cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So whats actully happening to customers broadband speeds?

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: So whats actully happening to customers broadband speeds?

Do you have any programs running on your PC or using your connection when you're seeing the higher ping times?
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Nothing different to what its always been, the only other person who uses the net is the wife but she connects with her smartphone its never been an issue. I read it takes roughly 10 days after an SNR reset for things to settle so ill wait it out and see what happens, my connection speed seams to be better again its just the ping it used to be 15-25 max the past 2 months its been 38 to 40+ which can make a difference in gaming which ismostly what we use the internet for soo ill just see how we go and monitor it. Today I have a family member over and he is using an xbox 360 so I cant really run any tests today, but will try again tomorrow.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It might be worth setting a ping graph up.
St3
Aspiring Champion

yep think I will, it seams my ping is the only thing that's wrong atm, for around most of my time here at plusnet I always had a ping of 15 to 25 but past 2 months its been a lot higher.
St3
Aspiring Champion

ok got it setup should I post it on forums then chris ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Might as well, though Chris is not likely to be back here until Tuesday.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

St3
Aspiring Champion

My connection feels stable again just my ping as you can see is higher than 15-25 which ive always had. Ping is important to me for gaming this is why im moaning alittle Wink
St3
Aspiring Champion

hmm ive no idea why that graph has gone red from the time I turned the pc off, because the router was still on as it always is.
picbits
Rising Star

Not read the rest of the thread but if you are not on a static IP then you'll get the red when your IP address changes.
St3
Aspiring Champion

ahh ok dom cheers, do ips auto change then at anytime ?
picbits
Rising Star

They can do - usually when you have a router reboot though.
If you want an accurate view of what is happening on the graphs, consider the one off charge of a fiver for Plusnet to sort you out a static IP address Smiley
St3
Aspiring Champion

strange because I aint rebooted it or jumped gateways, so could this mean a fault at my exchange ?
picbits
Rising Star

I'm not sure if IP addresses handed out dynamically by Plusnet have a long TTL (time to live) before they get renewed but it could just have been that the time was up on yours so your router requested a renewal and was given another address.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've had a bit of a look at your line and tbh a ping of under 40ms isn't an issue really. It looks like interleaving is *on* at the moment for your line, we can try turning it off but if your line becomes unstable it'll need to go back on. To turn it off is a next day order, as is turning it back on.
Let us know if you want to try it off.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: ukste20
strange because I aint rebooted it or jumped gateways, so could this mean a fault at my exchange ?

The IP address will change if the PPP session is lost and restored and you do not have a static IP address.  A dynamic IP address will last for the full duration of the PPP session.  IIRC the router will request a lease renewal on expiry of the lease's half life.
The PPP session can be lost for a number of reasons, including the lost of DSL synch.  If there is no loss of synch and / r the connection is not being used at the time (yours was around 21:30) the user might nt even have noticed it, unless there was something monitoring the connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.