cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sooo slo

ashnewbie
Dabbler

Sooo slo

Super slow broadband, make my older Mobile Phone  'broadband' look like light speed.
21 REPLIES 21
Epyon
Grafter

Re: Sooo slo

Wow thats really fast
wish i was you.
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Quote from: Epyon
Wow thats really fast
wish i was you.

Ha Ha
I am a new 'customer' of plus.net with advertised speeds  upto 20mb divide that number by 25 and that might be more accurate, I can get 30GB on mobile broadband at this price and much, much faster connection, that can be almost anywhere in the UK. on the train, bus, in a tent, in the car, up a mountain etc.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have you actually reported a speed fault?
Since you are posting to this forum, have you read this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ashnewbie,
Click here and choose the option which applies to you for troubleshooting this.
Jojo Smiley
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Quote from: Joanne
Hi ashnewbie,
Click here and choose the option which applies to you for troubleshooting this.
Jojo Smiley

I am a new 'customer' using a brand new Thompson router, accessing the internet via Wifi and therefore any technical problem is not caused by me, it is so slow I am being forced to use Mobile Broadband. The speed now is 79.5KB sec IE: Very slow............
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Using downloads from websites is not an ideal way of seeing your speed. Remember we use traffic management on download sites and servers that *will* be restricting the speeds you see from these type of sites. http://www/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
What speedtest results are you seeing? Have you followed the advice given by Jojo in her post above?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Using downloads from websites is not an ideal way of seeing your speed. Remember we use traffic management on download sites and servers that *will* be restricting the speeds you see from these type of sites. http://www/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
What speedtest results are you seeing? Have you followed the advice given by Jojo in her post above?

I have used the bt speedtester and still get 40 times less than the upto speed of 20MB advertised.
When I do speed test three I get an error message that states:
"You appear to be logged in as davidc*****y@plusdsl.net. In order to run the next test you must login as speedtest@speedtest_domain."
I have edited the exact email address /username shown above, but this is not mine and I have set the connection to speedtest@speedtest_domain.
Maybe I am doing something wrong, or the fact that the phone number originally assigned to me was changed and the router assigned to me (serial number) is not the one plus.net keeps saying I have....and the BT engineer visited one day ahead of the planned appointment for a new line.
Super slo
I have done a Post Code speed check on m Post Code, at it suggests my minimum speed would be 4MB to 8MB and not the 0.5MB it has been over the last two days, screenshot attached
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ashnewbie,
I'm not sure what's going on with the router. I'll send another one out for you.
Jojo Smiley
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Hi ashnewbie,
I'm not sure what's going on with the router. I'll send another one out for you.
Jojo Smiley

This sorted out, my download speed is presented on speedtest.net as 5.76MB, but when I actually download a file ten times less is more accurate. Now download is one thing, but my upload speed is 0.33mb or thereabouts, which means it is unusable for uploads. I understand I have to wait 10 days for things to get better. Going to an internet cafe to upload a file is a strange experience, but hey needs must.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ashnewbie
my download speed is presented on speedtest.net as 5.76MB, but when I actually download a file ten times less is more accurate.

Quote from: Chris
Using downloads from websites is not an ideal way of seeing your speed. Remember we use traffic management on download sites and servers that *will* be restricting the speeds you see from these type of sites.

Quote from: ashnewbie
my upload speed is 0.33mb or thereabouts, which means it is unusable for uploads.

an average upload speed on 20CN is about .38Mbps so it's not far off the mark.
Jojo Smiley
ashnewbie
Dabbler

an average upload speed on 20CN is about .38Mbps so it's not far off the mark.
Jojo Smiley

The UPLOAD speed is accurrate but this means it is useless when trying to upload a file of 100MB to change a WordPress theme ro one that cost me $40. I consider UPLOAD speeds should be advertised, as surely many people must want to upload file of 100MB or more, many photos/graphics/documents.videos are much more than 100MB. Many 'cloud' services would be useless if files of 100MB cannot be uploaded. Regardless of what speeds are reported, it it is impossible to upload a 100mb file then I don't understand what I have paid for, I am sure I am not alone is being a person who creates data (uploads) and does not just consume it (downloads).
So if I want to be able to upload small 100MB file how much do I have to pay?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI ashnewbie,
One option would be to move you on to ADSL2+ where we could uncap the upload and you'd get about 800-900Kbps The reason you weren't provisioned on that originally is that the BT estimate for your line is less than 4Mbps, although looking at your current speed, your line seems to be out-performing that. That said, ADSL2+ is more sensitive and may need a little patience to get it running at the optimum for a line as long as yours. Let me know if you'd like to go for it.
Jojo Smiley
ashnewbie
Dabbler

Well if it will allow me to have more reasonable upload speeds then please change me to  ADSL2+ with upload uncapped. 4MB sound very slow indeed, I might be tempted to move to fiber at some point, do you know how much a fiber service would cost and what my estimated line speed would be.?
dick:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ashnewbie,
I'll place the order for you, which will take 7 days to complete, and I will email you confirmation. As for fibre there's no planned date as yet for fibre at your exchange.
Jojo Smiley