cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowing down.

longdriver
Dabbler

Slowing down.

I joined plusnet in Nov 08, after a sticky start faulty micro filter slow download and upload speeds, finally got it all sorted and was in broadband heaven speeds of 6700  6900kbps every day. The honeymoon lasted three weeks i now cannot get speeds above 4700kbps at any time night or day. Where has the speed gone I'm told by tech dept i should be happy with what iv'e got. Perhaps i should upgrade but will my service be upgraded or is it like the advert says you put the big fat worm on the line i took the bait now your realing me in. Angry Huh
14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Slowing down.

Can you post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/ and also post your router stats.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
longdriver
Dabbler

BT speedtest are as follows.
                                07/01/09    dsl connection rate 6208 kbps
                                                      upstream                  448 kbps
                                  Actual throughput achieved    4566 kbps
                                08/01/09    dsl                              6176 kbps
                                                        upstream                  448 kbps
                                    Actual                                          4016 kbps           
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What does the speedtester say your profile is and also what is your profile here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Your speeds seem ok?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What speeds are you talking about longdriver? If those 6700/6900 kbps are throughput speeds, you're not going to get anywhere near that with sync speed 6178-62087, so something maybe still amiss. Maybe your target snrm has gone up as a result of your previous filter problem.
As already suggested if you post your router ADSL stats (reply #1) and PN profile from the member centre (reply #3) we can do a better analysis.
longdriver
Dabbler

Slowing down even more speed down to 470kbps up 220kbps Whats going on? it's slower than dial up. Will try switching on and off daily as sugested in fault checker. my profile estimates 5000kbps. Will someone explain how to obtain router stats and what they are plain english please.
                                                                                                                                  Many Thanks.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your Plusnet profile of 5000kbps is correct for a sync speed of 6176kbps.
The text at the top of this Kitz website page explains what router stats are (sync/connection speed, attenuation and noise margin) and further down the page hopefully you will find information on how to obtain these for your router. As you will see the procedure differs between routers so there is no universal answer to your question. It would help if you mentioned which router you are using and did you use a different one in the early days when you had higher download speeds?
Both the downstream and upstream stats are of interest.
What operating system (version of Windows) do you have on your PC?
David
scootie
Grafter

You using the bt speed tester?
As of late i have found the speed result to be very hit and miss most tests i do will come back with a 3 figure speed result most come back around the 200-300kbps mark. so i just dismiss these as being bt's normall rubish service as normal.
I only use the bt speed test to see what bt have my line profiled at.
Try using the http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/the one on the plusnet member centre and also http://www.speedtest.net/ after. This will tell you if bt's tester is lying.
edit= just done 3 speed tests back to back my broadband 1st speednet 2nd and then bt's and guess what as predicted bt came back 177kbps
longdriver
Dabbler

Router now gone down completely will not reboot. Before it went down, all speedtests done on Plusnet and Thinkbroadband sites both gave same result  [ sailband  ]
                                                                  Ideas anyone
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you weren't able to post any router stats per replies #1 & #7 and you didn't comment whether those 6700/6900 speeds were sync speeds or throughput speeds, it's a liitle difficult to be definitive as to the cause of your problem.
Analysing ADSL router stats is initially far more important with these problems than speed test results.
If I had to take a wild guess however, I'd say your router was the problem.
longdriver
Dabbler

Rang fault line today got through pretty quick, explained my problem router down couldn't reboot. It appears when i switched router off as instructed to on broadband fault checker to regain speed, the dam thing reverted to factory settings. Restored my settings and i'm back on line but still on snailband.Further investigation revealed circuit is BT IP stream Max is capped to be uncapped tomorrow should be back up to speed. Watch this space further news tomorrow
                                                                                                        Many thanks
                                                                                                                Longdriver.  Wink   
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Glad to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel @longdriver, let us know how you get on...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

longdriver
Dabbler

Smiley Well folks it's good news back up to speed again  took a couple of days but speeds of 6000kbps +. Many thanks to folks in tech dept. Now some advice please what do you do with router after use leave it switched on or off ?. If i switch it off it reverts back to factory settings and i have to go through the setup procedure again, will leaving it switched on course any problems?.
                  longdriver.
scootie
Grafter

strange that it restores factory setting after power down.
but to answer your question leaving router on is fine and is in most cases the norm but most people will do a resync every few weeks