cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

phlim
Grafter

Re: Slow speeds

Yes that is correct. Apologies for confusing people, I think my terminology is a bit off.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'll apologise as well, I ought to have thought to ask some more specific questions. Ok all looks fine, you can put the back plate back on the box, stay plugged into the test socket to keep Plusnet and any Openreach Engineer happy.  That cable presumably connects to another box which may be inside or out. Are you able to follow it and see where it goes?
BTW you can post attachments eg. photos etc directly onto a post, either by using the "Reply" button just below the previous post and when the box is open you'll see + Additional Options and Attachments... below the box. Click on it and there is a box to Browse where you have the file.
If you've used Quick reply, click on Preview and the same appears below the box.
phlim
Grafter

Yes that cable goes into a junction box in our porch and then outside onto the phone line.
Anotherone
Champion

Can we see a picture of the Junction box, does it have normal screws to open a cover? Can we have a picture of it Closed and Open if possible?
The cable going outside - does it go underground or up and overhead?
phlim
Grafter

Yes sorry the camera ran out of battery. The cable goes up the side of the house and to the roof/across towards the phone line. We suspected it might be to do with this part of the line as it has been raining A LOT recently. But wanted to check on here before having to get an engineer out.
Hopefully the photos are attatched.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, photos are fine, perfect. As for the incoming cable, does it just go through the wooden window/door frame and then up the wall?
At the roof, is it under the eaves where it goes across overhead to a pole? Is there another junction box under the eaves? - Don't worry about going up there with ladders or anything just say if you can see one, perhaps a zoomed in picture?
The bad news is that cable coming into the porch is an old standard - not modern twisted pair, anyway let's see what else before the next move.
phlim
Grafter

Yes the cable goes straight outside up the wall, under the eaves. It connects into another junction box and then onto the Telephone pole.
Anotherone
Champion

Because of the light/shade, can't be certain, but it does look as though it's round x-section cable going from the joint under the eaves across to the pole. At the pole, again because of the shade, I can't be sure, is the cover on that box not fully closed?
Does the cable from the house to the pole cross any road or footpaths?
phlim
Grafter

It goes to under the eaves into that black box to onto that wire and across to the pole. I think the box on the pole just comes away from the pole a little, but im pretty sure the cover is closed on it.
The cable goes over our drive and next to the road in the hedgerow.
Anotherone
Champion

Assuming you confirm that the cable from the house to the pole is round x-section, here is my opinion FWIW -
IF there is a fault on the cable to the pole, as it doesn't cross a road, you might get it repaired fairly quickly, once such a fault is proven.
Should this be the case and they come to replace it, you should politely insist they replace the old standard "drop-wire" into the porch, if they don't look as though they are going to - well ask if they are first.
In any event, if an engineer attends, you should try to persuade him to replace that drop wire - it's not twisted pair and will pick up interference.
Just to be clear on one other point, ALL the cables upto the NTE5 Master socket are BT's responsibility.
Back to internal stuff, if your ethernet cable is long enough, the best arrangement would be to have the modem/router next to the NTE5 - filter - short lead - modem/router. You can use an extension lead from the filter for the phone, but not for the router nor from the NTE5 to a filter.
Is the modem/router you are currently using, the one that was displaying drops or did they both do it? If  the drops continue whilst plugged into the Test socket then try the other modem/router again. If the drops have disappeared whilst plugged into the Test socket, try replacing the Front plate and plugging into that. If the drops re-appear there is a bad connection between the Front Plate and the Test socket and BT will have to replace it - their problem.
Don't forget what I said about logging in, Disconnecting the ppp session and powering down the modem/router before disconnecting.
In view of your current sync speed, I would do it in daylight hours not after dark when noise levels are higher.
phlim
Grafter

I'm not sure whether it is round x-section or not. But i think we will ring BT tomorrow see if they can send out an engineer.
Yeah I was thinking the same with the arrangement of the router etc. We should have an ethernet cable that long. I'll do more logging off/disconnecting the router tomorrow. I haven't noticed any drops in the line since i've been plugged into the test socket so will try it again with the front on.
Thanks for all the help! Has been much appreciated.
Cheers, Phil
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't ring BT just yet (i'm assuming you pay them your line rental) you need a proven fault otherwise it will cost you. They won't replace old cable if everything works, and it's easier to get these things done as a phone fault - you don't mention the broadband otherwise you get the run around. To get cable replaced under a broadband fault, it has to be that bad it's almost unusable, yours isn't that bad (yet?).
Let's see how things go in the Test socket for a while. If you are not getting drops at the moment and your sync speed is good (6000 kbps or so) leave the modem/router on - your profile will recover quicker. If you have a slower speed switch off tonight and resync in the morning.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi phlim,
If you're in the test socket and you've changed filters then maybe you are best calling you phone provider.Those drops are horrendous.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Jojo, that's very informative. Whatever went on Sunday morning no doubt led to his post later in the day. As to what happened this morning, hopefully we'll get an update!
phlim
Grafter

Hi, yeah those drops! Cheesy oh dear. Well we have rang BT this morning. The phone has been crackling like mad today and they said they will send out an engineer sometime between now and friday. And that if there isn't a fault then they won't charge? or something along those lines. But I'm pretty sure it's the line so we shall see.
Thanks for all the help!  Will update this to inform on the situation.