cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV can`t connect through - help please!

pauljbloor

Smart TV can`t connect through - help please!

I bought a Panasonic Smart Viera TV yesterday and expected an easy internet setup, like all my other devices, but a whole day later and several phone calls and I am stumped. I have a connection between the TV and the Thomson TG585v8 router but keep getting a message saying " IP address is not acquired" when I try to use any internet functions on the TV. I have been told to set up a manual IP for the TV so my router will give it permission to connect through to the internet, but when I go onto the router page and select the TV I am unable to edit the IP address to assign a new one. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to edit the IP address and use the SMART functions on my TV please. cheers.
jim:red All capos in title changed as per this Forum Rule mod:end
17 REPLIES 17
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: SMART TV CAN`T CONNECT THROUGH - HELP PLEASE!

Look at the top right of the page and you should see configure, click on that to make changes Smiley
pauljbloor

Re: Smart TV can`t connect through - help please!

Thanks. I have tried this but can`t get any access to the IP line to change the address.
See below for the information that comes up. I want to alter the IP address but cant overtype it or edit it.
Unknown-c0-d9-62-89-fd-57 
Information

Physical Address: c0:d9:62:89:fd:57

IP Address Assignment: Static

IP Address: 0.0.0.0

HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: pauljbloor
I have been told to set up a manual IP for the TV so my router will give it permission to connect through to the internet,

By who, that's total twaddle.  Crazy
Wrong.  Cry
gtowen
Rising Star

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon, but until then try disconnecting your tv from the router and reconnecting. Maube then the dhcp server in the router will assign an ip address to the tv.  Failing that I don't think you can change any assigned ip addresses while the dhcp server is enabled. You can try disabling the dhcp server (Home Network/Interfaces page click on local network at the top, then on configure) and then assigning your chosen ip address to the tv, afterwards re enable the dhcp server. Not sure if it will save the changes and work though, not tried it myself Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: gtowen
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along soon, but until then try disconnecting your tv from the router and reconnecting. Maube then the dhcp server in the router will assign an ip address to the tv.  

It won't do that until the error highlighted above is corrected.  Wink
The IP setting should be Dynamic via DHCP (or whatever equivalent wording the TV settings use).
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Using DHCP doesn't just assign an IP to a device but also supplies it information about internet access so it's usually a preferred method.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Indeed, such as DNS. But that's maybe "too much information" for this audience at this stage.  Wink
gtowen
Rising Star

Sorry was just trying to help, will bow out Smiley
pauljbloor

OK, so you have now gathered that I am no expert. I just need some plain spoken instructions of what to do. ta
HPsauce
Pro

RTFM and look for DHCP.  Wink
Unless there's someone here with the exact same TV you're going to have to find out how to change stuff for yourself and tell people here what options the manual gives you in relevant areas.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If your Panasonic TV is like mine, what have you selected on the TV in Setup, Network setup, IP/DNS Settings, Acquire IP Address: Auto or Manual? It ought to "just work" if you select Auto.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pauljbloor

Thanks Jelv. I think it is set up to Auto but until I get home later and go through it all again I can`t confirm this. In the meantime i am getting an Ethernet cable sorted to check that the TV is actually working on smart features. WIll repost once i have tried all this.
HPsauce
Pro

I think it is set up to Auto

This says otherwise, unless you've changed it since.  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wasn't sure if that was from the router or the TV - I suspected the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)