cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Speeds than before

serpantino
Dabbler

Slower Speeds than before

Ok I've complained about this in the past and had no satisfactory answers from Plusnet yet. When I first signed up I was getting just under 8mbps and for the year & half prior to that when I was on BT I had the same speed. Since last year when my line was mistakenly given to someone else for a week, I've noticed it drop and it's now down to 5mbps.
My line attenuation is always around 37db, my ping is usually 30ms or lower and my jitter rate is always 1ms and the test socket is clear of interference so why has my connection dropped down 2mbps? I'd raise a support ticket but the last couple of times it's been unhelpful and I've had generic advice which I'd already done (try a different modem, try a different filter etc.) followed by "Oh we'll have to do a call out"... something I don't want so early on because it's really not likely to be my end. The most help I had was that I was told there were "issues" on my line but I was never informed as to the details and haven't encountered issues beyond slowing speeds.
It seems the support on the forums is generally better than the tickets so do any users or staff have any clue as to what the issue might be?
12 REPLIES 12
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Slower Speeds than before

Possibly the DLM has increased your target noise margin, eg due to excessive error rates, or there is a fault on your line. Posting the information mentioned in the sticky post here would help users make more meaningful comments.
David
serpantino
Dabbler

I have posted most of that already  :). I didn't add my Noise Margin though which is 10db atm and scales between 7 and 11. I've only got the one line in my place, am currently plugged into the test socket and I recently turned interleaving off (this is after the slowing speeds though as I just don't like it due to online gaming a lot and it was only meant to be turned on temporarily anyhow.) Speed from Modem is Download:7136 kbps (This used to be higher and it was stable back then too) Upload: 448 kbps Router is a Netgear DG384
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just run a check on your line and it's showing a sync rate of 7136 with a noise margin of 11dB so I suspect it's currently set at 12. I can't see any drops in your connection logs (there's a 14 day connection and then the current one which has been going for nearly 40 hours now) so suspect that we could get away with an SNR reset if you wish, that's about the only way we could reduce it and get your speed back up.
Given the condition of the line and the length of the past few connections I'd say it'd be fine to do this - please let us know if you'd like to go ahead.
serpantino
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
Just run a check on your line and it's showing a sync rate of 7136 with a noise margin of 11dB so I suspect it's currently set at 12. I can't see any drops in your connection logs (there's a 14 day connection and then the current one which has been going for nearly 40 hours now) so suspect that we could get away with an SNR reset if you wish, that's about the only way we could reduce it and get your speed back up.
Given the condition of the line and the length of the past few connections I'd say it'd be fine to do this - please let us know if you'd like to go ahead.

Hi Matt,
Yes please that would be great.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Requested for you Smiley Should take effect within the next few hours, hope it helps.
serpantino
Dabbler

Thanks a lot. I'll try a speed test etc tomorrow and see how it fares. Is it a good idea to disconnect and reconnect or will the change be automatic? I've noticed my router has gone back up to 8136kbps. If this was such a simple fix I wonder why I had the whole "We'll have to send out an engineer" situation  :-\.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I wonder why I had the whole "We'll have to send out an engineer" situation

I'm sorry if that was the case and I'm glad to see that Matt's advise helped to get that sorted out instead.
Just looking at your account now, can you let me know when you were advised this so I can give some feedback?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
serpantino
Dabbler

I'm not sure. It was a few months ago maybe February. This hasn't solved the problem though I'm still getting 5.7mbps whereas I used to get 7.8mbps.
serpantino
Dabbler

Ok so now my line speed is constantly jumping about from 1mbps to 5.78mbps and my ping keeps bouncing over 100ms which is making online gaming difficult. Is this because of the weather or is it something else because I've been trying to play online with friends and am having a hell of a time with lag.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Is this because of the weather or is it something else because I've been trying to play online with friends and am having a hell of a time with lag.

We'd need you to raise a fault to find that out serpantino: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sounds as though you have an intermittent connection. Can you hear any crackling noise on the line when using the phone?
serpantino
Dabbler

Hi,
I can't hear any crackling noise and I've just come back from a weekend away, turned everything on and got a speed of 0.67dl. Rebooted the router and it's still around 0.95 with a ping rate of 225ms. I'm going to raise a fault now as I'm not happy at all with this.
Edit: Now it's about an hour later and I have a 6.96mbps (better than I've had in a long time) & a ping of 23ms (not great but vastly improved on earlier.) I get the feeling it's going to keep fluctuating like this.