cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow wireless speed.

coatseh
Grafter

Re: Slow wireless speed.

Should add speeds dropped from 15 to 10 with the new router, but still a massive improvement. Probably likely to pick up a more modern router soon I guess.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Sight of the router stats would be informative.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

coatseh
Grafter

Presume you mean of the router I perceive to be faulty(Thomson TG582N)? I have attached what I think is the right stats on that for you? If it's not, let me know and I will get that for you.

If you are meaning the new (well old) router I have swapped in for the faulty one for I can get you those too. It seems to be getting the 16mb I was getting before though on this one now, so that's nice. This one's a Thomson TG585.
I'd be happy if I could get to the cause of the troubles I had on my TG582, as that is the newer router.

But yeah, since changing over the internet has been literally perfect, which is nice  Smiley

Thanks again.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

With that synch speed, you profile (current speed) should be around 17.4Mbps.  Hopefully data test speeds not that much slower.
Your line (for the given attenuation) should synch a bit faster than it is doing.  Is the router in the master socket?  Are there any extensions?  Is there any noise on the line - dial 17070 option 2 and do it regularly, looking for intermittent noise.
Comparable synch speed details from the other router would be of interest. What version of firmware is installed o the TG582n?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

coatseh
Grafter

As far as I am aware the router is in the master socket, with no extensions either. I have tried the line a few times but found no noise, it is very good actually.
I have attached the information for the router I am currently using for you to check. The firmware on the TG582n is r10.2.0.B I believe. I thought about trying to downgrade the firmware but it wouldn't seem to let me?
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Question for those familiar with that router, can those error stats be correct - exactly the same number of FECs as CRCs?  Coincidentally my 582N has been online for 6 hours as well, and my stats are 804,746 FECs and 3,919 CRCs.
coatseh
Grafter

Just remembered my old router had a fault where it loses power every now and again, not too bad for just general browsing but a touch annoying when on games etc. So likely going to get myself a new router if I can't solve the issues with my 582 quite quickly.
Would something like: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BP0SASI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd...
Work for PN Broadband? Seems to be far more powerful etc than Plusnet supplied router? Also, should I ever get Fibre, presume this should be compatible even if only as a router, with the modem being the one supplied by PN with fibre.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@aesmith
Those error counts are garbage, it'll be related to attempting to display or store -1 or some other invalid value, the number is near 2^32.
@coatseh
The TP-Link TD-W8980 would work with Plusnet ADSL, and although it could be used with a separate modem, separate FTTC modems are no longer supplied by Plusnet. The 8980 is actually the same hardware as the 9980, so if you enjoy risking breaking things, it's possible to flash it with the 9980 firmware.
The TP-Link would not be to everyone's taste, as it doesn't work with any DSL stats monitoring programs, doesn't provide very detailed stats, and is based on a Lantiq chipset (the same chipset as the BT HomeHub 5A and Plusnet Hub One) rather than Broadcom.
coatseh
Grafter

@ejs

Would you be able to recommend me a router under say £50? Ideally the cheaper the better haha!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I'm not really sure you even need a new router, you appeared to be receiving a good strength signal from the 582n.
Perhaps you could try experimenting with changing a few settings via telnet: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#wirelessn
You could even try disabling 11n on the 582n and just setting it to 11b/g - since I assume the older router is using 11g (the 585v7 is 11g, the 585v8 is 11n but only with one antenna so only does 65Mbps by default).
coatseh
Grafter

Thank you. How do I go about resetting the firmware of the router back to the factory default version? I tried simply reseting it but it stayed on the 10.x.x.xB software.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

To change the firmware version, you have to use the firmware upgrade program to install a firmware image onto the router, downgrading would be the same process as upgrading. If the program doesn't work, it could be because the program isn't compatible with Windows 8 / 10. You could try running the Windows 7 version of the upgrade program in a compatibility mode.