Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds today.

JamesM
Grafter

Re: Slow speeds today.

Hi Jojo,
Yes it picked up later on last night as all the Man U fans logged off to go and kick their cats.  Grin
The speed of a night time has been hit and miss lately, I guess in future I should just check what sport is on and how important it is as to how many will be streaming it.
@ Anotherone, thanks for the heads up mate, I always try the London servers first because as you say they give me better results, but when they are bad I then try the servers closest to me, and as they were the last ones I checked, they were the ones I copied to the forum.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, thanks for letting us know Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Another night of slow speeds  Sad
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you checked your exchange VP status at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/? , sorry if I've missed that you have?
JamesM
Grafter

Showing green Anotherone,

It just seems to be all over the place,

a few minutes later

a few minutes later

and again,

OK last one  Wink
JamesM
Grafter

....and now back to normal

The times on the speed test are a hour behind, it is showing 10PM but it is 11 PM, not that it makes a difference to the speed tests but I will check tomorrow to see if it drops in the evening again and see if it picks up at 11:00 PM.
tomxlisa
Grafter

I am not looking forwards to all this sport kills your connection business, is this the way it normally is, if something popular is online then plusnet gets slow, at the moment i am with sky using llu and don't get any of this slow down business but am moving over to plusnet this week, i hope this isn't the way forward, is this problem gonna get solved so this doesn't always happen?.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI JamesM,
there are going to be times when speed tests report things a bit slower. I've run speed tests every minute and found them to vary a lot at times. If I was getting poor speeds for long periods of time I would be wondering what was going on but short variations could be caused by so many things.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tomxlisa,
There are going to be people who see slowdowns, but many more didn't. There could be many reasons and that's one of the reasons we pro-actively asked people to run tests during what we knew would be a much in demand event.
Jojo Smiley
tomxlisa
Grafter

I just hope slow speeds and congestion isn't a thing to come, with my current llu connection those type of things are pretty much non existent.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just remember that we have lots of customers, and although there will be faults occasionally, as with any service, I think reading forums like this can sometimes seem like there's lots of them, but you never really see people come on to post about how their internet is working fine today; so, not the best yardstick really. Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Connection was fine all last night.
Seems to be struggling a bit tonight again though,

Probably a lot of congestion at my exchange as it is fine during the day.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JamesM,
I think you should raise a fault, if your speed is falling below your estimate on a nightly basis. The best thing to do is to attach speed tests during good and bad times. A BT speed test should be run as well when it's bad. I've seen people have the VP changed for their line in these circumstances.
Jojo Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Jojo,
The speed has been fine all weekend, then tonight...

I have opened a fault and linked it to this, that is why I have put on another 2 speed tests.
I was reluctant to open a fault, as the last  time I opened a fault  (before the BT engineer changed the drop line outside my house) my uplaod was capped and interleaving was turned back on when I specifically asked for none of them to be changed. Nobody knew why they had been altered and it took over a month to get them changed back again. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen this time.  Shocked
James.
JamesM
Grafter

It looks like your speed issue could be being caused by errors being registered on your line (confirmed by our supplier's tests). The information being sent 'to' you is getting corrupted and having to be 'resent' which is causing speed reductions.

I don't agree with this, as I mentioned the line is spot on throughout the day and a couple of nights per week, the other 4 or 5 nights it drops from 10.4 Mb/s to 3or 4 Mb/s.

and one from Leeds