Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions about 21st Century network

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Some questions about 21st Century network

Good morning all,
Sometime last week around the 29th Feb I was ‘upgraded’ to 21st century networking, since then I have been monitoring my line statistics with RouterStats and have a couple of question if anyone can answer them.
I know that for around 10 days the system will re-train itself to the idiosyncrasies of my long part copper, part aluminium line. However it seems the system is far cleverer than I thought so for instance;
From the router statistics my download speed has increased from around 4992 (it held that for a long time before the update) to hovering around the 5744 mark. But my upload speed seems to increase by the day and has now reached 1062 (faster than my original download back in 2004), is this ‘normal’?
Also my router reports the ‘DSL Path Mode’ is changing by the day, during the day it often reports ‘Fastpath’ and at sometime in the evening the router will ‘glitch’ and report ‘Interleaved’, again is this ‘normal’?
Lastly, even though I note the increase in download speed as above my actual download throughput speed has stayed the same at around 480 Mbs, should this increase to match the increase in download speed?

5 REPLIES 5
x47c
Grafter

Re: Some questions about 21st Century network

The only comment I can add - (not being on 21CN myself )is.
Yes, The 21CN system is a lot smarter  - sometimes called more aggressive than 20CN.
It will indeed change the interleaving and the target SNR if it feels like it up and down.
On 20CN if it did not like something then it would change it for the worse and then leave it there.
It would be quite logical to have a line on 'Fast' during the day and as evening/darkness drew in and the errors on the line always get worse switch to 'interleaved'.
Yours is the first time I've seen a report of this being done on a daily basis - htough it might be happening all over the place and only those interested in such matters would notice it.
I'm told that those on longer marginal lines benefit from 21CN's aggressive line management and are more stable as a result
On a few lines 21CN seems to get a bit confused and starts chasing its own tail by trying to be too clever and then some manual intervention is necessary to block some of its antics.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Pendragon,
You should be getting more than that. I presume you are using a wired connection while running the speed test? Could you run a BT speed test and paste the results back here?
Jojo Smiley
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi Joanne,
Sorry I was playing Eve Online and didn't come back to check like I should have  Wink
Anyway this is the result of the test;

FAQ
Results Image not loaded
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
3.7 Mbps

0 Kbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3.7 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.99 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
983 Kbps

0 Kbps 832 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 983Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 832 Kbps
I'm quite happy with the download speed because BT always told us 2 Meg was the maximum we would ever get,but like everyone if we can get more then, lucky us.
Also Note I'm using an old' ish Linksys WAG354G ADSL2+ modem (our WAG160N just would not hold sync with ADSL2+ no idea why), firmware is up to date in both.
I also have one of your Thomson TG585 v8 modems you sent me last year when I was having connection problems, but we don't like using this because of the wireless connection problems (firmware was up to date).
Oh yes and we are direct wired into the new type BT ADSL/Phone splitter box on the wall.
If you wish me to change anything, let me know.
Regards P.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Pendragon,
What's the sync speed reported by the router? I can see your profile updated on the 4th March (yesterday) on BTs side to 4544kb/s so I've set it on our side to 4500 to match, but if you could post the router stats we'll be able to see if that should be higher.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi Matt,
Stats from the router as of now;
Linksys WAG354G Firmware 1.01.11
DSL Status:  Up  
      DSL Modulation Mode:          ADSL2+  
      DSL Path Mode:                      FAST  
      Downstream Rate:                5762 Kbps  
      Upstream Rate:                    1051 Kbps  
      Downstream Margin:              3 db  
      Upstream Margin:                  6 db  
      Downstream Line Attenuation:    46  
      Upstream Line Attenuation:    21  
      Downstream Transmit Power: 0  
      Upstream Transmit Power:      0  

PVC Connection

Encapsulation:  RFC 2364 PPPoA  
      Multiplexing:  VC  
      QoS:                  UBR  
      PCR Rate:        0  
      SCR Rate:        0  
      Autodetect:        Disable  
      VPI:                0   
      VCI:               38   
      Enable:        Yes  
      PVC Status:        Applied
My son reported our download speed did go up last night (thats actual throughput) from about 460 Kbps to 580 Kbps, if it stays at that and with Fast Path we will not complain.
We are on a rural long line so nearly 6 Meg downstream is not bad at all for us  :o.
Regards, P.