cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] How to configure a Linux device to Thomson TG585 v7 correctly.

inkyfingers
Dabbler

[Solved] How to configure a Linux device to Thomson TG585 v7 correctly.

When I first introduce a device and view the Thompson Gateway on http://192.168.1.254
in the area:- Home > Home Network > Ethernet > ethport1
the device will show as:-    unknown-xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Does "unknown" = one of the "system-names" of the device?
If so, on a Debian Linux machine, which name?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: How to configure a Linux device to Thomson TG585 v7 correctly.

The xx:xx … part is obviously the MAC address of the network card. Possibly if that supplied a 'name' it might use it. When connecting Windows PCs I've only seen 'unknown- xx:xx …' appear, whether the connection is via Ethernet or wireless. For my convenience I replace this (using the "connection" menu) with the host name of the computer and 'wired' or 'wireless' as appropriate (without the MAC address). I think it is only a label.
David
inkyfingers
Dabbler

Thank you spraxyt
As a follow on - is it accurate to say the router displays the Mac Address it has collected from the device,
plus "unknown" to indicate that the device has not yet been configured by the user?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm not sure one can place such a formal meaning on a component of the default device name, I imagine it just means the router doesn't know any better. The Physical Address field must be the one that matters, and what is shown there ties in with the Physical Address I see by running ipconfig /all at a DOS prompt on my PC.
If the user wants to configure a name (and type) the router is happy to display these but probably doesn't make formal use of them itself.
David
inkyfingers
Dabbler

Thanks for that. Was working on eliminating simplest things first! - my non-java-enabled PDA now looks error free.  Smiley
Ellis
Grafter

Re: [Solved] How to configure a Linux device to Thomson TG585 v7 correctly.

My desktop and laptop were recognised as just that, both were named when Ubuntu was installed.