Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower Broadband Speed.

AndyFM
Dabbler

Slower Broadband Speed.

Hi, 

My connection has been pretty consistent until getting home today, where it is running a lot slower than normal. 

Attached are the details from the router, BT wholesale test, and speed showing in PN Portal.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
AndyFM
Dabbler

Re: Slower Broadband Speed.

Is someone able to check my line to see if there is an issue? My regular downstream rate is usually very close to the max, however I noticed when getting home today (approx 18:30), that the rate was at around 6600, rather than 15-17k.

Thanks.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Andy,

A warm welcome to the forums.  The give away here is the DS SNRM - its 22dB when it ought to be nearer 6dB.  It looks like the line has been banded, possibly to keep it stable.  To fix this, the cause of the instability needs to be identified and corrected.  Please take a look at the ADSL speed issues topic - link below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyFM
Dabbler

Hi, 

I performed the quiet line test, and couldn't hear anything. 

I've just checked my router stats again (below):

router stats 28-11-2017.PNG

DS SNR is lower, and current rate is better, but now my Max has dropped. Guess this will increase if the line appears more stable over time. 

(I do also have a ticket open, but am still awaiting a reply since Friday).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Something is odd here - yes the SNRM is better, but still way off from where it should be.

You might want to try phoning or using chat for a service update.  Also check the ticket (use the link below) to eliminate the possibility that you have been asked for an engineering visit appointment.

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Request response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Apologies for the delayed response.

I can see a fault has been raised regarding this which I'll be updating shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyFM
Dabbler

Hi Matthew, 

Thank you for your reply on my ticket. I noticed that my connection dropped and came back twice since you're post here on the forum (which i assume was the settings being changed / line being reset). 

I've checked my router stats and the SNR Margin is back to 6.2 now, with current rate at 17700. Should I reboot my router (with 10 second off time) anyway? or if it's showing as mentioned, should I just leave it now? 

Thanks again for you help.

Andrew

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@AndyFM just out of curiosity could you post your router stats as they are now just like you did in post #4 please?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Andrew,

I would avoid restarting the router ... such practices can lead to the issues you have seen.

Sight of the router stats and the PN profile (current speed) again would be useful please.

AndyFM
Dabbler

Hi, 

below are the router stats as of now. 

router stats (2) 28-11-2017.PNG

current line speed on PN Portal is showing 10.6Mb (which is lower than the 16.7Mb seeing last week).

@Townman the reason i asked about restarting the router is that @MatthewWheeler mentioned in the ticket that the line reset usually takes 4hrs, and after 4hrs i should turn my router off for 10 seconds. Once rebooted the speed should be normal again.

As the DSL connection disconnected/reconnected during the time he was doing the tests (I assume they were caused by the tests/reset), and when he replied I checked the router and stats looked back to normal, I wondered if a reset was still required, or should I just leave it. 

Thanks

Andrew

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Andy,

I can now offer a clear suggestion... 

The 17.7mbps SYNCH speed should deliver a PN current speed report of 15.6mbps - HOWEVER on the "new" network it is not entirely clear that the "current speed (IP profile)" figure has any effect and if it is still systematically updated.  If you router allows, I would suggest that you execute a manual internet disconnect and then reconnect.  Then check the PN current speed again.

This drops the PPP session whilst maintaining synch.  Dropping synch by rebooting the router can cause the DLM to think the line is unstable ... with the possibility of undesirable adjustments (again).

The synch speed is a little low for a 24dB attenuated line; restarting the router in dark hours never does deliver the very best of speeds.  Wait until day light hours tomorrow - look at the DS SNRM - if it is markedly above 6dB restart the router and see if there is any speed improvement.  The best you might see on this line in ideal conditions will be circa 18.6mbps - so you are not too far off the mark.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

That's looking pretty good now, the portal speed should catch up but it wouldn't do any harm to give it a nudge @MatthewWheeler ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A manual nudge of the profile will still require a drop of PPP for it to be come effective.

Note: The reason I suggested above not to reboot the router, is that if it synchs at a different speed, that will send yet another update to Plusnet ... which could be less than the current speed ... especially resynching in dark hours.