cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow sync speeds and dropouts

abey9
Dabbler

Slow sync speeds and dropouts

For the last week or so I have been getting dropped connections and low sync speeds, particularly since the whole-day outage last week. Before I would sync at 3-4000 kbps and get download speeds of around 2.5MBps.
Now I'm syncing at around 1500 kbps max, and download speeds of 0.8-1MBps. I haven't changed any equipment or hardware at my end.
Router stats:
Rate (Kbps): 1152 kbps 368 kbps
SNR Margin (dB): 18.2 15.2
Attenuation (dB): 56.0 30.4
Output Power (dBm): 15.3 11.3
Speedtest:

Any ideas on where to go from here? Last time this happened a SNR reset seemd to help a little
6 REPLIES 6
abey9
Dabbler

Re: Slow sync speeds and dropouts

Sorry for the bump, but I could really do with some help here, connection is getting more and more unstable, over the last day I can hardly go 10 minutes without losing internet access.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi abey9,
your connection looks rather shaky, and this will be what's causing your speed to slow down

have a look at our help guide for some tips on troubleshooting the issue.
Jojo Smiley
abey9
Dabbler

This is getting worse and worse.  Sad

Consistently syncing at only 288k now. Upstream rate is still 488k.
SNR margin is reasonable at 13.0, downstream attenuation is 56.
your connection looks rather shaky, and this will be what's causing your speed to slow down

Yes, I know my connection is unstable, that was the reason for me posting here. I've been through the troubleshooting links you provided, none of it is of any help - I've changed router, microfilters to no improvement. Can't test on a master socket as I don't have one within my property. Can't run the Broadband Fault Checker as it still lists the wrong telephone number despite several requests to get it changed over. I've tried leaving the router switched on for several days to see if it syncs up, rebooting it between 11 and 1, leaving it off all night - nothing helps.
There's been no changes on my end, either in hardware or software, to account for the drop. The only change I can identify is that I am now switched over to ADSL2+ Annex A  whereas I'm sure when I joined up in February I was on G.DMT (stanard ADSL). But I don't know when this change happened, or if it is related.

This is a profile issue at the ISP end. I'm set to sync at 288k with an IP profile of 250k.

Please help  Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi abey9,
Bearing in mind what you've done I would definitely raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net ; Your line is still looking no better really.

Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: abey9
Can't run the Broadband Fault Checker as it still lists the wrong telephone number despite several requests to get it changed over.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks jelv.
Hi abey9, I have now changed your number and closed the fault ticket, you will now be able to raise a fault under the correct phone number. Due to the delays you have suffered in raising this I will get this picked up straight away for you.
Jojo Smiley