Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow speeds

do you have a test socket you can connect to as per this? http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
phlim
Grafter

yes im in the test socket now
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Phil,
Were you in the test socket when you took and posted the stats at 1135?
Do I take it that the cable from the overhead to the white box in the porch was replaced the last time BT came?
Have you replace some cable as well? If so which one and with what?
phlim
Grafter

Hey, yeah the stats are all from when I'm plugged into the test socket. BT replaced that cable and put it on the other side of the house (closer to the telephone pole). We had to change the setup slightly, so there is a longer lead from the test socket to the router. The one we replaced was an old one that we hadn't used for a little while which is what I believe was making us get disconnects every 5-10 minutes. The stats during this were something like 2000 downstream and 400 up (or something similar, I didn't record the stats). But we replaced that one and now our stats are as stated before. So I think it's just a matter of letting the router adjust? or reset? I dunno the correct term for it or how it works.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

thanks phlim,
I'm noticing that the SNR margin is quite high (12db) and even higher in the test socket (14db) This no doubt is causing the disconnections and has drilled the line rate down to 135kbps.
I've submitted an SNR reset to push this down to 6db and should be around 2mb down so lets see how DLM retrains you from there. Of course if this isn't the desired result then we'll need to look at this from a faults perspective again.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
phlim
Grafter

Ok thanks Adam. We shall wait and see Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Exactly how long is this lead from the router to the test socket and what type is it?
Looking at the more recent stats the Noise margin has been running nearer to 15dB, but that said the reason for the very low throughput speed was you must have had a very low sync event for your BT IP profile to drop to 0.14Mbps possibly due to the line resyncing when a vast amount of noise was present or perhaps a short across the line.
When a line resyncs at a very low speed the profile will drop straight away, and once you've resynced at a higher speed, on 20CN is takes a few days with the modem/router left on 24/7 at a steady sync speed for the Exchange DLM to recover the profile. This appeared to happen a week ago as you said your speeds were back to normal, but as you've has a lot of noise on the line recently it's dropped again.
But, I'm a bit surprised that it's dropped to the same low 0.14Mbps as noise is very random, so I'm thinking is there anything else? On a quick scan through the thread, I see you've tried another filter. If you get another drop, then it may be worth trying the other one again, subject to your answer about the lead to the router.
But if you need to swap anything more around, don't forget to use the disconnect procedure I mentioned in reply #4 -
Login into it's interface homepage and look for where it says Connected and look for a button that's marked "Disconnect". Click on it, this disconnects the ppp session to the ISP, wait for the status to change to "Disconnected" then power down the modem/router before you disconnect it from the line. Change the Filter for another one, connect up and switch on again. You may need to login to the modem/router and click "Connect" to re-establish a ppp session.
Once the reset that Adam has applied takes effect you should be able to connect at 8Mbps with throughput speeds of around 7Mbps but this will only remain like that if you do not have any more repetitive drops or noise problems.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi phlim,
Your BT profile is now 6500. Ours was 6000 so I've just upped that. Are your speeds better now?
Jojo Smiley