Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds related to BT works?

Mandoo
Dabbler

Slow speeds related to BT works?

Hi,
I have noticed that over the last few days my internet is running at a 2mb download instead of the usual 6mb. My ping and upload seem to be normal.
On Monday I received an email from Plusnet saying that my line can now receive the up-to-20mb service rather than the up-to-8mb that I'm currently on, but that this would take up to 5 weeks to sort out. I've been doing some checks to try to resolve my speed issue and found that my exchange is being upgraded to FTTC at the moment which should be live in the next couple of days.
With this in mind, do I wait for these works to be completed before raising a ticket for my speed issue or are they not likely to be related?
Thanks,
Mandy
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow speeds related to BT works?

Hi there,
If there's work going on at the exchange that may well be slowing things down, your line profile is set to 7150 on both ours and BTs sides so that shouldn't be affecting it. I'd recommend holding out if everything's working alright and letting us know if things don't improve once the work is done, though let us know if the connection is unusable and we'll see what we can do for you.
Mandoo
Dabbler

Thanks Matt. I'll leave it as it is for now then. Smiley
Mandoo
Dabbler

No change today other than upload dropping slightly. Still around 2mb download. Speedtest.net and BT check are both coming up with the same results, Sad

Is there any way to check what date my migration over to 21CN is at all? I don't really want to be stuck on this slow connection for 5 weeks while I wait for that, but I also don't want to go through the hoops that may be required to improve my speed now if my migration is soon.

The stats on my router look normal to me, but I'm not sure. I rebooted it yesterday to see if that would help, but it didn't.
Uptime: 1 day, 4:20:29
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 21.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 52
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 47
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Not yet,
I'll place an order manually for you, the order system is down at present so I'll pick this up in the morning.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mandoo
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, I'd appreciate that. Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mandoo
Dabbler

No change again today which means I've been on a 2mb connection since Monday.
I can't seem to find out for certain whether there is work being done on my exchange or not, and BT are not reporting any faults.
I don't think its a coincidence that the 21CN upgrades went live the same day my speed dropped, could BT have downgraded the 20CN to prepare for people switching over to the newer network?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Mandoo,
looks like the profile is stuck on one of the back end systems. There is an inconsistency so that the speed on the bRAS is showing 7150 and the speed on the DSLAM is 2000, so that's what it looks like is keeping your speed down. I'll request an SNR reset and that should sort it. If it doesn't I'll have to raise a fault to get it sorted, which is a bit longer process. You are on 20cn at the moment though.
Jojo Smiley
Mandoo
Dabbler

Things seem to be back to normal today. Download is sitting around 6.5-6.7mb so far today. Smiley