cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sooo slo

ashnewbie
Dabbler

Re: Sooo slo

Thanks I will have to wait and see, but maybe I should have gone for cable, as it is already wired up just never activated, I chose plus.net because of inclusive day time calls and no other provider seems to offer such a low cost package, I just need to be able to upload otherwise I will have no choice but to change my ISP.
7 days is a long time to upload a file...
Apologies for posting related issues here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96557.0/topicseen.html
dick:quote
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Sorry , but look at your ping..why is it 1166, and why you using the usa continent  (as pictured in the rear of your test results)
Or am I seeing this wrong?
Yes wrong, but on one other post, your man (in test picture) was far from your postcode, the first few letters of your postcode said it is at Arsenal footy grounds?Huh
Still probanly wrong again  Crazy
ashnewbie
Dabbler

This is what my BT test says:

FAQ
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5585 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5585 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps
UPLOAD speeds are not tested via http://speedtester.bt.com/, so resorting to speedtest.net seems reasonable
dick:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ashnewbie
Thanks I will have to wait and see, but maybe I should have gone for cable, as it is already wired up just never activated,

Virgin is only offering 'up to' 1Mbps upload with their 10Mbps products, which they have only recently started to roll out, so may not be available to you yet. I do think as more and more people start to upload that companies will start to look more at their upstream speeds, but at the moment it seems that most only concentrate on download speed. Indeed, from the virgin website it isn't easy to find out information about upload as it's not something they seem to see as a feature, nor do many other providers.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should be able to upload a 100MB file at present - it will take around 40 minutes I think. Are you giving up too soon?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Even when upgraded to ADSL2+ your upload speed is not going to allow 100MB files to be uploaded in much less than 20 minutes. You either need fibre (FTTP or FTTC if available on your exchange) or if upload is really important to you you could go for SDSL where upload and download speeds are the same. You'd need to check out if it is available on your exchange, the maximum speed is 2MB up and down. It is however a little bit more expensive...
https://portal.plus.net/business/sdsl/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Quote from: ashnewbie

7 days is a long time to upload a file...
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

I have had to resort to manually uploading everything in the .zip folder, I am sure my grumbles stem from my lack of understanding of what broadband can and cannot do, but all said and done plus.net has always explained things well and offered ways to resolve the problems.