Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something wrong

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Something wrong

Well the stats and speedtest show that your connection is working as would be expected with the current stats BUT the stats show that you have had a large number of drops (39) since you last powered up (gracefully disconnected or otherwise), the last of which was around 1555 if your uptime and post time are anything to go by. The current sync speed and SNRM show that at least the connection isn't currently banded and the Target SNRM doesn't seem to have been raised at this time. As you are already aware DLM has already turned on Interleaving.
I suggest you go about diagnosing you noise issue making sure you gracefully disconnect before poking around. I also suggest that at any time you goto switch on your modem/router and connect, that you check the line is free of noise beforehand which will at least hopefully give you a reasonable connection speed until it drops.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

<i>Reading through the thread to try and see what potential issues have either been addressed or eliminated, reply #35 is fairly typical of responses in this thread, I ask for some information and my question in the previous post is completely ignored and that post a couple of weeks later just goes on about how your connection has dropped. reply #44 is another where you didn't make one single response to any of the points mentioned in my previous post and you come up with some pie in the sky idea that your wifi is affected by some exchange issue!</i>
So you didn't see my post #46? Or your own reply #47?
<i>Those remarks and your total lack of response to some of my posts shows that you do not understand the complexities that can be involved.</i>
There, there! Don't you worry your pretty little head about that. Smiley
<i>Your most recent problems appear to have got worse around the same time you bought a new TV, so there has to be a suspicion that there maybe an issue with it causing interference.</i>
WHAT?!!!
Baby, I've had enough. I just want out of this [Censored]. [You do the math. Smiley ]
What happened? Plusnet used to have a good reputation. Now its "Lets's insult the customers - that'll work well!"
I'll just sort something out myself in my own time and migrate when I can.
FINIS.
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: pvmb
What happened? Plusnet used to have a good reputation. Now its "Lets's insult the customers - that'll work well!"

You do realise that Anotherone is just a customer like you and me?
However unlike you and me he is a customer who knows a great deal and can actually help you here.
Even me, who knows only a fraction of what Anotherone does, can see from your responses that you don't quite have a handle on the intricacies of ADSL BB problems and have a number of wrong ideas.
I'll just sort something out myself in my own time and migrate when I can.
FINIS.

Ok as long as you're happy that the problems will probably still be there with another provider.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For the record, in reply #45, I asked you to copy and paste the event logs. All you did was give your interpretation of their content in reply #46.
I was starting to clutch at straws in reply #47 because you hadn't posted what was asked, then or previously as already mentioned.
<i>Your most recent problems appear to have got worse around the same time you bought a new TV, so there has to be a suspicion that there maybe an issue with it causing interference.</i>
WHAT?!!!

It seems, in my confusion because of the following -
Quote from: cedlor
Not really if there is external line noise from a skybox/TV/ railway /electric fence/ intruder alarm/ street lights
(list is endless) it will be picked up whether the router is switched on or not.

Really? You mean like my TV receives BBC programmes when it is switched off? Also - if it makes "no diference" then switching it off doesn't actually matter, does it?

I've got you mixed up with someone else that bought a new TV and their problems started around that time. This wasn't helped by my recollection of your comment about high ES errors in the middle of the day - potentially indicative of some source of interference.
So for that confusion,. I apologise Embarrassed
However, the rest still stands as
<i>Those remarks and your total lack of response to some of my posts shows that you do not understand the complexities that can be involved.</i>
There, there! Don't you worry your pretty little head about that. Smiley

Comments like that totally justify my opinion. I've given you good advice and where to find it, and as jem16 has remarked, if your line problems remain, they won't magically disappear if you go somewhere else.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

For someone looking for help, getting on the wrong side of AO was a bad move.  When it comes to investigating intermittent problems such as yours he is one of the most knowledgable people around here.  Being a customer, he has more time to spend on the difficult issues than can PlusNET staff.
If as you say, you have an intermittent line / noise problem that should be sorted first. Line issues are generally sensitive to the weather, when it is wet (especially very wet) they come; when it dries up they go away.
An inbound phone call can 'fix' a marginal line fault for days - the higher power of the ring signal can 'clean up' iffy joints..  AO has given good advice and sought answers to specific questions to help profile the problem.  If you really want help, then please answer those reasonable questions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I've got you mixed up with someone else that bought a new TV and their problems started around that time. This wasn't helped by my recollection of your comment about high ES errors in the middle of the day - potentially indicative of some source of interference.
So for that confusion,. I apologise

Well thank you for that. Apology accepted.
However..
Those remarks and your total lack of response to some of my posts shows that you do not understand the complexities that can be involved.
There, there! Don't you worry your pretty little head about that.

Comments like that totally justify my opinion. I've given you good advice and where to find it, and as jem16 has remarked, if your line problems remain, they won't magically disappear if you go somewhere else.

The existing problem I had on my line with TalkTalk did when I left TalkTalk for Plusnet.
And hopefully they may be more sympathetically and constructively dealt with elsewhere.

P.S.
The link is disappearing again during this reply. (On a WIRED computer. On a different computer.)
"The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
No subject was filled in.
The message body was left empty."
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That is a completely different issue to do with the forum software.  It happens now and then.
As for the previous problem disappearing when you left Talktalk and came over to PlusNET, well that depends on what the problem was.  Talktalk and PlusNET use different equipment in the exchange.  This looks most certainly like a line or in home line problem and will remain no matter which ISP you use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jem16
Grafter

The existing problem I had on my line with TalkTalk did when I left TalkTalk for Plusnet.

I thought you had decided your problems were intermittent?
However apart from that TalkTalk use LLU equipment, PlusNet does not. So perhaps whatever was wrong with your TalkTalk equipment was down to its own LLU equipment as opposed to the actual line supplied to all ADSL suppliers by Openreach. As there seems to be a noisy line involved that will affect all suppliers apart from Virgin Cable.
And hopefully they may be more sympathetically and constructively dealt with elsewhere.

If it's back to TalkTalk there's no chance of that given their dire reputation for Customer Service.
Still the choice is yours.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Excuse my bluntness (born of frustration) but everyone on here seems to have a truly amazing capacity to miss the point:

I thought you had decided your problems were intermittent?

The problem I had when I was with TalkTalk was the problem I had when I was with TalkTalk. The problem I have NOW is the problem I have NOW, when I am with Plusnet. They are entirely different problems. The one thing they are proving to have in common is that they are intractable. I solved the TalkTalk problem by leaving TalkTalk for Plusnet. Perhaps there is a hint there of how I can solve the problem I have now I am with Plusnet?
However apart from that TalkTalk use LLU equipment, PlusNet does not.

Unbelievably - I know this.
So perhaps whatever was wrong with your TalkTalk equipment was down to its own LLU equipment as opposed to the actual line supplied to all ADSL suppliers by Openreach.

It was. IMHO.
As there seems to be a noisy line involved that will affect all suppliers apart from Virgin Cable.

Depends where the noise is originating.

If it's back to TalkTalk there's no chance of that given their dire reputation for Customer Service.

I get the impression Plusnet is working hard to close that gap. Sad
Still the choice is yours.

Indeed.

Red light on modem again. Sad
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is there noise on the line?  Please plug in the phone and dial 17070 option 2.
If there is noise please raise a phone line fault report using the link below.

jem16
Grafter

Ignore this - forum playing silly tricks.
jem16
Grafter

Excuse my bluntness (born of frustration) but everyone on here seems to have a truly amazing capacity to miss the point:

Excuse my bluntness but that does seem to refer to you.
Narrowing down the problem requires your co-operation in supplying the information asked for, not just for fun, but because it's necessary.

Perhaps there is a hint there of how I can solve the problem I have now I am with Plusnet?

Not unless you're in the habit of putting 2 and 2 together to make 5.

Of course it does but you seem to have eliminated BT Openreach's equipment without knowing if it is or isn't that.
I get the impression Plusnet is working hard to close that gap. Sad

Probably would agree with you there with recent developments regarding telephone support and tickets.
However the people trying to help you here, notably Anotherone, are not PlusNet staff.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Of course it does but you seem to have eliminated BT Openreach's equipment without knowing if it is or isn't that.

How you can POSSIBLY draw that conclusion is entirely beyond my comprehension.
Anyway, I have decided to try and investigate this problem for now, as far as I can, using my own devices. So don't worry about it.
Estragon
Rising Star

Please can you tell me two associated things :). First, is it a bog standard corded phone, or a DECT phone?
Second, assuming it is a DECT phone, when disconnecting it do you just remove its phone cable from the phone socket, or do you also remove its power plug from the mains socket? (Or switch the mains socket off if it has a switch).
jem16
Grafter

How you can POSSIBLY draw that conclusion is entirely beyond my comprehension.

Probably just the fact that you feel moving away from PlusNet will solve your problem.
Anyway, I have decided to try and investigate this problem for now, as far as I can, using my own devices.

A little less bluff and bluster might help too as will RouterStats and its graphs.
So don't worry about it.

I'll try not to.  Smiley