cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Sorry.....But I am sick to death with the problems on my line.

I think RR's question assumed you already knew the answer and would have added an "innocent" smiley if there was one.
Yes, I think you've probably found a prime suspect for your problems - radio ham transmissions in close proximity to phone lines carrying broadband do not make good bedfellows. In my opinion the PDF linked by RR describes the problem well and more importantly even provides a solution. Do you know if your radio ham neighbour has broadband and suffers similar problems? Do other neighbours also have the problem?
David
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Alex,
This is a "prime suspect" as spraxyt has intimated. However, before you get carried away with the idea, don't eliminate other possibilities that may come to light.
Ok, consider the following - How long has this particular neighbour lived there? Has he been a Radio Amateur all the time he's been there? Is he a Licenced Radio Amateur or a CB user? Have any more aerials appeared since your problems "appeared to start"? Does he have an Aerial rotator? Is he always in when your problems occur? Have your problems occurred when he's not been in? Next time your problems occur is the aerial rotator in use/moving or has it moved since the last problem?
I think when you have answered those for yourself that will give you a better feel for how likely this possibility is. Use your transistor radio to get a feel for this as well.
Now, if it's still a strong probability. you will need to be very careful how you go fishing for information when you do, as the last thing you want is a change in habits that may make it more difficult to prove, should that become necessary.
There are good reasons for me saying all this. If he's a CB operator, you may get a denial & zero co-operation which is why you mustn't ask or accuse outright, you'd then have to pursue other courses of action which won't make for good neighbour relations.
If he's a licenced Amateur, he will be well aware of the potential for Interference, and also aware of how difficult it could be to cure, which is why he could also deny it's him.
On the plus side, a licenced Amateur is obliged under the terms of the licence, to solve any interference problems they may be causing, including the supply of suitable filters. However if it's not him, he could turn out to be a very good ally in helping you track down the source of the problem.
Here's the rub, the pattern you have been seeing isn't consistent with normal Speech or CW (Morse) transmissions, as you would expect to see shorter dip durations, but many of them in a sequence - just imagine a typical two way conversation. It could however be a data transmission which could have a lengthy duration. (Which is why, a while back we talked about the VN issue as it would be consistent - this isn't the same near neighbour by any chance?)
But the other odd thing, is that I would have expected to have seen other incidents of dips in your SNRM on a more frequent basis along the lines I've just described. However, the pattern could be consistent with just some equipment that has an iffy switch mode power supply being turned on - that can unfortunately be a multitude of possibilities.
alex7127
Grafter

Right, where to start........
First of all I still have an open mind over what  is causing my problems, but as a suspect comes to light, I shall investigate it.
I shall refer to the chap with the radio stuff as Radio Man......I am not being derogatory
The chap round the corner is into amateur radio and CB radio ( He has CB radio in his car I think as he has massive aerials on magnetic bases on his car) . He has lived here since before we moved here (we have lived here for 6+ years). He may have very well changed his aerial set up during this time, but this is unkown to me. Line of site as the crow flies......his masts are approxinmately 25m away from my house. The last witnessed event was yesterday. As I described in my post of yesterday I went mobile with my tranny outside to 'sweep' the area.  
The pumping station is next door but one to the Radio man. I walked past his house and went up to the doors of the pumping station.....The event was no longer audiable AT ALL. I then walked back down the road and as I drew level with Radio Ham mans house...the event once again became audiable. I walked back and forth several times......each time I reached the side of his house that his masts are on....the event became audiable. There is direct uninterupted  line of site between this side of his house and the rear of my house. I do hope I am explaining this well!......Note.....the event is best heard and clearest and loudest if I go upstairs inmy house......Is it maybe that I am getting 'level' with the height the masts are at?
OK so I continue sweeping the area. The event is heard from the side of his house (lets call it south for arguments sake)  which radio mans masts are on..... for lets say up to 30m further south. If I went North of the masts the event was not audiable.
Before I forget  two notes...the mast that all the aerials are on is motorised  /  Radio man works shifts  /  
Now.....as I was walking around with my tranny...radio man comes home and I was forced to chat. I loosely explaind things and he said.....it wouldn't be my equipment! No maybe or whatever just....its not me!
I used to know the occupants of the house directly opposite Radio Mans house. Their BB was even worse than mine with speeds circa 200-300Kbps, with very frequent disconnections. They gave up in the end and went to Village Networks. Also the people that live next door to Radio Man said that his equipment interfered with their old tv.
OK.....yesterdays event was circa early afternoon. Since then I have not had an event..........maybe just coincidence or has somthing been turned down/off I dunno?
I probably have other intel in my head....but at the moment it won't come out.....perhaps I will take questions!
KR's
Alex Crazy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You have twice visited the pumping station with your radio and heard nothing but was it actually pumping?  You should be able to hear the pump running and knowing that it was not running during an event or running when there is no event would be a near as you can get to absolute proof that it is not responsible.
On the other hand, if Radio Man was out when your latest event started then only some automated process at his house could be responsible - unless he is living with another CB radio freak.  But if you read the link I posted you cannot doubt that he must be your prime suspect.
alex7127
Grafter

RR - OK then...if you are sure I would hear the pump running.....then on both occasions I would have to say it was not actually running/pumping
Radio Man mentioned something about 'permanently broadcasting'.....messages to deep space.....who knows?
Alex Crazy
Anotherone
Champion

Whether or not the pumps were audible may be a red herring - are they definitely audible when they are running? The key point is that (so far) the interference did not increase whilst in the vicinity, and was continuing before you got there and after you left. The only other thing I would add is that next time make sure you double check from as many sides of the pumping station as you can access, not forgetting to rotate your radio to confirm a direction if possible. Building structures can sometimes screen some signals.
As far as Radio Man is concerned, he is obviously a prime suspect not the prime suspect. One other point, mag mounts on his car don't automatically mean CB Radio, they could equally be for use on the Amateur bands - the VHF one being one of the most common.
Be careful about interpretation of signals when inside a building, the structure of a building and any wiring of any type within it can affect the way, and what, you receive. Checking near a window may help, but metal reinforcement in some window frames can sometimes give misleading clues. You should always try and get confirmation of anything from outside a building if possible.
What happened about your next door neighbour's TV interference at that time? Did they talk to Radio Man?
Have they got broadband?
Has Radio Man got VN?
alex7127
Grafter

I have never heard anything from the pumps....have walked past them 100's of times during the last 6+ years....maybe they are super silent. Yes I did walk around the pump and yes as I always do when out with the trany....did rotate my radio.
Ahhhh OK on the 'whippy' aerials.......know even less about this than BB!
OK....but all I can say is that for whatever reason the event noise is loudest and clearest upstairs in my house.
The last 3 questions: 
Don't know....and dont have anything to do with them anymore (long story)
Yes
Don't know
Alex Crazy
alex7127
Grafter

Could Radio Man be doing something which he would knows could cause interference o the local phone lines and ultimately routers and BB service local to him?
I was thinking....shall I contact Stephen Wilson. His email address is on the paper he wrote and is open to e-mails. I may be able to purchase one of his home made filters from him to try?
Alex Crazy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

But the thing is that your events are not "permanent" and at least one started when your neighbour was out.  That must greatly limit the scope of activities that could be causing your problem.
Unless modern pumps are much quieter than the older ones, you would hear when one is running. 
Anotherone
Champion

What has permanent got to do with it? It doesn't really make any difference to the fact the source has to be located, just more difficult, possible automation means you don't rule any thing out.
Alex, Yes to the first question, he should. No to the second question for two reasons. Such filters are fitted at your installation, But IF it is his transmissions causing the problem, the onus is on HIM to do something about it. As I said initially, but now especially as a result of your inadvertent meeting, you need to approach this VERY subtly until you are certain of the facts. If he isn't co-operative, there are a number of approaches that can be taken.
alex7127
Grafter

I can't remember if I have mentioned this already....Radio Man did mention in our brief chat that he is 'trasmitting'  permanently if he is in or out........To a far away Galaxy?
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: alex7127
I post questions on the ticket and they are quite simply ignored.

Same here Alex. Sad
What sort of questions are you asking?
Maybe if a few of us ask on here, we will get answers?
I appreciate there are many factors involved and sometimes answers aren't always black and white, but it's Plusnet's business and they should really know the answers or at least pass the questions on to someone who does!

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi there,
If you have any general questions, please feel free to post them on these Forums and I'll answer them if I can Smiley
cbcadmin
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
New topic for each one or just tag on the end here?
dick:quote

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
cbcadmin
Grafter

[quote author=[Dick (Strat): link=topic=108683.msg935597#msg935597 date=1353166154]
Full quote of preceding post removed,

Wasn't full text, I removed the 1st line!
Pity Plusnet aren't as on the ball with their repeats to questions when answers have been supplied.  Roll_eyes