Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds after multiple disconnects

FIXED
BenniC
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Slow speeds after multiple disconnects

I had multiple disconnects last sunday ranging from a couple of minutes to an hour, also had lots of noise on the phone line. This went on till around Wednesday, internet would disconnect less frequent and phone line cleared up. Noticed some bad lag while playing online so did a speed test and instead of the usual 15-17 Mbps im getting 4Mbps max. 

10 REPLIES 10
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Slow speeds after multiple disconnects

The multiple disconnects caused by a phone line fault will have caused the DLM to intervene to lower your speed in an attempt to restore stability (exactly what it's done can't be guessed at without seeing your detailed router stats.)

If you're lucky and the problem was temporary your speeds should recover in time as the DLM readjusts your line parameters, but if you're unlucky you may have a fault (possibly intermittent, which can be tricky to track down.)

Cross fingers, but be prepared to go through the fault reporting process if things don't improve in the next week or so.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @BenniC,

I've taken a look into your account today and I can see that your connection is dropping out on a regular basis, which is most likely the reason for the drop in speeds that you're also experiencing, as explained by @JayG.

As this is the case, I would recommend going through our online troubleshooting guides which can be found here and here.

The latter link will take you to a guide on how to set your router up within the test socket which more often than not will resolve these types of issues so I would recommend starting there and once the router is in the test socket leaving it over the course of the next 72 hours to see if the connection stabilizes and begins to perform better.

Please let us know how this goes and if you experience any further issues so we can investigate further if needs be.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
BenniC
Dabbler

I had followed the links prior to posting and was already connected to the test socket. Speed has dropped to around 1Mbp and even watching a video of paint dry has buffering problems.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know when you've done so over here and we'll pass it on to our suppliers for further investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BenniC
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf, fault has been reported.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks. I've updated your fault ticket now Here.

Feel free to give us a shout over here once you've replied.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BenniC
Dabbler

Ive replied, just waiting to be updated on the next step. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @BenniC,

I've updated the ticket on your account now and this can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
BenniC
Dabbler

Fix
Had an engineer come out this morning, after checking the master socket said the problem is most likely the wire coming from the pole. After disappearing up his ladder for a bit he came back saying a cover hadnt been put back on properly and the wire had snapped while he was working on it. Retested the line and evertrhings working again.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @BenniC,

That's great to hear, hopefully that's the last of your problems, but I'd suggest monitoring the connection over the next week. If you see any issues resurface let us know asap so we can jump on it for you.