cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speed

josborn

Slow upload speed

My download speed is ok at 16Mbps but the upload speed is 0.7Mbps - this is unusable for remote working (zoom, skype, teams etc). Can this be right? I dont remember it being so bad until recently?

J

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Slow upload speed

@josborn  Welcome to the forum.

It sounds about right for ADSL, if you live next door to the exchange it's unlikely to exceed 1Mbps.

Have you considered upgrading to fibre? If you put your phone number in here you can see what's available.  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

josborn

Really? I am surprised that I cant use zoom on my current connection. I used to be able to, which suggests something has changed. Would you expect to be able to use zoom effectively with 0.7Mbps upload speed? Is it possible that zoom is throttled or something?

J.

Baldrick1

@josborn 

Your question was about your speed, not Zoom. This article suggests that you need 0.6Mbps minimum. https://www.highspeedinternet.com/resources/zoom-guide

This suggests that it should be possible on low resolution but it's on the edge so you won't be able to do anything else on line at the same time. Did you look at what your line should support by following the link that I posted earler?

Moderator and Customer

josborn

Thanks @Baldrick1 the intention of my question is to work out why I seem to be unable to use remote telecon facilities on my broadband when I used to be able to and surely others on ADSL do. I dont really care about absolute numbers so I apologise if it seems that the question is drifting.

I did follow your link, am I looking at WBC ADSL2+ Annex M row? In which case the upstream Line Rate is Up to 1.5. The other rows do not show an upstream line rate. 

Thanks for your help!

Baldrick1

@josborn 

I believe that the standard Plusnet offering is Annex A with apparently no guaranteed upload minimum. Plusnet use to sell Annex M at an additional cost but is certainly not worth bothering with if you can get fibre.

The problem is that as more subscribers come on line the crosstalk on the multi core cables use by BT is increasing and speeds are generally dropping.

You do have your computer connected to the Hub via an Ethernet cable and are not using wireless? If it's wireless then this could well be the issue.

Have you checked out your line by plugging a wired phone in, ringing 17070 and conductng a quiet line test? If it's quiet then take the front off your BT master socket, you may need to remove two screws, plug a filter in the test socket that you will find in the wall box and repeat your wired speed test. If these come out the same then unless your download speed is below estimates you may be stymied with ADSL.

Moderator and Customer