Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something wrong

cedlor
Grafter

Re: Something wrong

Did you ever get a new corded phone.?
Please can you confirm the type of filter and master socket as AN asked above.
Are you connected to the router with a short cable, long cable or wireless
I am not certain but I think the recent drop in speed is likely to be attributable to your
a) switching off overnight  and b) when you dont like the speed it starts at doing numerous restarts to increase it.
That may help short term but if each time you do it it notches up as a fault the DLM will kick in and hours later
it connects to PN and drops the sync speed and/or increases the noise margin to compensate.
May also result in banding being put back on.
Is it not in your best interest to leave it switched on for a week or two?
It may give us an idea of what is going on if you posted the full stats more often and perhaps
running Router stats to give a bit more information and graphs,
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm afraid I didn't get a new corded phone.
The filters are just the standard ones supplied by Plusnet with the TG582n router. I also have two old TalkTalk ones.
I have a standard NTE5 main socket, router is connected to a single extension socket. Apart from corded phone there is no other connected equipment. Usually use laptop connected by wireless. This always seems reliable even with router wireless on low power.
About this switching off - I know the usual claim about keeping router switched on, but I am never really happy leaving equipment on overnight. I always switched my router off overnight and this was so in the past even when everything worked perfectly with speeds over 16Mbps. I have tried leaving it on continuously for some days but I never noticed it made it run faster. Could it not be equally argued that leaving it on all the time increases the probability of it picking up a noisy episode and so slowing down? Smiley
I have only needed to do several restarts recently due to much reduced speed at start up or several disconnections. When things are going OK, normal switching on/off does not seem to cause any problem.
What has been happening recently is the SN margin diving all over the place from +14dB to -2dB! In the past the SN margin on Plusnet used to start at 6.0dB at switch on and was a straight line for the whole day, that is when I got +16Mbps. It is currently 15,836kbps, 5.9dB. It has been fairly stable today.
I am keeping an eye (and an ear) on a very slight noise at the phone connector plug when mechanically disturbed. The sockets do not seem to be noisy.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

I note interleaving is now ON.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

...but now line is dropping again.  Cry
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: pvmb

How do you know that?  - If it is from RS stats you were always "interleaved -see post 25
RS doesnt always get the "interleaved) bit correct mine shows as interleaved and definitely is not.

You dont seem to be helping yourself here and not helping us to help you.
Back in APRIL Anotherone ( a very knowledgable contributor) said
"So your combination of Errors with possible drops due to noise and random reboots that aren't graceful is likely to see banded speeds and/or a raised Target SNRM. "
and you have made little effort to follow steps suggested to improve things.

I dont know a lot about this stuff and this may sound harsh but you appear to be doing everything wrong.
You appear to have a poor phone on which calls you receive are noisy?
You say "
Noise:  There is a problem with a noisy hook switch on my phone, this would only be apparent on incoming calls or checks for messages, it wouldn't be a cause of problems when phone was on hook. I have experienced intermittent noise on incoming calls and cannot be entirely sure whether this is on the line or from the hook switch, but some noises lately have been fizzing noises which don't sound like the sort of thing that would be caused by the switch."
You say:
" I also tried disconnecting 'properly' via the router, before powering down. Got fed up with it!"

You are using wifi instead of a wired connection. 
You have the router on an Extension? 
Is that a proper BT extension or a cheap flat wire plugin telephone extension cable.
When you take the front off the Master socket are there any wires attached to it? (on the inside)
If it is a BT extension what wires are connected (colours)
You keep switching the router off despite all indications that it will be better left on.
"I have tried leaving it on continuously for some days but I never noticed it made it run faster."
Leaving it on is not a quick fix - it is agradual improvement in line quality as "seen" by the system.
" Could it not be equally argued that leaving it on all the time increases the probability of it picking up a noisy episode and so slowing down? "
Not really if there is external line noise from a skybox/TV/ railway /electric fence/ intruder alarm/ street lights
(list is endless) it will be picked up whether the router is switched on or not.
You seem to be running Router Stats  but you dont post the stats as requested so we cant build up a picture of what is going on
. Having said that if you are switching off every night you will be losing the benifit of the picture  RS
builds up.
Ideally you should also be posting the graphs from Routerstats.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

And another drop! This time whilst I have been operating with landline and it's associated filter completely unplugged, so the only thing connected is the router.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

<i>Quote from: pvmb on Today at 09:55
How do you know that?  - If it is from RS stats you were always "interleaved -see post 25
RS doesnt always get the "interleaved) bit correct mine shows as interleaved and definitely is not.</i>
Because DSLstats is reporting this to be so - and FEC errors are now also being plotted.
<i>You dont seem to be helping yourself here and not helping us to help you.
Back in APRIL Anotherone ( a very knowledgable contributor) said
"So your combination of Errors with possible drops due to noise and random reboots that aren't graceful is likely to see banded speeds and/or a raised Target SNRM. "
and you have made little effort to follow steps suggested to improve things.</i>
How do you know? Also, the point you miss is that this is a highly intermittent problem.
<i>I dont know a lot about this stuff and this may sound harsh but you appear to be doing everything wrong.</i>
But like you said you "dont know a lot about this stuff".
<i>You appear to have a poor phone on which calls you receive are noisy?
You say "
Noise:  There is a problem with a noisy hook switch on my phone, this would only be apparent on incoming calls or checks for messages, it wouldn't be a cause of problems when phone was on hook. I have experienced intermittent noise on incoming calls and cannot be entirely sure whether this is on the line or from the hook switch, but some noises lately have been fizzing noises which don't sound like the sort of thing that would be caused by the switch."</i>
So how do you know the origin of the noise? Let us all in on your 'secret powers'. The latest disconnection has occurred while my landline phone was deliberately disconnected.
<i>You are using wifi instead of a wired connection. </i>
Yep! It's legal where I live.
<i>You have the router on an Extension? 
Is that a proper BT extension or a cheap flat wire plugin telephone extension cable.</i>
It is a normally installed wired extension. It comes with the property.
<i>When you take the front off the Master socket are there any wires attached to it? (on the inside)</i>
Well, I'd be in trouble if there weren't! Do I need to ask for my last years Plusnet subscription to be returned?
<i>If it is a BT extension what wires are connected (colours)
You keep switching the router off despite all indications that it will be better left on.</i>
I keep HAVING TO either switch it off to hard reboot it, or soft reboot it over my wireless(!) connection from my PC.
<i>"I have tried leaving it on continuously for some days but I never noticed it made it run faster."
Leaving it on is not a quick fix - it is agradual improvement in line quality as "seen" by the system.</i>
Oh really? So what do we do while we are waiting?
Contrary to what you say, my experience is if it starts up with a low speed rebooting it DOES achieve a more normal speed.
<i>" Could it not be equally argued that leaving it on all the time increases the probability of it picking up a noisy episode and so slowing down? "
Not really if there is external line noise from a skybox/TV/ railway /electric fence/ intruder alarm/ street lights (list is endless) it will be picked up whether the router is switched on or not.</i>
Really? You mean like my TV receives BBC programmes when it is switched off? Also - if it makes "no diference" then switching it off doesn't actually matter, does it? Smiley
<i>You seem to be running Router Stats but you dont post the stats as requested so we cant build up a picture of what is going on. Having said that if you are switching off every night you will be losing the benifit of the picture  RS builds up. Ideally you should also be posting the graphs from Routerstats.</i>
I am not currently running "Routerstats".
All useful information gratefully received. I'm afraid, cedlor, that appears to exclude you.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well, where do I start with all this. One of the reasons I haven't posted much of late is, you don't "seem" to have done any of the things suggested, you certainly haven''t posted the information requested. All you seem to have posted is (excuse me if I paraphrase) "it's dropped again".  Cedlor has rightly picked up on a number of points I was going to comment on.
So how do you know the origin of the noise? Let us all in on your 'secret powers'. The latest disconnection has occurred while my landline phone was deliberately disconnected.

If you'd posted the information that was requested at the time and told us exactly what you had or had not done, you would have received guidance on how to track that down. I'm afraid you seem to think that unplugging the phone will make a difference to the disconnects.
And if you've repeated what you did on Thursday morning between 1000 & 1130 with whatever else has been going then that may well have caused DLM to act (which it might have done anyway) and either/and/or band your speed, raise the Target SNRM, turn on Interleaving, none of which will improve your BB performance.
I suggest you start by posting the current Full DSL stats from your 582n (link in my sig to get to the right page), the results of  the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, use an ethernet connection, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Also post  your Current Line speed (Login required) & don't post your phone number. In the meantime, I'll have a re-read of this thread and see what constructive comment I can post on what has and has not been done.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Well, where do I start with all this. One of the reasons I haven't posted much of late is, you don't "seem" to have done any of the things suggested, you certainly haven''t posted the information requested. All you seem to have posted is (excuse me if I paraphrase) "it's dropped again".  Cedlor has rightly picked up on a number of points I was going to comment on.

Excuse me! Most of the "points...picked up on" by cedlor are irrelevant. I thought I had made that very plain.
Anotherone
Champion

Most of the points picked up by cedlor ARE relevant. I'm going to pick out a few of them in a moment. You clearly do NOT understand all the various factors that can affect the performance of your broadband.
jem16
Grafter

You may think they are irrelevant but they are very relevant.
People are trying to help you here.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

It IS difficult to get a consistent picture from a BB of what is going on in a particular case with a particular subscriber. However, THAT SUBSCRIBER, does know what is and what is not the case!
The reason I settled on one strand on this BB was precisely because I felt it would help to keep all the information together and make things simpler. It does not seem to be working.
Obviously I know what IS the case and what is NOT the case with my setup - about the full technical aspects, that is another story.
This is a highly intermittent problem, THAT IS the problem! I am sorry if I cannot make it a simple easy, obvious, straightforward problem - I would if I could.
This is NOT a "wireless problem". I am actually running quite successfully with my Thomson router wireless switched to low power. YES and I can connect to the router - by wireless - quite easily even when things go tits up. That isn't the problem. The problem is the router itself loses connection to the exchange/IP services etc. I know this because, when things go tits up I log in to the router (by wireless) and I see it has lost the connection. I also observe the flashing red light on the router front panel. How will a "wired" connection help with that?
"Most of the points picked up by cedlor ARE relevant. I'm going to pick out a few of them in a moment. You clearly do NOT understand all the various factors that can affect the performance of your broadband."
So one person says:
"You appear to have a poor phone on which calls you receive are noisy?"
And another says:
"I'm afraid you seem to think that unplugging the phone will make a difference to the disconnects."

How is that "helpful"?
jem16
Grafter

This is NOT a "wireless problem". I am actually running quite successfully with my Thomson router wireless switched to low power. YES and I can connect to the router - by wireless - quite easily even when things go tits up. That isn't the problem. The problem is the router itself loses connection to the exchange/IP services etc. I know this because, when things go tits up I log in to the router (by wireless) and I see it has lost the connection. I also observe the flashing red light on the router front panel. How will a "wired" connection help with that?

And have you said that before?
However it is also possible that a wireless issue may be bringing down the router, hence the question.

So one person says:
"You appear to have a poor phone on which calls you receive are noisy?"
And another says:
"I'm afraid you seem to think that unplugging the phone will make a difference to the disconnects."

How is that "helpful"?

A noisy line will be apparent whether or not the phone itself is actually connected. This noise will affect your BB.
You appear to think that disconnecting the phone will make the problem go away so it is helpful to point out otherwise.
If you want help then do what is being asked.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro

xdsl info expand=enabled
Physical Layer Statistics:       
  Modem state:                  up
  Up time (Days hh:mm:ss):      0 days, 0:14:21
  xDSL Standard:                ITU-T G.992.5
  xDSL Annex:                  Annex A
  Channel Mode:                      Interleaved
  Number of reset:              20
  Chipset Vendor info (G.994.1):  Local Remote
    Country code:                  B500  B500
    ID:                            BDCM  IFTN
    Specific:                      0000  71C8
  System Vendor info (showtime): Local Remote
    Country code:                0F00  0000
    ID:                          TMMB  ----
    Specific:                    3C61  0000
  Bearers generic info          DS        US     
    Payload rate [Kbps]: 15740    1181 
    Attenuation [dB]:    29.0          15.2         
    Margins [dB]:        6.2            6.7           
    Output power [dBm]:  0.0            12.6         
    Number of bearers:          1
    Bearer 0                    DS        US     
      INP [DMT symbols]:    1.08          0.41         
      Delay [ms]:          7.64          5.92         
      Depth []:          96            0.00
      R:                  12        0     
G.997.1 Statistics (Current):       
  Failures:
    Line failures              Near end
      Loss of signal (LOS):  39     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    165   
      Loss of power (LPR):  0     
  Performance monitoring:
    Line PM:          Near end
      Error second (ES):    689   
    Channel PM:        Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        Code Violation (CV):    11      0     
        FEC:                    1220    0     
    ATM data path PM:            Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        HEC violation count (HEC):      83      N/A
G.997.1 Statistics (last 15 minutes):       
  Failures:
      Loss of signal (LOS):  0     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    0     
  Performance monitoring:
      Error second (ES):    1     
      Bearer 0:
      Bearer 0:
G.997.1 Statistics (last 24 hours):       
  Failures:
      Loss of signal (LOS):  39     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    165   
  Performance monitoring:
      Error second (ES):    689   
      Bearer 0:
      Bearer 0:
{admin}=>

And via ethernet:
BT:
Download Speed (Mbps): 13.45
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.90
Ping Latency (ms): 45.00
Pretty identical to what I get via (low power) wireless. Actually rather on the poor side...
The BT Performance Tester is currently "unavailable". Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Very often with Broadband problems, there can be one (perhaps small) issue that only occurs very intermittently and it's only when another problem arises, or maybe even a 3rd that a user complains about a problem. It's then, that one has to go through a process of elimination to get problems resolved.
Reading through the thread to try and see what potential issues have either been addressed or eliminated, reply #35 is fairly typical of responses in this thread, I ask for some information and my question in the previous post is completely ignored and that post a couple of weeks later just goes on about how your connection has dropped. reply #44 is another where you didn't make one single response to any of the points mentioned in my previous post and you come up with some pie in the sky idea that your wifi is affected by some exchange issue!
Right, I'll eliminate some of the points raised.
With your relatively short line, switching off at night and considering the time of day when you tend to switch on (based on the VR graph) would in normal circumstances have little effect on performance of your connection. However, when you have a dropping connection it can sometimes make a difference, I wouldn't have thought it would have at present, but can't be certain.
Rebooting repeatedly (last Thursday as an example) without doing it gracefully as previously mentioned, especially if errors are high and the connection is dropping, will sooner or later cause DLM to act which it appears to have done. Earlier this year it banded your speed.
Graceful disconnects you have admitted you stopped doing.
Your most recent problems appear to have got worse around the same time you bought a new TV, so there has to be a suspicion that there maybe an issue with it causing interference. You don't seem to appreciate that any number of electrical and electronic devices can cause interference when they are either faulty or badly designed. A dealer may not be able to adequately test whether or not your TV is causing an issue in your setup up (with whatever else you have connected as well). Looking what's happening to the SNRM and errors whilst running RouterStats is the only way of checking this out, and any device being checked must be unplugged from the mains, not just put into standby to be sure.
Edit: Deleted remark due to confusion with another user  Embarrassed
Using a "wired" connection eliminates any potential interference to a wifi signal as well as helping to demonstrate consistency with some of the test results which may help eliminate or point a finger at any potential modem/router problems. A users interpretation of logs or stats does not provide adequate assurances about anything. Trying to get real data and facts from you is like trying to get blood from a stone!
Really? You mean like my TV receives BBC programmes when it is switched off? Also - if it makes "no diference" then switching it off doesn't actually matter, does it?

It is a normally installed wired extension. It comes with the property.

Those remarks and your total lack of response to some of my posts shows that you do not understand the complexities that can be involved.
I tell you what, you certainly have a phone line fault, albeit intermittent, and that could be difficult to resolve, but I suggest you concentrate on that first as that seems to be the predominant problem and has been going on since January at least.. I have other commitments next week so I won't be wasting my time on what appears to be a fruitless exercise trying to help you. I have written many posts on this forum that will explain to you how to go about checking your internal wiring and that the extension is wired to the correct standard for broadband, and how to deal with potentially dirty connections with plugs, sockets and filters. It could be any of those causing your problem. Just because "it came with the property" means nothing.  I suggest you go and have a long read.
Once you are certain that any noise is in fact on the external line, then Report a phone line fault using the Phone Troubleshooter (login needed). You need to do all the checks ultimately at the test socket to protect yourself from any potential charges.
If you are lucky that a line test reveals a fault at the time, or an engineer visit locates one, then should you have any remaining problem that maybe related to interference, you could read my many posts about those problems as well.
I'll briefly comment on the stats you've just posted, in a minute.