cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Slow speeds despite running through all checks.

Hi cheekyorobbins,
I'm only seeing sync of 2294 at the moment, have you rebooted since your last post?
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Actually, I think that's what it was when I rebooted last time, not 4400, should I leave it like that or try rebooting again tonight?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
If you're getting higher sync now then leave it but if you're going to re-sync it's always best to do it during daylight hours.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Ah okay, I never knew that! I'll wait until a better time to do it then.
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Just got home and turned on my computer to find the Internet is now barely working at all, takes about 2mins to load google.co.uk.
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the router and it's the same. Not sure if the person who called me earlier who was responding to a connection problem I logged on the plusnet site has done something but it's mega slow Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you sure it was a PN person, or have you just been scammed
What was said?

And sice when was 18:00 during the daylight.  Never reboot after about 2 pm, you will get a slow speed
puddy
Grafter

I getting to the point that I don’t believe the results from Plusnet or any other speed testing site's

I cannot believe this is correct because I am only on a up to 8mg connection, but it would be nice if it was true!!!
I did ask a few weeks ago why I could not get the full 8mg but this is way over the top Undecided

Puddy
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

I rebooted at 6 because the connection was so slow I couldn't even load google!
Just did a reboot and it's synching at 9mb again which is better but I'm getting the same old speeds, that's a shame, I was enjoying my faster internet this morning Smiley

Jojo, is my router staying on or can you see regular disconnections? I'll leave it on until Monday now.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekyorobbins,
Firstly, your profile is still 2000 and your line is not banded - but that surprises me looking at the visual below:

Can you explain any of these. Especially the large ares of no connection?
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Most of those are from me turning the router off and the series of ones on Monday are from me putting different settings into the router(trying the provided IPs instead of just leaving it on automatic) and it repeatedly failing to connect. Up until Tuesday night when I found out from you I should be leaving it on Smiley
It seems to have gone a bit haywire on Thursday though, no idea what was causing that, I'm at work from 10am to 6pm so I wasn't doing anything to it,  I thought I'd left it on but the connection was horrendous, then upto today where it was so slow I reset it before bed and it synched at 9000 and has been fine since it seems.
It'll definitely get left on from now on though.
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Just had a thought, Thursday morning the speed I was getting had increased from 350K to 1.7mb, do you think that the increase in speed caused it to become unstable and made all those errors?
There's very little noise on the line and when the BT engineer came he fitted the socket, went up the pole outside and rewired it to ensure it was secure and went over to the junction box(which is just across the road) and did that, the line comes straight in through the roof, to the socket(I'm in the top flat) over very little distance and then there's just a microfilter the router connected right by the wall, if it is unstable, what else can cause it?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI cheekyorobbins,
It's looking a lot more steady at the moment and the profile hasn't decreased. I think rather than do anything yet, we should see if today's stability remains and take it from there, just don't reboot.
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

Left the router on, when I got up on Saturday it wasn't connected at all so I had to restart it, it also disconnected briefly in the evening too, it's synching at just over 1000 although I've left it like that since and the speeds have steadily improved.

Not sure what's causing it to cut out though, will just keep leaving it on, the speeds are fine for what I need for now.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cheekorobbins,
Looks like your line is now banded as a result of the disconnections. This is probably what has made your line more stable of late. Do you have a test socket? Are you using any extension cables?
I've updated your fault ticket to show this but could also do with the answers to the 2 previous questions. Also, what router are you using at the moment and do you have another one you can try?
Jojo Smiley
cheekorobbins
Dabbler

I'm using a netgear router, I don't have the model number to hand but I can get hold of another one I can try. I do have a test socket yes, what do I do with that?
And finally no, I don't have any extension cables, the socket is less than 3metres from where it gets to the building so there's not much cabling.