cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some speed/sync advice for a new user please!

Nemo2000
Grafter

Some speed/sync advice for a new user please!

I have now been on PlusNet Value for a couple of weeks, during which time I have been keeping an eye on my download and sync speeds. I've also been reading up the various Help pages on the subject - comprehensive and informative, but I'm not sure that I'm any the wiser as to exactly what is happening with my line at the moment  Undecided
My previous ISP provided an "up to 2MB" service. I found that my router usually synced about 2MB and downloads speeds averaged around 1.6-1.75MB. The initial estimate from PlusNet before joining was approx 3.5MB. An e-mail today from PlusNet gives an estimated line speed of 3MB, tho' I note from checking my account details that the only estimate recorded there was taken about a week before I joined !
I kept my existing router when I moved to Plusnet. For the first 24 hours it synced about 3.6MB and everything went like a rocket!, but then it dropped off. In general, for most of the day the router tends now to sync about 3.0 - 3.4MB, tho' one day it went at 3.8MB ! However downloads struggle to get above about 2.3MB and quite often are only about 1.8-1.9MB. Various BT speedcheck tests suggest that the IP Profile is only 2MB.
What concerns me also is that on most days somewhere about 19:30-21:30 hours the router log records that the DSL is dropped and then restarted, with the new sync speed being much lower in the range 2.0-2.4MB. The service becomes noticeably worse about that time. When its' good, it's good - but when it's slower it often seems worse  than my previous ISP  Cry
Is this sort of pattern to be expected, or is the traffic management still tinkering and might it settle down in due course at a consistently better rate?
2 REPLIES 2
chesterfield
Grafter

Re: Some speed/sync advice for a new user please!

Sounds to me like the router is resynchronising due to a slightly more noisy line in the evening (the SNR figure from your router at this time will probably start to become lower until it forces the router to resync).  The ip profile that BT have will be based on the sync speed that you have.
If by any chance your sync speed increases, it may be reflected a few hours later by the bt ip profile, however as soon as you resync at a lower rate later in the day, the ip profile will be bumped back down again instantly.
If you have any stats available from your router (attenuation, SNR, sync speed etc) it may help provide a better explanation as to whats happening.
Nemo2000
Grafter

Re: Some speed/sync advice for a new user please!

OK, thanks for the advice.
I will try to collect some sets of "before and after" stats and post them here in due course.