valid points....I just hope that these are taken on board in the overall picture..........
1.  I feel that the 'drops' to 0db are a loss of sync and not a large burst of noise....but hey who am I?
2.  No there is no regular pattern to any 1db drops. I have been this afternoon trawling through my RSL data and cross referring it to when the bolier kicks in and off for both the hot water and central heating........I have found 
    NO instances where the SNRM has dropped when the bolier has come on AT ALL. I suppose this is good news as we can rule this out?.....unless it is causing intermittant noise???  I am not ruling anything out in my house
    as to be the possible cause of noise........but since April this year I have been investigating all and any possible cause. I have yet to find anything that I can test by switching on and off to make any movement on the SNRM
    live plotting on RSL
3.  SNRM has been between 4 and 5.5 db all day. No resyncs today.....but as I have already said this is not uncommon at the weeked. MOST drops of sync (I shall call them) happen Monday to Friday.....read into this what you
    will.
4.  Hmmmm maybe yes...I think there may be two types of events going on here. That is loss of sync  and noise.
The saga continues......
Kind Regards
Alex Crazy