cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone Else With Atrocious speeds (Mon 24/05/10) - (Now Resolved!)

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Someone Else With Atrocious speeds (Mon 24/05/10)

It will be interesting to see if you get a faster and more reliable your line when you only have the one device connected. I'm stunned that it worked at all with both connected - the only explanation I can think of is that the ADSL router is totally dead.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

It sounds like your old router was completely dead. We should have checked that though, I'll make sure that's fed back.
Spruance
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
It sounds like your old router was completely dead. We should have checked that though, I'll make sure that's fed back.

Yes exactly!
Yesterday I was firmly committed to jumping ship to another ISP but many a rash decision is made in haste and up until this incident I have always been pleased with the Plusnet broadband product. What was so frustrating with Plusnet Support (as opposed to this forum) was that there didn't appear to be any 'joined up thinking'. After all I had already offered the possibility that my router might be at fault but this was dismissed out of hand whilst I was instructed to go through the BT test socket procedure. On the basis of the results of these tests Plusnet Support were planning to send a BT engineer out to my house this week to check the wiring. Indeed had BT been able to make it this morning I would have probably agreed but as it was that slot was unavailable and I cannot cover afternoons this week, which meant the earliest would have been Wednesday morning. That was when I again asked if I could try the (7 year old) Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem. After some teething troubles with the software and trying to remember how to set it up, it worked perfectly and I was online for a good three hours last evening with speedtests coming in at around 2.7Mbps download. I accept that this is much lower than it should be but I suspect that this is the best that the old modem can manage as that is on a par with what I was getting withy the same device when it was much newer. I have run several tests at different times of the day today but still the speed is fairly constant at around the 2.7Mbps mark +/- 100kbps so I cannot grumble at that and it also serves to further rubbish the 'faulty line' argument.
Anyway, having had time to think things over I think that I will probably stick with Plusnet for now and buy a shiny new router. Smiley I have seen NetGear recommended elsewhere on here. Any other suggestions?
Rgds
Brian (Spruance)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Netgears are a pretty safe choice
Obviously you can get a Thompson from Plusnet for £4.99 P&P if you are happy with staying a year (you'd have to pay £40 if you left earlier) - see http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/orders/hardware_delivery.shtml
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks Jelv. Smiley
I have considered another Plusnet freebie butI still might go for a full price option and then at least I wouldn't be tied down.
MisterW mentioned previously that my old BT1801HG router wasn't compatible with the new 21CN broadband. Presumably the current Plusnet offering can handle that???
Brian
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, the Thomson routers we supply are both compatible with ADSL2+ (either the 1 port or the 4 port wireless).
Spruance
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Yes, the Thomson routers we supply are both compatible with ADSL2+ (either the 1 port or the 4 port wireless).

Thanks Matt. Wink
I've just been looking at the alternatives but since I have decided to stay with Plusnet I've really nothing to lose by having the Thomson. I'm not a gamer and I am not the least bit interested in such like as XBox etc so I think the Thomson probably fits the bill.
Brian
PS: Order just placed with Support for the 4-port Thomson 585v7 so now I will be waiting eagerly for Santa's ... ahem... the postman's visitGrin