cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Than Dial Up

collieocoll
Grafter

Slower Than Dial Up

4,1/2 min: it took me to load this page. Is this a record?.
This has nothing to do with Snow or dampness cause
this has been going on for over a Month now.
I am paying good money for nowt, time to move on. Sad
You will recieve my Termination of this Account in due course.
18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Slower Than Dial Up

If your car was stuck in a traffic jam, you wouldn't get out of your car and into another one stuck in the same traffic jam.  The situation with ISPs can be much the same.  Plusnet uses BT lines and BT equipment in the telephone exchange.  Many other ISPs do the same so if you just switch to another ISP using the same equipment over the same telephone line then your only slim hope of improvement is that you have a router fault and your new ISP will send you a new router.
collieocoll
Grafter

Would just like to point out I dont have a Car. Roll_eyes
What I leave here with I dont take elswhere with me.
What I may get will be a Company that delivers what I pay for.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Unless you have an LLU option available on your exchange something you said a while back applies:
Quote from: collieocoll
Being in West Cornwall and living out in the back of beyond we cant get the very fast speeds that people talk about, or ever get, or hope to get, an upgrade to ADSL2 + ( maybe Ten Years from now ) but what I have far exceeds expectations and is far superior to what I have ever had.

Whatever speed you can get with another ISP using BT's services you can get using Plusnet.
If you could post your router statistics (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin), the results of a BT speed test, a description of your telephone setup (how many sockets, where the router is plugged in, where you have filters, where you have anything plugged in - telephones, Sky box or alarms etc) we should be able to advise you on optimising your speeds. If you also gave us the name of the exchange we can make suggestions on your other options.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
donne
Grafter

Whatever speed you can get with another ISP using BT's services you can get using Plusnet.

Surely it depends on how interested Plusnet are in keeping BT up to the mark in the maintemance of their network.  While putting digital signals down old copper wires may seem a triumph of ingenuity, to say that we have to put up with poor speeds because of 'water in the joints' is pathetic.  If we are buying boadband from Plusnet. it's their responsibility to deliver the best possible speed for each customer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I did say "can get" not "will get".
Posting on here with all the relevant information is the best way to change "can" to "will" as not only do you get the benefit of all the experience of fellow users, you also get the intervention of the Digital care team if Plusnet need pushing to do what is needed.
collieocoll
Grafter

Quote from: collieocoll on 22/02/2010, 21:55
Being in West Cornwall and living out in the back of beyond we cant get the very fast speeds that people talk about, or ever get, or hope to get, an upgrade to ADSL2 + ( maybe Ten Years from now ) but what I have far exceeds expectations and is far superior to what I have ever had.

This is what frustrates and annoys me!!!
That was a quote from me nearly Ten Months ago, so whats gone wrong?. Everything is as it was back then. Do Routers Slow down before a breakdown?. Do wires diminish and get worse over a ten month period. At the minit it takes me longer to load a page online than it did when I was on dial up. Its eratic to say the least.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
302 Kbps

0 Kbps 500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 302 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :416 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

I am no expert on these figures but know what I am getting when online, which is way below what I am used to having. This line is supposed to deliver 1.5Mb and I know it can, I would be happy even if it dropped to half the speed but it goes way below that.
Very confusing!!!!

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: jelv
If you could post your router statistics (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin), the results of a BT speed test, a description of your telephone setup (how many sockets, where the router is plugged in, where you have filters, where you have anything plugged in - telephones, Sky box or alarms etc) we should be able to advise you on optimising your speeds. If you also gave us the name of the exchange we can make suggestions on your other options.

Can you give the rest of the information asked for please. The results of the BT speedtest show that we particularly need the router stats.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi collieocoll,
Sorry to hear you're suffering from slower speeds at the moment. I'll see if I can spot any obvious issues that may be causing this. It's a shame you never called our support center or raised a fault when you first posted on this thread, though, as we may have been much nearer to a solution by now. While I'm looking into this I would still visit our help page for some tips on how to troubleshoot this, where it also gives you the option to raise a fault.
Jojo Smiley
collieocoll
Grafter

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/65340191.png
Thats the link to my lates Speed Test.
I havent done nowt to this set up, yet its back to what it was.
I am sure its got to be these old wires thats causing this, see how long it holds together again.
Thats me smiling again, thanks any way for the Input.
I would add, knowing how far from the exchange I am and with these a old copper wires, I am bound to get some
backlash along the way.
Thanks  Joanne all done now....and also Jelv.
Merry Xmas and Braw New Year To All.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi collieocoll,
Thanks for the wishes. If you ever need any more assistance don't hesitate to give us a shout.
Jojo Smiley
collieocoll
Grafter

www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk]
A wee story.....When this happened nothing was to done to rectify it, somehow it just started working again.
Last week I was working on my Site till around 01.30hrs all was well. When I went to the Puter later in the morning there was nowt, no Net connection.
I rushed around unsrewing checking this that and the next thing all was well, still no Net connection.
I was standing by the window fuming, I looked outside and three loops up on the road Poles where the wire should have been
there was nothing. From the pole where my wire comes from I have Five Loops running to the house, the first and second loops were lying on the ground, so, a quick call to Bt, ,they, will be here in a couple of hours. Sure enough they turned up on time done the job, called me up,
all well everything working. I got online and was running again at my usual speed until tonight.
Woe is me I am back to square one with a slightly slower speed than last time. Could there still be something wrong with the outside Line, surely it cant be the Snow cause we havent had any around here yet.
I will give it a couple of days see how it goes, and take it from there.
collieocoll
Grafter

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk]
My Latest Speed test
WWWombat
Grafter

Way back, long ago, you asked:
Quote from: collieocoll
Do wires diminish and get worse over a ten month period.

I guess you've just experienced one of the worst ways that to get the answer to this - a total line breakage.
Even before this, you were obviously suffering from some sort of intermittant problem with the line - perhaps a slightly stretched line, or water in a joint. Who knows? But they only tend to get worse over time, never better.
But the best advice to start following is what Jelv posted in 3 of his previous posts. In this one:
Posting on here with all the relevant information is the best way to change "can" to "will" as not only do you get the benefit of all the experience of fellow users, you also get the intervention of the Digital care team if Plusnet need pushing to do what is needed.

and he said what the "relevant information was in:

Can you give the rest of the information asked for please. The results of the BT speedtest show that we particularly need the router stats.

This advice still stands... Your latest speed results show that the router stats (which help show the condition of the line between you and teh exchange) are the starting point for investigations.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
collieocoll
Grafter

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk]
Latest...........................