Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

phlim
Grafter

Slow speeds

Hi,
We're getting slow speeds again over the past couple days.

We think it might be something to do with the rain lately (getting into the phoneline/wires). Was just wondering if someone could check our line from your end to see if there is something wrong there.
I am currently connected into the test socket, and the results shown above are the speeds we are getting at the moment. Not sure if anyone who can help is around on a Sunday or not.
Thanks, Phil.
67 REPLIES 67
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow speeds

No Plusnet staff until Monday.
Please stay connected to the test socket.
Can you please do the following
Provide Modem/Router ADSL line stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream), errors.
If you have a Plusnet supplied Thomson router this link will give them. Alternatively put your router in here for guidance
Complete results of a BT speedtest (Diagnostic) copy & paste results in this thread. try this IP in the address bar
Current Line Speed from here (unless you are a Madasafish customer - try Account Summary , don't know if the information is there)
phlim
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the reply. I cant keep it connected here but will re-connect it tomorrow. Ive done a couple of your suggestions. This is what my router says, but i dont really know what it means.
Type Interleave
Status
                                      Downstream                Upstream
NAT Enabled
Data Rate(Kbps)               5888                          448
Noise margin (dB)       15.3                        23.0
Output power (dBm)         11.8                        19.8
Attenuation (dB)                  20.0                        11.0
"Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.07 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.89 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps"   
Above is what i get from BT speedtester. I should be getting around 6Mb. I usually get around 5.8/5.9Mb when i check it once everything is fine.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Looks like you've had one rogue sync at a very low speed which has clobbered your IP profile down to the minimum possible value. Give it a while and it should sort itself out as you are now syncing at nearly 6Mbps. Also your noise margin is very high, this should reduce if the line is stable, giving you a higher sync speed.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, due to the fault that you have/had, at some point you've had a very low (Downstream) sync speed with the exchange the DataRate(Kbps) as referred by your modem/router or DSL Connection Rate as referred by the BT Speedtester (Mbps). This has resulted in your IP Profile for your line being 0.14 Mbps which is what has limited your throughput (download) speed to 0.13 Mbps.
Considering your current sync speed (5888) if this holds for a while, your profile may go back up within 4hrs (due to the huge% increase). However BT's exchange DLM which controls this doesn't always respond as it should and it could take longer. Similarly the Current Line Speed at the member centre has to match. This relies on a Delta report from BT which isn't always timely, so a request may have to be made to Plusnet to amend it, but because of this problem it may not have gone down. Keep an eye on it.
As you are plugged into the Test socket (just double check, this is the socket behind the front plate of the Master socket), you have eliminated any internal fixed wiring & extensions as a possible cause. You now need to eliminate your filter & modem/router as possible causes. But before that, check to see if you can hear any audible crackling on your phone line whilst using the phone.
If you can hear audible noise, next time the noise is present, plug a known good corded phone direct into the test socket and confirm the noise is present. Phone and report it to your Line Rental provider whilst the noise is present and try and do so before there is an incoming call - ringing current can sometimes "clean" a bad connection and the noise disappears for a period. Tell the Call taker that you are plugged into the test socket with a known good corded phone. Don't mention the broadband otherwise you may get given the run around. Get the call taker to confirm they can hear the noise, request them to log that fact and the fact that is intermittent.  (Request that this detail is passed to the OpenReach engineer). Your Line rental provider should be able to do a remote line test (if it's Plusnet you shouldn't have a problem) which may find a fault. If not, those requests are important to make sure you don't get a No fault found bill if an engineer can't find a fault, but if the engineer is aware it's intermittent they should know a few things to check, if they are any good. When/if an engineer calls make sure he's been told it's intermittent.
If you can't hear any noise, back to the filter and modem/router. Login into it's interface homepage and look for where it says Connected and look for a button that's marked "Disconnect". Click on it, this disconnects the ppp session to the ISP, wait for the button to change to "Connect" then powerdown the modem/router before you disconnect it from the line. Change the Filter for another one, connect up and switch on again. You may need to login to the modem/router and click "Connect" to re-establish a ppp session.
If the problem continues, you need to try another modem/router. Disconnect the session and powerdown as above, plug in the new modem/router and power up. If the problem is still present, take a copy of the ADSL line stats and post here and you will need to raise a fault. Make sure you log the fact on the ticket (or state as such if you phone in) that you've tried an alternative filter and modem/router at the Test socket which is where you are currently connected.
HTH.
phlim
Grafter

Hi, Anotherone thanks for all the info/help.
The phone seems clear now that we are connected to the test socket. And i have tested two modems, our Belkin one and the thompson one. Nothing changes between the two when i did what you said. I also changed the micro filters which again did nothing.

Downstream            Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps)                               6080                448
  Noise margin (dB)                            15.1                25.0
Output power (dBm)                        11.9                        19.8
Attenuation (dB)                                20.0                11.0
These are the adsl stats from my router.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.09 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.08 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
These are my results from BT speedtester. If it is gonna re-sync/fix itself i hope it does it soon... its very frustrating not even being able to load youtube videos Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The connection was very intermittent this morning so I suspect (assuming things stay stable now you've plugged the router into the test socket) that your internal wiring or something thereon is causing noise. If you're happy to leave the router in the test socket indefinitely then that won't be a problem and we can get an SNR reset done to up your profile as soon as it's established as stable (say, later today if it's not dropped connection). Otherwise you'll need to let us know when you've found and fixed what's causing the problem on the internal wiring, whether it's something plugged in or the wiring itself - bell wire maybe? - and we can do the SNR reset then.
We do need to make sure the connection drops are resolved before resetting the SNR though.
phlim
Grafter

Hey Matt,
Yeah i can keep it all plugged into the test socket for today. The disconnects may have been me bringing the router down to the test socket. Also  i was disconnecting the router to try other routers etc, dont know if that was why it shows up as having disconnects. But i shall wait for further assistance as i dont know what else i can do.
Thanks
phlim
Grafter

HI, update had to move the router to another plug socket. From now on there shouldn't be any disconnections. Being connected to the test socket is kind of awkward as well, hopefully this won't take too long.
phlim
Grafter

UPDATE just checked if the bell wire was still connected (the orange one?) and it wasn't. Still getting intensely slow speeds!....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right... well, some good news and some bad.
Good news - now it's in the test socket you're syncing at 5984kb/s.
Unfortunately the BT profile is at 135k, which is what the SNR reset should sort (and what's causing the slow speeds).
However, that will reset the training period and require 10 days for the line to retrain. If that was going to work you'd need to keep the router plugged into the test socket throughout the training period and also for as long as you wanted to keep the proper profile - in essence it'd need to stay there all the time.
If it's awkward to have it plugged in there then there's not really a lot we can do, as if the router is plugged back into an extension socket the profile would drop again.
I think given what you've said you'll need to get rid of whatever's causing the issue on the internal wiring before we do anything, including resetting the SNR I'm afraid.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi phlim,
Let's have a look at the wiring, but don't forget what I said in reply #4 about Disconnecting the ppp session, & then powering down the modem/router before unplugging it & iyt's filter from the line.
On the back of the Master socket faceplate, there should only be 2 wires connected, a Blue/white trace to terminal 2, and a White/blue trace to terminal 5. None should be connected to 3 & 4. Check this is the case on the back of any extension sockets. Can you can confirm that those are the colour of the wires and not any other colours?
Also, check that the wires on 2 & 5 are fully seated in the terminals BUT DON'T push anything down the middle of the terminal to push on the wires - it may open out the IDC that grips the wire.  If the wires don't seem fuilly seated, you should have a little "tail" on one side and the wire on the other, try pushing those down, but carefully.
phlim
Grafter

Ok, so i have a couple questions. If i make it less awkward and keep the router plugged into the test socket from now on, after 10 days or so it will resume back to normal?
By plugging it into an extension cable does this count as plugging it into an extension socket? So at the moment i have it plugged into the test socket via an extended cable as my computer is up stairs. I can probably re-arrange the router to be downstairs and have to drill holes to get my ethernet cable down there if this is the case.
And finally, in relation to the first question. Can this not be resolved untill i fix my "internal wiring"? I have no idea whats causing an issue on internal wiring. Will this mean I have to ring up BT to test the test socket for any internal wiring issues?

Just seen Anotherone's post, and will check those wires now. thanks
phlim
Grafter

So in response to Anotherone's post about my wiring on the test socket. I think mine is slghtly different but there is only 2 wires connected and they are the blue and white ones. But there is no slots 1-5 just A,B and E and these are connected to A and B. Which i think is right and it all seems to be connected ok.
Anotherone
Champion

Argh, extension cables are a nightmare because they are very rarely twisted pair and they have a ring wire.
You need to get the modem/router plugged into the test socket with the shortest possible lead, so if you can do that for the time being and then post some more stats.
But in view of your other comments first, we need to confirm you have a NTE5 Master socket look here it should be the one on the left and scroll down a biit to see the test socket.
The wiring I'm talking about should be connected to the back of the removable faceplate not the back of the backplate which is where you may be looking.
If the back of the extension sockets have A & B, well that probably means they are old, but as long as the wires are the correct colours probably ok.
So I want to double check you have the correct standard of cable as well (spec. CW1308) can you confirm the colour of all the wires in the cable including those not connected - you should have Blue with a white trace, White with a Blue Trace, Orange with a white trace, White with an orange trace and you may have Green with a white trace  and White with a green trace. If you have any other colours please say what they are.
Edit: your Microfilters should look like this