cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow youtube?

missisbeki
Grafter

Slow youtube?

Hi recently moved from BBYW3 to the extra pro package and to ADSL2, however youtube loads really slowly regardless of time of day.
Had a few problems with odd few websites but think that is related to the actual site, and speed tests seem to come back pretty good.
Anyone any ideas why its taking so long to load videos up?
Thanks
33 REPLIES 33
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Slow youtube?

Any particular videos? are they ones with hundreds of thousands / millions of views? or just a few thousand?
I've had a few issues with YT recently, but they've been content based (e.g. the video sticks half way thru go back half an hour later and it works fine  ::)) but no speed issues.
Using extra pro, it should be at line speed all day regardless - how fasts the connection you have?
Regards
missisbeki
Grafter

hanks for the quick reply.
Just done a speed test now, although my fiancé is on xbox live and refused to get off so not sure what effect that will have had.

Its any videos, I have tried with a few views and with loads of views, its starts to load really fast for a second (as soon as you click on the video) and then it just goes so slow!
Its been happening for a few days now too.
matt_2k34
Grafter

probably negligable.
You've got good speed. So i'd expect the videos to continue streaming at a similar pace...
I get to about 20-30% in the video being buffered instantly - then the rest seems to buffer particularly slowly (50KB/s for anyone wondering) but the playing rate does not catch up with the downloading rate...
changing from 360p to 480p causes the same effect (big chunk to buffer instantly, then relatively slow thereafter) -- This was my test video
Does the slow speed actually affect the watching of the video (e.g. does it stop and have to buffer) or does it continue uninterupted?
Also - you havent gone over your usage allowance im guessing?
Regards
missisbeki
Grafter

I watched your test video and it was the same speed loading both playing and not playing (if you get what i mean), though to give you some idea, it took till 2.20 for it to be fully loaded when the video was playing. It doesnt affect the video as it does continue loading though sometimes some chunks seemed to take longer than other if that makes sense?
EDIT still within usage allowance as well
matt_2k34
Grafter

Interesting!
Took *exactly* 2:20 for it to be loaded for me too...

Looks like its shaping PN's end .. i wouldnt worry about it too much until it interferes with a video (e.g. - your viewing it faster than the video can buffer)...
Regards
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Snap - took 2min 20sec to fully load for me too - and my connection is slower - IP Profile 5500kbps.

I'm on standard Extra, and Youtube should be linespeed at the present time. After the initial burst Networx shows "steady" download 250kbps with spikes to 520kbps (30 to 65kBps). I suspect the Youtube server might be managing delivery to minimise peak demands on its own resources.
David
missisbeki
Grafter

weird behaviour! nice to know I'm not the only one its effecting though
The down side is that when I am gaming and want to use a video guide (pesky minikits on lego games i'm looking at you!) I have to wait for it to load up so I can see the part I need, which isnt a huge problem but I'm impatient hehe  Crazy
It does make me wonder though if it is the shaping, what else is being effected.
mathewlisett
Grafter

just so you know, ive hated the way youtube keeps messing with their code that previously worked fine.
and by that i mean as shown on my youtube channel mathewmartialart i get asked if i want to sub to my own channel Huh
i get shown content thats already on the page but in a different order when i press "load more videos"
i get told ive already watched a video when theres not a chance ie SYTYCD
and even though this bit has nothign to do with the issue, i really hate the fact they dont have a single forum onsite......
matt_2k34
Grafter

I suspect the Youtube server might be managing delivery to minimise peak demands on its own resources.

Hmm.. One does raise the question of does the flash player in the YT page "know" where you are in the video and how much is buffered, aswell as the max buffer speed... that would allow them to configure the video to download faster than is playable - and reduce 'peaky' network performance. Was using the same method as you spraxyt to measure speed.
Doesnt help when you want to skip ahead though...
edit: having said that, it doesnt look that clever and looks like its done at network level - as id expect that swapping to HTML5 would of broken any such function  Wink
and just had a quick poke ... PN is definitely shaping correctly (so apologies for the earlier jibe!) - but it is definitely the source putting on the breaks.. Sad -- Google needs money?
(And just a tip: HTML5 version of the site doesnt support the 'in video', video adverts - so if your browser supports it (IE9, FF5 ...) then id go with This version of YouTube
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The server must know how much data it has served, and how many seconds that covers. From checking other videos it looks like it aims to deliver the complete content in 70% of play time. They probably periodically monitor delivery statistics to refine global settings.
Dragging the 'current point' bug to the right, even beyond what is currently downloaded allows me to skip to that point. The video starts loading again (with a burst) from where I move the bug to.
David
matt_2k34
Grafter

The video starts loading again (with a burst) from where I move the bug to.

Indeed.
Interesting analysis folks Smiley
apologies but ive tweaked my post above spraxyt. (didnt expect anyone to read, let alone post at 1am  ::))
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: Matt_2k34
apologies but ive tweaked my post above spraxyt. (didnt expect anyone to read, let alone post at 1am  ::))

No problem. Grin
David
mathewlisett
Grafter

and this is why i have resorted to downloading the youtube clips so that i dont have any playback issues
matt_2k34
Grafter

so that i dont have any playback issues

There isnt a playback issue, theres a "skipping into the video past the buffer, it takes a second for it to pick up again" issue...
What issue have you noticed Mathew which prevents the clips being watchable?