cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow throughput

Brian1W
Dabbler

Slow throughput

Hi, my line has completed its 10 day DLM but my overall throughput has not changed during the training period. I have a Billion router which I have configured to 2db to attain a higher speed on my line. The BT IP profile is 16.64Mbps and my Plusnet profile is close to this at 16.5mb but I am only achieving a 12.64Mbps throughput, surely this cannot be a coincidence? an exact 4mb difference both capped at 0.64Mbps at the end? I am also unsure about the upload speed as this seems definitely capped at 443Kbps. This leads me to believe there may be a cap on both download and upload, are these fixable? Thanks  Smiley
27 REPLIES 27
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Slow throughput

welcome to the forum Smiley
sounds like your upload is capped, with regards to the downloads what does it say in the portal here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
if that doesn't match the 16.64, there is your problem and should be easily sorted Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Brian1W
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for your input. My Plusnet profile is showing as 16.5mb so it is quite close to the 16.64mb. A 12.64mb throughput doesn't seem right.
AndyT
Grafter

Hi Brian1W,
Welcome  Smiley  It seems as though the low SNR margin is causing errors on your downstream, which in turn is likely to be causing the throughput issues.
Would you be able to configure your router to 6db and test to see if this improves your throughput speeds?  I can't envisage it haven't too much of an effect on your sync speed.
Regarding your upload speeds, they are currently capped at 448kbps.  If you would like me to place an order to uncap the upload please let me know, but please be aware that this may result in your downstream sync rate being reduced by around 0.5Mbps.
Andy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Did you repeat the speedtest at all Brian1W? That might have been a one off sort of thing, at that time there could be some congestion for a short while. Always a good idea to runs several tests just to see if it's constant or varies a lot.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AndyT
If you would like me to place an order to uncap the upload please let me know, but please be aware that this may result in your downstream sync rate being reduced by around 0.5Mbps.

Epic Fail!
There is virtually no danger of uncapped ADSL2+ upload causing anyone to lose download speed, except on rare occasions on a very few, very long, marginal lines.
The only time that would happen is when using Annex M which shifts the frequency goalposts.
Uncapped upload is noticeably quicker both ways, due to "ack" packets getting sent more quickly.
Brian1W
Dabbler

If you could uncap my upload that would be great thanks. As for my download throughput I have changed the profile back to 6db and achieved a sync of 15940Kbps as opposed to the 18863Kbps on the other profile. How does this fair on a line attenuation of 24db?
I ran another speed test and got 10.33Mbps throughput on a 14.06Mbps IP profile, this is a discrepancy of about 4mb similar to the previous sync. Should the throughput be close to the IP profile?
Thanks  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Check your Current Line speed (Login required) again to see if it matches the BT IP Profile.
That sync speed seems a touch low for a 24dB line but if the resync was this evening you might be picking up some interference which would give a slower speed.
Are you running the speed tests wired or wireless? If wireless, you really need to check wired.
Plusnet won't see the uncap request until tomorrow now btw..
Brian1W
Dabbler

@ Anotherone, the Plusnet profile had changed to exactly 14mb after re-sync to match the BT IP profile and the tests where done via a wired connection.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
I've placed the order for the uncapping of the upload. You should see the change by Tuesday, but I expect it to go through in the early hours of Monday morning.
You might need to raise your downloads to our support team. We can't raised it to our supplier though until the above change is complete (when the order closes).
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Brian1W, hello again, if that's the TG582n you are using, can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats to see if they may reveal anything helpful?
Brian1W
Dabbler

I have had a word with support, they will be monitoring my line over the next 72 hours. It looks like I have been switched to standard ADSL as I am now syncing at 8128Kbps. My new profile is 7.17 Mbps and I'm getting a throughput of 3.99 Mbps. I have included my new speed test and full router stats.
Anotherone
Champion

I wonder whose bright idea that was Brian1W, what a ridiculous thing to do, what do they think they are going to achieve by putting you on ADSL1, I do not know.
Anyway, your Stats are showing a lot of Bits errors, that's very bad news.
Have you tried another filter at all and do you have another Modem/Router that you could try if a filter swap doesn't improve things?
Brian1W
Dabbler

I was also curious about the change to ADSL1, I guess they will switch it back at some point  :-\. Unfortunately changing the router or micro filter did not make a difference. The bit errors you can see where after 5 hours up time on my router. I hope these aren't too many, how many is an acceptable level?
Anotherone
Champion

Shouldn't get Bit errors at all really. 1 in 10 million might just be considered acceptable. I wonder if the exchange line card is faulty.
High errors will certainly slow throughput. For 5 hours uptime the SuperFrame errors are high, but there seems to be something odd about the other figures, there seems to be an inconsistency that I can't put a finger on right atm.
What is this modem/router? What's the other that you have?